Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #1641
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Iron Man is easily the best Marvel movie in my opinion.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #1642
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know why people feel compelled to rank them really, they all bring something a little different and just because they feature comic book characters its tough to sort of lump them all together.

TDK featured no super powers.

I like Logan.

They all have their features.

Its easier to rank the ones that suck like hell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #1643
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spider-Man rant incoming.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #1644
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know why people feel compelled to rank them really
Just for fun. Logan was wicked too.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #1645
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Spider-Man rant incoming.
Not today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Just for fun. Logan was wicked too.
Logan was amazing! I'm a big TDK fan myself, but Logan offered a whole different take on Comic Book movies and character and was absolutely brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #1646
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I just feel much more engaged when there aren’t super powers. It feels more intense. That’s probably an underlying reason why I’d take TDK and Iron Man before all others.

Not that I don’t find superpowers entertaining. They have their place too.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #1647
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I thought you considered TDKR the goat?
In my personal ranking of DC superhero films I have TDKR #1 but I recognize that I'm odd and most people consider that TDK is a better film.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #1648
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I consider Logan a masterpiece. I have it on the Mt. Rushmore of all Marvel films its so good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #1649
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I like Infinity War, I think it's a great fun popcorn flick and it does some things better than TDK. It's certainly more bombastic, has more humor and larger fight scenes. But TDK is a much more grounded and realistic film, it's one of the greatest crime drama's in cinema history, up their with Heat or Goodfellas. TDK is like the complete opposite of IW, I mean look at how the main villain is approached. Heath Ledger gives an oscar winning performance as the Joker just a guy in clown make up. Josh Brolin is completely CGI portraying the mad Titan Thanos.

TDK is a film that will be talked about for the rest of time as being the one that really advanced the superhero film into another level, and I suppose maybe in 10 years we say the same thing about IW. However, everything about TDK is top notch from the amazing director in Nolan, great actors in Bale, Freeman, Ledger, Caine , brilliant practical effects and a perfect score by Hans Zimmer.
So much I disagree with. TDK isn’t even in the same ballpark as Heat or Goodfellas. That’s borderline offensive to me as a movie lover. It also has some glaring issues, as pointed out by another poster, so I won’t list them all. I’ll just reiterate that, much like it’s successor TDKR, it has a totally nonsensical plot.

I also don’t think it represents such a watershed moment for gritty superhero movies. That belongs much more to Batman Begins.

IW also can’t be looked at without considering the other 20 or so movies that tie into the Avengers story. TDK is fairly standalone, despite being a sequel.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses but I’d take Batman Begins or IW any day of the week over TDK or TDKR.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #1650
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It also has some glaring issues, as pointed out by another poster, so I won’t list them all. I’ll just reiterate that, much like it’s successor TDKR, it has a totally nonsensical plot.
No, you should, because I didn't see them. Or at least refer to what you're talking about. TDKR was absolutely full of plot holes, and was disjointed - it didn't flow well at all and the twist at the end also fell pretty flat. TDK was a fairly character-driven film, and the character in question was Ledger's Joker, who is probably the best villain of any superhero movie I can think of. He's certainly a more interesting character than Thanos is. I haven't watched TDK in a while, but I'm trying to think of some aspect of the plot where I went "wow, that was stupid".
Quote:
I also don’t think it represents such a watershed moment for gritty superhero movies. That belongs much more to Batman Begins.
Batman Begins is fine and all, but none of the performances were great (and all of the better ones were by actors who reprised their roles in TDK and by and large did a better job in that film). There was plenty of "wow, that was stupid" in Batman Begins, and as mentioned above, it was a much more paint-by-numbers, plot driven action movie.
Quote:
IW also can’t be looked at without considering the other 20 or so movies that tie into the Avengers story. TDK is fairly standalone, despite being a sequel.
This is a fair basis for not comparing the two, but I don't think it's a plus for IW. For one thing, it's not terribly consistent with some of those earlier movies - Vision basically turning into a weakling after effectively being a god-being in the previous couple of movies was a bit stage-slappy for me.

Look, I liked IW plenty. It's a spectacle and there's not a lot of "weak" there. But I am primarily looking for three things in a movie. First, I want a well-written script with strong characters who drive the story. Second, I want the movie to be nice to look at and listen to - not in terms of bright lights and explosions and "whoa" factor, but in terms of colour palate, lighting, and atmosphere. Third, I want some strong performances from leading actors.

In all of those categories, TDK is a better movie than IW. In fact, IW didn't really stand a chance - its script, while well executed in the usual fun "Marvel" way, had to be plot driven because the source material was, and because the story was basically set in motion throughout the preceding films, and simply had to play out to its inevitable fruition. It was the biggest blockbuster in years, so it had to favour big giant CGI-laden visual fests over actual craft in terms of what the thing looked like. And it had far too many characters and plot threads in play to give any of the actors an opportunity to really shine. It was really fantastic for what it was, but I don't think there was any way to do it so that you wouldn't have to add the "for what it was" on the end.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #1651
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #1652
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I want to be excited but it didn't grab me like it should.

I'll still watch.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #1653
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know it was based on a book series. All this time, I thought it was just the video games.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #1654
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only found that out because an ex of mine was reading the books when we met, and she didn't know there were games until I started playing Witcher 2. Neither of us knew it existed in the other medium.

Also, that could easily go either way in terms of being reasonably good or complete crap.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #1655
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is the MCU panel at SDCC, I'm thinking we will get a Black Widow trailer and a phase 4 slate announcement.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #1656
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC is creating an animated movie based on the excellent Superman:Red Son series which is an alternate "what if" retelling of the Superman story where the pod carrying him crashes in the middle of the Soviet Union instead of the USA

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...-is-on-the-way
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #1657
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
DC is creating an animated movie based on the excellent Superman:Red Son series which is an alternate "what if" retelling of the Superman story where the pod carrying him crashes in the middle of the Soviet Union instead of the USA

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...-is-on-the-way

I've never been a big Superman fan, but this actually sounds interesting.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #1658
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I've never been a big Superman fan, but this actually sounds interesting.
Its a cool series and we can finally get a Superman that isnt some hapless do-gooder.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #1659
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea one of my favourite alternate world style arcs of all, if DC animated is in charge should be good.

Watched Shazam finally.. it was Ok, but not great. A little bit refreshing I suppose if nothing else.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #1660
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its a cool series and we can finally get a Superman that isnt some hapless do-gooder.
You should read Injustice and Injustice 2.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote