Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #701
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I believe Russell has a NMC, which means he needs to be protected in the expansion draft. That makes him a no go.

It's why trading for Russell and Lucic is so laughably bad.
Don't want Russell, but if he waives to be traded, doesn't the new team get to decide if they reinstate the NMC?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #702
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Don't want Russell, but if he waives to be traded, doesn't the new team get to decide if they reinstate the NMC?
I think that is only valid if the NMC has not yet kicked in. Once it has taken effect I believe it remains.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #703
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Regardless, even if the Flames were to trade with the Oilers, I can't see Russell coming back here. Would be the Flames, what, 9th LHD?

Giordano, Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington, Davidson, Valiev, Harvey the Hound, Beesley (w/ broken ribs) then Russell.

Last edited by Toonage; 07-17-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #704
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Regardless, even if the Flames were to trade with the Oilers, I can't see Russell coming back here. Would be the Flames, what, 9th LHD?

Girodano, Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington, Davidson, Valiev, Harvey the Hound, Beesley (w/ broken ribs) then Russell.
If it allows them to move on from Neal and his albatross it makes sense. I think it would also make Treliving’s decision on Brodie and Hamonic much easier and he could move both as opposed to paying them significant raises for their age 30-35 seasons.

Blueline could look like:

Gio-Hanifin
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Russell
Stone

With Russell and Stone fighting it out for the 3rd pairing right side spot. Hurts the right side but also helps the cap sheet immensely going forward. If it is not a Neal-Russell swap then agreed there is no interest in Russell.

I believe there is legit interest in Neal on the Oilers side. Naturally people think Lucic makes sense as both have bloated contracts but in reality it makes no sense for Calgary to take on that deal that cannot be bought out and includes a NMC.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #705
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Presumably if it was important to him, he wouldn't waive unless the Flames agreed to honour the NMC, in any event.

A player will want that clause honoured so he can decide, on a situation by situation basis, whether to waive or not.

The situations where players have lost this protection is when they were traded prior to the NTC or NMC kicks in. Then it is up to the team getting the player to choose whether they will honour it or not.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #706
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
Would rather have Stone than Russell. Especially when you factor in the extra year remaining on his contract. Russell provides nothing this team doesn’t already have.
I would say that Russell is actively detrimental to this team's play style and success.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #707
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If it allows them to move on from Neal and his albatross it makes sense. I think it would also make Treliving’s decision on Brodie and Hamonic much easier and he could move both as opposed to paying them significant raises for their age 30-35 seasons.

Blueline could look like:

Gio-Hanifin
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Russell
Stone

With Russell and Stone fighting it out for the 3rd pairing right side spot. Hurts the right side but also helps the cap sheet immensely going forward. If it is not a Neal-Russell swap then agreed there is no interest in Russell.

I believe there is legit interest in Neal on the Oilers side. Naturally people think Lucic makes sense as both have bloated contracts but in reality it makes no sense for Calgary to take on that deal that cannot be bought out and includes a NMC.
If you're suggesting Neal for Russel not sure the Oilers do that as they take on $1.75M in additional cap

I do agree that there is interest in Neal for all the reasons previously mentioned.

I'm also worried the Flames are shopping Bennett (be it up north or to other teams)

Bottom line, I have worries.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #708
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I would say that Russell is actively detrimental to this team's play style and success.
I would agree. Do not want at all.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #709
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would really hate if the Flames trade Bennett to the Oilers. Honestly unless Nuge is on the table I wouldn’t consider it (assuming their top 2 forwards are off limits). Subtracting Neal and Lucic from the deal altogether then a Brodie + Bennett/Jankowski for Nuge+Puljujarvi is something I could get behind. Doesn’t do a thing for us cap wise but improves center depth and gives the Flames a right shot project that was once a player they coveted.

Value wise I don’t think it is far off the Kadri deal that will through.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #710
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I would really hate if the Flames trade Bennett to the Oilers.
Yeah bad enough that Ferland is on the Canucks, having Bennett in an Oiler jersey would really make me sick.

Might as well get Iggy to come out of retirement and sign with the Ducks.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #711
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yeah bad enough that Ferland is on the Canucks, having Bennett in an Oiler jersey would really make me sick.

Might as well get Iggy to come out of retirement and sign with the Ducks.

Don’t you even joke about that, you sick SOB.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #712
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's not much from the Edmonton roster that would help the Flames roster, but someone like JP is an interesting opportunity this year. IMO, both him and Neal have about as good a shot at rebounding and contribute on the Flames top-9. They're odd dancing partners, but Calgary would do well to have young guys like JP, Dube, Mangipane, Jankowski and Bennett fighting for a spot and the Oilers are nearly out of options to fill a roster.

Especially after last year, it's tough to see Neal making a difference on this team but Edmonton's top line just needs a warm body that can hit the net. Neal is good at that, and if he can get to where he needs to be in time he could be a weapon. Problem is that he was always a step behind plays, so hopefully McDavid can just take a lap.

In return, the Flames are probably one of the few teams offering a top-9 solution to solve their JP problem. The kid has size and isn't far removed from being a top draft choice, so a year or two of development could really pay off for the Flames. Problematically, there's a really good chance that he does pay off for whichever team gets him - which isn't good news for Holland if he's wearing red.

With all the cap space they have, hopefully Holland decides against trying to 'squeeze' another team for value players and add a veteran to that woeful roster. Just waiting to see what magic he's going to pull off with $2,933,001

Last edited by Split98; 07-17-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #713
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t really get the hype for JP outside of his draft position. 9 points in 46 games is horrendous, even considering the “talent” around him. Edmonton has some of the suckiest RW depth in the league and still felt like freaking Alex Chiasson was a better fit for their one line capable of producing points.

He’s trending quickly towards Yakupov town, who at the time of being traded was worth a 3rd round pick. No way do I consider Bennett being of comparable value, even though he himself has failed to live up to his draft position.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t consider taking on that Lucic albatross just to get him.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #714
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I don’t really get the hype for JP outside of his draft position. 9 points in 46 games is horrendous, even considering the “talent” around him. Edmonton has some of the suckiest RW depth in the league and still felt like freaking Alex Chiasson was a better fit for their one line capable of producing points.

He’s trending quickly towards Yakupov town, who at the time of being traded was worth a 3rd round pick. No way do I consider Bennett being of comparable value, even though he himself has failed to live up to his draft position.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t consider taking on that Lucic albatross just to get him.
So Edmonton rushed PJ into the league, then bounced him around the line-up giving him no stability and bad linemates when he should have just been in Jr./the AHL to allow him to develop his game. This is exactly what the Flames did to Bennett under Gulutzan.

Hitchcock was pretty hands-off while he was in Edmonton. He even handed practices off to Gulutzan...Gulutzan is no good. Gulutzan is in Edmonton, so all is good in the world.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-17-2019 at 03:26 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #715
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post

It's not exactly hype. It's that he is one of maybe two players off of Edmonton that they could trade and that the Flames could be at all interested in (along with RNH - whose pricetag doesn't fit with Calgary's situation).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #716
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not exactly hype. It's that he is one of maybe two players off of Edmonton that they could trade and that the Flames could be at all interested in (along with RNH - whose pricetag doesn't fit with Calgary's situation).

If there’s no deal to be made for RNH - and I don’t think there is - I’d just rather not have anything off that dumpster fire of a team.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #717
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
There's not much from the Edmonton roster that would help the Flames roster, but someone like JP is an interesting opportunity this year. IMO, both him and Neal have about as good a shot at rebounding and contribute on the Flames top-9. They're odd dancing partners, but Calgary would do well to have young guys like JP, Dube, Mangipane, Jankowski and Bennett fighting for a spot and the Oilers are nearly out of options to fill a roster.

Especially after last year, it's tough to see Neal making a difference on this team but Edmonton's top line just needs a warm body that can hit the net. Neal is good at that, and if he can get to where he needs to be in time he could be a weapon. Problem is that he was always a step behind plays, so hopefully McDavid can just take a lap.

In return, the Flames are probably one of the few teams offering a top-9 solution to solve their JP problem. The kid has size and isn't far removed from being a top draft choice, so a year or two of development could really pay off for the Flames. Problematically, there's a really good chance that he does pay off for whichever team gets him - which isn't good news for Holland if he's wearing red.

With all the cap space they have, hopefully Holland decides against trying to 'squeeze' another team for value players and add a veteran to that woeful roster. Just waiting to see what magic he's going to pull off with $2,933,001

I get what you're saying, I'm not all that enamoured with JP and I watched a bunch of Oiler games last year because they're hilarious. But JP just doesn't think fast enough for the NHL game. He's got physical tools, but he can't use them, he's clueless about open spaces and positioning, and he's been playing pro hockey for 3 year, has been poor at the AHL and NHL level and isn't showing any progress.

Add to that we can't send him to the AHL if we do get him without risking losing him for nothing on top of that he's basically stated that its NHL or nothing for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #718
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett can go in a package for RNH
Frolik can go in a package for RNH
Brodie can go in a package for RNH
No RNH? No interest in dealing any of them. There is nothing else of value to the flames on that entire roster.

Also let's stop overrating Bennett so ####ing much. RNH IS a pretty significantly better player and Bennett wouldn't move the needle on the oilers the way they're currently built.

He's not untouchable, especially not if it's for a piece that improves the teams skill.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #719
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you put JP on this team with this coach, and with the leaders and offence we have-he's got a great chance of being an everyday player.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #720
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I get what you're saying, I'm not all that enamoured with JP and I watched a bunch of Oiler games last year because they're hilarious. But JP just doesn't think fast enough for the NHL game. He's got physical tools, but he can't use them, he's clueless about open spaces and positioning, and he's been playing pro hockey for 3 year, has been poor at the AHL and NHL level and isn't showing any progress.

Add to that we can't send him to the AHL if we do get him without risking losing him for nothing on top of that he's basically stated that its NHL or nothing for him.
You'd be amazed how much better your mind is when you're not in place you consider hell. If he flops post Oilers life, then sure Poolparty just wasn't cut for the NHL. But, and I for one believe, the man has the hockey sense and skill to be a really good winger in the NHL. There's no way he and Laine were neck and neck until the WJC for him to fall off a cliff. I wager he will pull a schultz more than a yakupov after leaving the OIlers.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: