Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #101
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's "anti-Stampede" though. How about a line where the feeling is "I like the Stampede and events, but at the same time animals dying and suffering for my entertainment makes me very uncomfortable."

I know that's hypocritical to an extent, and yeah I'll still wear leather and things like that...but still, I think that's more accurately my personal position on things.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #102
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
As for step 2 on the chucks: fewer horses being used for races should mean fewer are being born/raised to race. Slowly phase out the event.
No that's really not the case.

There aren't horses being born and raised for chuckwagons. They are being bred for the racetrack. And most of them will end up being sent to the slaughterhouse when they are deemed unfit to race anymore (usually around six or earlier). 10,000 US thoroughbreds will be slaughtered this year.

The luckiest that aren't sent to the slaughterhouse end up in the chuckwagons where they can get an additional 15 years doing what they were born to do. It's not unusual that the very same auctions where slaughterhouses are purchasing their meat, chuckwagon racers are getting their team of horses.

Only the extreme select few will be sent to pasture to be studs, and even then the owners will send them out to be slaughtered once they stop producing foal.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First Stampede I haven't bothered to go to in 3 decades. I just didn't feel it this year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #104
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think it's "anti-Stampede" though. How about a line where the feeling is "I like the Stampede and events, but at the same time animals dying and suffering for my entertainment makes me very uncomfortable."

I know that's hypocritical to an extent, and yeah I'll still wear leather and things like that...but still, I think that's more accurately my personal position on things.
Oh yeah fair enough. There are degrees in those that oppose, didn’t mean to group everyone together as “anti stampede”. It was just lazy writing.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #105
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah I think the biggest gap in the “anti stampede” conversation is what happens to the animals then.

So often I hear the argument “well they can just not race”. Well, that’s not really the answer you think it is. Who’s going to care for them? They are very expensive to house, feed, and maintain. “Just let them live in a field” isn’t an option.
This is the crux of it for me too. As others have said, there's no magical meadow for horsies to prance around in with unlimited space and no danger from predators or anything else. Even if you could legally straight up release every retired racing horse to the wild you're basically signing their death warrant right then and there. You're a horse, your life choices are:

A: Insta-death at the slaughterhouse
B: Release to the wild where predators, disease, famine, broken bones, or other horses will get you eventually.
C: Overwhelmingly high odds of another 10 years of life being cared for, safe from everything except broken bones listed in B, while being able to do what you're born to do and run.

Seem like pretty easy calculus to me. I don't like the idea of animals dying for my entertainment either, but the world is complicated and running the options in reality yields a pretty easy decision.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

if "10,000 US thoroughbreds will be slaughtered this year" maybe we should stop breeding so many of them? Horse quotas!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #107
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but that has zero to do with the chuckwagons or the Stampede.

They are being bred for the racetracks in the US. They won't slow down until you somehow convince them to stop the Kentucky derby.

It's akin to trying to end sports related concussions by banning intramural dodgeball. It won't have any noticeable effect. Except in this case you would be rounding up all the dodgeball players and sending them to a more-often-then-not inhumane slaughterhouse. Which I may be able to get on board with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #108
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the fireworks were very good this year.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #109
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Yeah, but that has zero to do with the chuckwagons or the Stampede.

They are being bred for the racetracks in the US. They won't slow down until you somehow convince them to stop the Kentucky derby.
But people dress like hillbillies to attend one event, and fancy clothes to attend the other. So clearly one is worse.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #110
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the US has figured it out though. They've banned slaughterhouses so they are far more humane than us rednecks.

So now when it's time to kill one of the 150,000 yearly doomed American horses (10,000 of which are thoroughbred) they just send them to...well a slaughterhouse in Canada or Mexico. Except the best part is the horses go unfed and without drink for days or weeks at a time when they make their way across the border ironically in the name of being humane.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #111
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

My experience with drivers buying their horses around here is that not many actually go to the meat auction to buy. Most claim them right out of a race on the track or buy them directly from trainers. The ones you see on the Stampede wagons are still very elite horses. They're horses someone would want for something. Thoroughbreds do it all and are very desirable as hunter/jumpers, course horses, ranch horses. The slaughter horses I have seen are definitely a lesser quality and would be no match for these stampede runners. They may not have even seen a rider either so paying a bit more for the known training is well worth it. But I don't know for sure. The whole thing really bums me out now.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #112
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of these horses are bought for a tens of thousands, although a rarity.

The chuckwagons do create a market, but remove the chucks and the market is gone. There's enough of these horses so you're just destining a horse (maybe not quite the same horse) to the slaughter for every chuck horse you would 'save' by banning the sport. The point is no horse is ever bred specifically for the chuckwagons, they are failed or retired racetrack horses.

Here's chuckwagon champ Sutherland, obviously biased, speaking on Friday about it:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...pede-1.5209651

Quote:
One horse I bought [was] a three-year-old — who was, by the way, destined for slaughter out of a Vancouver racetrack — and they begged me to take him. And I did take him for $300 at the time. And he is currently retired at 26 in the pasture.

So that horse has been 23 years at my place. So, as you can understand, there's a tremendous bond with a driver competitor and his livestock. Because they are the athletes that can put you on stage, win you the money. They do exceptional amounts of things for you. So any time that there's a fatality, it's rocked the whole community.
Quote:
Well, there's no doubt about it. Currently, there's 20,000 thoroughbreds thereabout in North America that are foaled each year. Half of them end up in the slaughterhouses. And the chuckwagon industry, currently there's about 100 drivers and they have about 30 horses — so there's about 3,000 chuckwagon horses at all times.

If you eradicate the sport, then there will be 3,000 more of these thoroughbreds that are destined for slaughter because there's absolutely no other alternative for these horses.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #113
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The rate of death of chuckwagon horses in competition is one quarter of 1%.

The rate of death for thoroughbreds that dont go to chucks etc, is 95% because they head to the slaughter house for other uses.

So call for the end of chuckwagon racing if that's how you feel (and i get it, i really do), but realize in doing so that is a death sentence for virtually every other thoroughbred who doesn't do well at the race track and needs to retire. Which is about 99% of them after 4 years.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #114
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

The rate of death for thoroughbreds that dont go to chucks etc, is 95% because they head to the slaughter house for other uses.

So call for the end of chuckwagon racing if that's how you feel (and i get it, i really do), but realize in doing so that is a death sentence for virtually every other thoroughbred who doesn't do well at the race track and needs to retire. Which is about 99% of them after 4 years.
So much this.

If you could talk to a horse and ask it if it wanted to be glue/dog food/eaten in France or race chuckwagons, I wonder what it would choose???
Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #115
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
So much this.

If you could talk to a horse and ask it if it wanted to be glue/dog food/eaten in France or race chuckwagons, I wonder what it would choose???
As a lady on CTV news was saying.. We don't have the horses consent to race them so the chuckwagons should be shut down!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #116
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
First Stampede I haven't bothered to go to in 3 decades. I just didn't feel it this year.
I don't reckon you missed much.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #117
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

So maybe we need to get right at the root of it and stop thoroughbred horses and racing in general. I have no problem with that. When horses are bred to be facer than their skeletal structures can support maybe it's time to take a step back and stop the entire nonsense altogether.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #118
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
So maybe we need to get right at the root of it and stop thoroughbred horses and racing in general. I have no problem with that. When horses are bred to be facer than their skeletal structures can support maybe it's time to take a step back and stop the entire nonsense altogether.
Horses are expensive. Guess who loves horses? Rich people.

You propose to take the Rich People's Toys away?

Good luck...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #119
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's what they said about Fox hunting in the UK
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #120
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
That's what they said about Fox hunting in the UK
Which has actually increased since they banned it. So, as Locke said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You propose to take the Rich People's Toys away?

Good luck...
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote