Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #1621
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is Far From Home like the other new Spider-Mans where the real hero is Tony Stark for designing such amazing suits or do they actually give credit to Spider-Mans abilities?
Still a lot of connection with Tony Stark through the whole movie and various plot points. If that really bothers you, it may do so again here. But not so much with his “abilities” per se.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #1622
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think Sony will look at how the rest of their spinoffs go before agreeing to anything overly long-term. Venom, with $850 million in box office on a $100 million budget was a huge win.

If they can replicate that success with some of the other side characters, it might make more sense to spin off their own universe. That being said, some of their upcoming side projects really don't look all that great. Lesser known characters like Black Cat, Silver Sable, Morbius, Kraven etc.. are going to be harder sells than Venom.

The money Venom made doesn't matter, Marvel didnt get any money from the Spider-Man movies. The deal was Marvel gets to use Spidey in the MCU, and Sony gets help from Marvel writers and access to MCU characters. There's no reason the deal shouldn't be renewed, and it sounds like Sony wants to go further with getting Venom into the MCU
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #1623
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah with the direction they took Far From Home I'm not sure they really have a great path to just disconnect from the MCU. Feels like the Tom Holland Spider-man and the MCU are integral to one another at this point.

Spoiler!

Plus really it's all upside for Sony. They get to keep all the revenue from Standalone Spider-man films but get all the hype and benefit of the overall MCU.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #1624
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The money Venom made doesn't matter, Marvel didnt get any money from the Spider-Man movies. The deal was Marvel gets to use Spidey in the MCU, and Sony gets help from Marvel writers and access to MCU characters. There's no reason the deal shouldn't be renewed, and it sounds like Sony wants to go further with getting Venom into the MCU
No one knows the terms of the deal, but it's definitely more complicated than that. A major term seems to be that Sony cannot use Spiderman in its own live action Spiderman Universe.

The major reason that Sony won't renew the deal is that they may want to just start using Spiderman in their own universe, as opposed to being tied to whatever Marvel is doing. For example, if they make a Kraven movie, currently they can't include Spiderman. They can strike a deal with Marvel to put Kraven into a Marvel movie, but they can't just make a side Kraven movie with Spiderman in it.

I agree that so far, the deal works, as the Sony Spiderman universe has barely launched, and Sony is making a lot of money off the Marvel Spiderman films. However, if the Sony side universe takes off, and they can consistently put out their own independent films, that make $600+ million, the deal starts to look less appealing. As those movies would likely be boosted by $100-300 million by including the Spiderman character.

It's a pretty basic business decision for Sony: is the added profits from being associated with the MCU more than the added profit of using Spiderman in the Sony Universe side movies?

Also keep in mind, that Venom was more profitable that Spiderman: Homecoming. They made similar amounts at the box office, but Venom was cheaper to make and advertise.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #1625
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah with the direction they took Far From Home I'm not sure they really have a great path to just disconnect from the MCU. Feels like the Tom Holland Spider-man and the MCU are integral to one another at this point.

Spoiler!

Plus really it's all upside for Sony. They get to keep all the revenue from Standalone Spider-man films but get all the hype and benefit of the overall MCU.
Spoiler!

It's also not all upside for Sony. As stated, they don't get to push their own universe with their own side characters. Amazing Spider-man 2 still made over $700 million on awful word of mouth, compared to the $880 Spiderman Homecoming.

The difference is there, but it doesn't outweigh 3-4 Spiderverse side movies making extra money, with the inclusion of the Spiderman character.

I think it's likely that Sony does come to some sort of new deal with Disney. However, it's far from a guarantee. Once again, I think Sony will wait and see if 1-2 more of their side movies are profitable. If so, they may go on their own.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #1626
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man. I've been dying to see someone use Mysterio since the first Sam Raimi film and they nailed him in this one.

I loved Far From Home and I hope Sony has the patience to let this play out. With the way Marvel has handled both the portrayal of Vulture and Mysterio I think there is some real room to work up to a Sinister Six type film.

Also, that mid-credits sequence was pretty much the best thing I've seen in any of the MCU films to date.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #1627
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Spiderman last night. Loved it.

Spoiler!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #1628
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Saw Spiderman last night. Loved it.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #1629
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Thor 4 confirmed with Waititi back to direct.

Quote:
Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe to helm Thor 4.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Waititi's decision to direct the God of Thunder has also pushed back Warner Bros.' plans for the live-action Akira film he was attached to.
https://www.cbr.com/thor-4-taika-waititi-to-direct/

This is good news. This is basically the second Thor movie with his new revamped character, so hopefully we get a Thor 5 as well to close out the arc
Old 07-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #1630
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This is great news.

Though it would have been fantastic to see his live-action Akira sooner. He's super talented.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #1631
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow big news. I thought they had wrapped up Thor's character arc and he was just going to be a side character for the Guardians. Will be interesting to see where they go from here but I definitely trust Waititi to pull it off.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #1632
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

11 years ago the GOAT was released into theatres. I remember sitting down and the opening heist scene just blew my mind, I haven't seen anything like it before or since. There has been 64 comic book movies released since The Dark Knight and I don't think any of them had the impact on me as this one.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #1633
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
11 years ago the GOAT was released into theatres. I remember sitting down and the opening heist scene just blew my mind, I haven't seen anything like it before or since. There has been 64 comic book movies released since The Dark Knight and I don't think any of them had the impact on me as this one.
GOAT? No clue what movie that is.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #1634
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
GOAT? No clue what movie that is.

I think he means the Dark Knight is the Greatest Of All Time
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #1635
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol ya sorry hanging around the tennis thread too much forgot that people may not know GOAT is Greatest of all time. And yes I was referencing The Dark Knight
Old 07-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #1636
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Infinity War is the GOAT of comic book movies.

I love TDK for the gritty realism, Ledger's performance, and the very relevant themes but it is not perfect. Ledger outshines everyone else, it is 20 minutes too long including that unnecessary Hong Kong scene, and the final act is just one big climax after another so when you get to the actual climax it feels a little underwhelming. I almost like Batman Begins more for having a simpler straight forward story despite the villain's ridiculous plan.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #1637
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Infinity War is the GOAT of comic book movies.

I love TDK for the gritty realism, Ledger's performance, and the very relevant themes but it is not perfect. Ledger outshines everyone else, it is 20 minutes too long including that unnecessary Hong Kong scene, and the final act is just one big climax after another so when you get to the actual climax it feels a little underwhelming. I almost like Batman Begins more for having a simpler straight forward story despite the villain's ridiculous plan.
I like Infinity War, I think it's a great fun popcorn flick and it does some things better than TDK. It's certainly more bombastic, has more humor and larger fight scenes. But TDK is a much more grounded and realistic film, it's one of the greatest crime drama's in cinema history, up their with Heat or Goodfellas. TDK is like the complete opposite of IW, I mean look at how the main villain is approached. Heath Ledger gives an oscar winning performance as the Joker just a guy in clown make up. Josh Brolin is completely CGI portraying the mad Titan Thanos.

TDK is a film that will be talked about for the rest of time as being the one that really advanced the superhero film into another level, and I suppose maybe in 10 years we say the same thing about IW. However, everything about TDK is top notch from the amazing director in Nolan, great actors in Bale, Freeman, Ledger, Caine , brilliant practical effects and a perfect score by Hans Zimmer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #1638
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TDK is a film that will be talked about for the rest of time
Well sure. By you. It is a pretty great movie, to be fair.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #1639
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Cinematically, The Dark Knight is the best superhero movie. It's a beautifully shot film. The story is fantastic and, like Nadal said, is a crime drama as much as it's a superhero movie. I might agree it's a tad long. I'll also agree with Nadal that it'll be up there with Superman 1980 and maybe Iron Man as one of the timeless superhero movies.

Infinity War / End Game are amazing but only because of 20 movies that came before them. They accomplished something crazy by "finishing" a decade worth of movies but they would be pretty average as stand alone movies.

Last edited by KTrain; 07-19-2019 at 09:09 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #1640
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I thought you considered TDKR the goat?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote