Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #241
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big fan of the player and the person so I'm happy for him even if it means he's wearing a Canucks jersey.

But let's face it -- everything that he's been doing for probably the past 2 years has been to build up to this moment and to finally cash in with a big UFA contract. I'm not suggesting that he's simply going to mail it in now, but given his injury/concussion history I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferland play with less physicality than he's known for (and nothing like Ferkland circa 2015).

That said, he still has some really good offensive tools in his toolbox (shot, skating, ability to finish), so even if that's all the Canucks get I think it'll be a good signing for them.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #242
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is the same failed playbook that Feaster and Weisbrod tried in Calgary.
Yep. These moves certainly appear to have Weisbrod's fingerprints all over them.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #243
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think Ferland will actually do relatively well on the Canucks, for the same reason Baertschi has at points; he will get far more prime scoring opportunities that he deserves. Ferland will probably have a 50-60 point season with the Canucks. However, he's also the kind of player that is far from ideal to have in your top 6. Ferland is just too much of an offensive passenger to be a good top 6 option.

You'll never be a winning team if Ferland is your go to guy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #244
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think Ferland will actually do relatively well on the Canucks, for the same reason Baertschi has at points; he will get far more prime scoring opportunities that he deserves. Ferland will probably have a 50-60 point season with the Canucks. However, he's also the kind of player that is far from ideal to have in your top 6. Ferland is just too much of an offensive passenger to be a good top 6 option.

I think they'll play him with Petterson. Kid was rag dolled last year physically. Not only can Ferland play with high end players, he can also act as a deterrent against the opposition taking liberties against his linemates.

If he can stay healthy, I think he'll have a great year offensively.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #245
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For 3.5 million he’s not a go to guy. He’s a complementary middle 6, physical winger that can put up 20 goals, fight, hit and skate. Exactly the type of player the Flames are missing, perhaps Ferland wasn’t a good fit for some reason as there has been speculations about this and that. At the end of the day that type of player would look good in red.

Great story, great player and congratulations to getting paid. Canucks stink won’t wash away and yea its sucks, but I am still happy for a guy who had a long way to go with his struggles. Best of luck, light up the division (except us) and bring the Canucks to that 9th spot!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #246
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I think they'll play him with Petterson.
I wouldn't be surprised. When playing with Sebastian Aho, he was at about a .75 ppg pace, and 3 and a quarter SOG a game. He does reasonably well with skill players, hanging out around the goal and chipping in rebounds.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #247
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. When playing with Sebastian Aho, he was at about a .75 ppg pace, and 3 and a quarter SOG a game. He does reasonably well with skill players, hanging out around the goal and chipping in rebounds.
Harman Dayal wrote an article in The Athletic about Ferland and where he has success. Basically said what you said. He said he’s one of the best forwards in the NHL at receiving and firing shots from the slot and generating 2nd chances scoring opportunities.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #248
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Their go-to guys for scoring are Pettersen and Boeser, which looks to be damn solid combo for many years. Ferland is not being paid to be a go-to guy. It's a very good signing, not unlike Frolik was for us. It's the high-end UFA deals like Ericksson for the Canucks, and Neal for us that are the real problems. How much would you rather have Ferland for 4 years at 3.5 than Neal for 4 years at 5.75?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #249
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canucks have done real well in rounding out there forwards with guys that are tough to play against by adding Ferland and miller.
Yeah, should help push them up to 9th or 10th in the conference
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #250
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

VCR could be the surprise team in the west this year. This is far from a terrible roster.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #251
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, should help push them up to 9th or 10th in the conference
Like I said, I think their forward group is good enough to be a playoff team with the moves they have made.

I think their goaltending is good enough. The only real hole on the roster is their Defense.

I think they contend for the playoffs this year, so not out of the question for them to land just outside as you noted, but I wouldn't be surprised to grab a wildcard spot, or even divisional playoff spot.

The pacific is again really difficult to predict. In no particular order...
CGY - Lots of career years last year. With minimal changes to the core roster, will the flames be as good as last year or is there a regression in order?
SJ - Strong core back again, but lose their captain and elite player in Pavelski, and lose some depth.
LVG - Strong team, but has lost some depth.
ARZ - Strong finish. Some key adds in the offseason to a young group that appeared to have turned the corner, albeit late in last season.
EDM - Basically the same roster as last year, with some depth additions. I think they hope to bring up some of their youth both on forward/D and hope that they surprise.
ANH - Key stars have aged, but at the same time, the ducks have some really strong prospects. Doubt they are a playoff team this year.
Kings - retooling year.
Vancouver - Playoff calibre forwards/D, weak D.

If I had to offer my power rankings of the div as of right now:
1. LVG
2. SJ
3. CGY

4. ARZ
5. VAN
6. EDM
7. ANH

8. LA

Last edited by bubbsy; 07-11-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Forgot vegas!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #252
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Harman Dayal wrote an article in The Athletic about Ferland and where he has success. Basically said what you said. He said he’s one of the best forwards in the NHL at receiving and firing shots from the slot and generating 2nd chances scoring opportunities.
I like Ferland, and would have welcomed him back to the Flames, but he's not one of the best in the NHL at anything.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #253
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, I think their forward group is good enough to be a playoff team with the moves they have made.

I think their goaltending is good enough. The only real hole on the roster is their Defense.

I think they contend for the playoffs this year, so not out of the question for them to land just outside as you noted, but I wouldn't be surprised to grab a wildcard spot, or even divisional playoff spot.

The pacific is again really difficult to predict. In no particular order...
CGY - Lots of career years last year. With minimal changes to the core roster, will the flames be as good as last year or is there a regression in order?
SJ - Strong core back again, but lose their captain and elite player in Pavelski, and lose some depth.
ARZ - Strong finish. Some key adds in the offseason to a young group that appeared to have turned the corner, albeit late in last season.
EDM - Basically the same roster as last year, with some depth additions. I think they hope to bring up some of their youth both on forward/D and hope that they surprise.
ANH - Key stars have aged, but at the same time, the ducks have some really strong prospects. Doubt they are a playoff team this year.
Kings - retooling year.
Vancouver - Playoff calibre forwards/D, weak D.

1. SJ
2. CGY

3. ARZ
4. VAN
5. EDM
6. ANH

7. LA
You left out Vegas.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #254
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Really? I like Markstrom, but he got shelled last year, and ranked #4 in shots in the NHL. In a career year he did not even win half his games; I tend to think that goaltending is still very much an open question in Vancouver.

Quote:
I think they contend for the playoffs this year, so not out of the question for them to land just outside as you noted, but I wouldn't be surprised to grab a wildcard spot, or even divisional playoff spot...

1. LVG
2. SJ
3. CGY

4. ARZ
5. VAN
6. EDM
7. ANH

8. LA
I don't see how. Even with significant additions the Canucks are very squarely not anywhere close to the Division leaders. But even if we concede that the Canucks are in contention for a Wild Card spot, which of the top-five Central teams do they supplant? Colorado? Winnipeg? Nashville? St Louis? Dallas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #255
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Really? I like Markstrom, but he got shelled last year, and ranked #4 in shots in the NHL. In a career year he did not even win half his games; I tend to think that goaltending is still very much an open question in Vancouver.

I don't see how. Even with significant additions the Canucks are very squarely not anywhere close to the Division leaders. But even if we concede that the Canucks are in contention for a Wild Card spot, which of the top-five Central teams do they supplant? Colorado? Winnipeg? Nashville? St Louis? Dallas?
true... Ok, I think they'll be fighting for a playoff WC spot till the end. Divisional playoff contention seems far fetched.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #256
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain....
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #257
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That’s a good price for a middle 6 RW.

I didn’t want Ferland back as I thought 4.5 AAV was a minimum he would get, but at a 3.75 AAV that’s 12-15 goals territory and good value I think

Well done Canucks. Good signing.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #258
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #259
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Future results are always more predictive looking at the process vs the outcomes

I'd rather have a GM who has a good process, vs one who gets lucky on some WAGs, but crushes the team with WAG mistakes
What do Wives and Girlfriends have to do with GMing?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #260
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

really? there is absolutely no concern about the goaltending here from the media/fans. We have one of, if not the best goaltending coach in the league with Ian Clark. He was able to unlock Marky's full potential mid season no less playing behind *shudders* Gudbranson, DelZaster, Pooliot and Hutton... that explains him getting shelled this past season.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote