Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #261
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I think they'll play him with Petterson. Kid was rag dolled last year physically. Not only can Ferland play with high end players, he can also act as a deterrent against the opposition taking liberties against his linemates.

If he can stay healthy, I think he'll have a great year offensively.
He tried to throw his weight around at times last season...got hurt

Big physical winger with concussion problems...he can't play that style anymore. I have been saying it for three years so I'm not just a Canucks hater.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #262
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think I like the Canucks' roster better than the Sharks, to be honest. I could very easily see San Jose missing entirely next season, they lost a ton of guys.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #263
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't get people ranking the Sharks ahead of the Flames...

Calgary finished higher last season even with Smith blowing 5+ games. Calgary is the same plus Talbot (I think there will be more over the summer)

I know some people are disappointed about the lack of action so far but the division is Calgary's for the taking

Canucks aren't 15 points better IMO so no playoffs

Last edited by dino7c; 07-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #264
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sharks are tough to pin down. They'll have a full season of a fully integrated Karlsson, which is a plus, but it's hard to judge whether he'll be 100% with his skating. Contrast that with Vlasic, who could either have a bounce back year or continue to decline. If so, you have to hope for significant contributions from guys like Tim Heed and Brendan Dillon, which is setting yourself up for disappointment. At forward, they lose key leadership in Pavelski and maybe Thornton, but I honestly think that if you put Timo Meier in Pavelski's spot you might actually do even better than you would have with Pavelski there. The Labanc deal is fantastic, but then you have the rest of the forward corps and it's frankly pretty awful, with Nyquist and Donskoi gone. They have no depth. And then there's the ever pertinent question about whether Martin Jones can be anything close to league average - I'd bet he doesn't.

So yeah, it'll actually be pretty interesting to see if having that thin a lineup puts the Sharks at risk of missing the playoffs. Having a top forward tandem of Couture / Kane doesn't seem like a good idea.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #265
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Like I said, I think their forward group is good enough to be a playoff team with the moves they have made.

I think their goaltending is good enough. The only real hole on the roster is their Defense.

I think they contend for the playoffs this year, so not out of the question for them to land just outside as you noted, but I wouldn't be surprised to grab a wildcard spot, or even divisional playoff spot.

The pacific is again really difficult to predict. In no particular order...
CGY - Lots of career years last year. With minimal changes to the core roster, will the flames be as good as last year or is there a regression in order?
SJ - Strong core back again, but lose their captain and elite player in Pavelski, and lose some depth.
LVG - Strong team, but has lost some depth.
ARZ - Strong finish. Some key adds in the offseason to a young group that appeared to have turned the corner, albeit late in last season.
EDM - Basically the same roster as last year, with some depth additions. I think they hope to bring up some of their youth both on forward/D and hope that they surprise.
ANH - Key stars have aged, but at the same time, the ducks have some really strong prospects. Doubt they are a playoff team this year.
Kings - retooling year.
Vancouver - Playoff calibre forwards/D, weak D.

If I had to offer my power rankings of the div as of right now:
1. LVG
2. SJ
3. CGY

4. ARZ
5. VAN
6. EDM
7. ANH

8. LA
you're right, defence was our biggest hole. I think the moves we made on defence makes that hole smaller though.

the biggest reason of the Canucks free falled last season was when we lost Edler AND Tanev at the same time for long periods of time.

that forced players like Gudbranson, Pouliot, Hutton to play minutes that they weren't capable of.

the injuries hit us hard on defence. Biega played 41 games of us and he's a 7th-8th defenceman, i think every defenceman in Utica played for us at one point lol.

now the Myers and Benn signing imo improves our defence because it means Edler and Tanev will have a lighter work load = healthier season + a full season of Quinn Hughes.

Edler - Myers
Hughes - Tanev
Benn - Stecher

vs

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Pouliot - Gudbranson
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #266
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This is the Sharks' lineup, currently...

Evander Kane - Logan Couture - Timo Meier
Kevin Labanc - Tomas Hertl - Marcus Sorensen?
Lukas Radil - Joe Thornton? - Melker Karlsson
Barclay Goodrow - Jonny Brodzinski - Dylan Gambrell

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Brent Burns
Brenden Dillon - Erik Karlsson
Radim Simek - Dalton Prout
Tim Heed

Martin Jones
Aaron Dell

That barely looks like a playoff team, especially up front (even if they add Marleau, which is no guarantee). The defense is okay but I'm not a fan of Vlasic or Karlsson anymore, both guys are way past their prime and especially Vlasic has one of the worst contracts in the league. And the goaltending is the reigning worst in the league.

They look almost terrible, to be honest.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #267
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Tim Heed

Martin Jones
Aaron Dell

That barely looks like a playoff team, especially up front (even if they add Marleau, which is no guarantee). The defense is okay but I'm not a fan of Vlasic or Karlsson anymore, both guys are way past their prime and especially Vlasic has one of the worst contracts in the league. And the goaltending is the reigning worst in the league.

Folks have been predicting the demise of San Jose for a decade. They always seem to deliver...must be something in the water down there
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #268
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
Edler - Myers
Hughes - Tanev
Benn - Stecher
If they actually use those pairings regularly - Myers on the top unit, Stecher on the third pairing - they will absolutely miss the playoffs. That is a hilarious misunderstanding of who those players are.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #269
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I like Ferland, and would have welcomed him back to the Flames, but he's not one of the best in the NHL at anything.
Ok maybe not the best, but this is what was written

Quote:
Sportlogiq’s data affirms the eye test with Ferland grading as one of the league’s better forwards at receiving and firing pucks from within the slot and generating second-chance scoring opportunities. This stylistic profile also helps rationalize why Ferland isn’t as effective when asked to shoulder more of the load on a third line — he’s not much of a puck carrier in transition or offensive creator on his own and thus needs to function as a secondary threat for linemates who draw most of the attention.
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #270
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If they actually use those pairings regularly - Myers on the top unit, Stecher on the third pairing - they will absolutely miss the playoffs. That is a hilarious misunderstanding of who those players are.
Edler is the perfect partner for Myers, they compliment each others style? it allows him to be a little bit more creative/offensive while Edler covers up his mistakes.

Edler and Myers style compliments each other. It allows Myers to be more offensive and creative while Edler covers up his mistakes.

Stecher with Benn will not be deployed like your typical 3rd line pairing.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #271
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Folks have been predicting the demise of San Jose for a decade. They always seem to deliver...must be something in the water down there
Yeah I heard that about the Ducks and Kings too...its coming
Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #272
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
you're right, defence was our biggest hole. I think the moves we made on defence makes that hole smaller though.

the biggest reason of the Canucks free falled last season was when we lost Edler AND Tanev at the same time for long periods of time.

that forced players like Gudbranson, Pouliot, Hutton to play minutes that they weren't capable of.

the injuries hit us hard on defence. Biega played 41 games of us and he's a 7th-8th defenceman, i think every defenceman in Utica played for us at one point lol.

now the Myers and Benn signing imo improves our defence because it means Edler and Tanev will have a lighter work load = healthier season + a full season of Quinn Hughes.

Edler - Myers
Hughes - Tanev
Benn - Stecher

vs

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Pouliot - Gudbranson
Neither Edler nor Myers is a top pairing d-man. And Hughes is not a 2nd pairing guy at this point in his career. That defense simply doesn't make the playoffs

Quote:

Tim Heed

Martin Jones
Aaron Dell

They have 3 defensemen that are substantially better than the Nucks' best guy. Three! In an 82 game season, that is a massive difference.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #273
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My thoughts on the division:

Sharks and Flames are still the teams to beat in the Pacific.
Sharks lose Pavelski but he's just one guy on the wrong side of 30.
We are yet to see who the Flames lose to pay Tkachuk.

Vegas has a good forward mix, but their defense is very meh.
Their 3rd place finish in the division last year is very much where they should've finished and likely be the same next season.

Canucks defense is not very good either. Hughes may be a good player but he'll need some maturing. If Edler and Myers are your top pairing, you're gonna have a bad time.
May overachieve if the goaltending is good.

Arizona and Edmonton - lol, not even worth it (E=NG).
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #274
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I don't it's fair to say "Pavelski is just one guy" though. Leading goal scorer and captain. He may be old but he didn't play old last season, I think losing his abilities is a significant blow.

But they do have a young group of forwards that could make up for the loss. But I could just as easily see Thornton's play fall substantially given his age and now they lose two of their top six-ish forwards from last year.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #275
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arizona is significantly deeper and stronger than Vancouver, IMO.

Edmonton... yeah, lol
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #276
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They have 3 defensemen that are substantially better than the Nucks' best guy. Three! In an 82 game season, that is a massive difference.
I'm not sure that Vlasic is much better than Edler, to be honest. Vlasic was downright awful last season. And then there's Quinn Hughes, as well.

Also the Sharks lost Pavelski... and Nyquist... and Donskoi. And they're replacing that with 40-year-old Patrick Marleau? Yeah, not in this league.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #277
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Oh, I don't it's fair to say "Pavelski is just one guy" though. Leading goal scorer and captain. He may be old but he didn't play old last season, I think losing his abilities is a significant blow.

But they do have a young group of forwards that could make up for the loss.
I'm not saying he's a bad player, but they made the decision to let him go because they wanted to keep younger Karlsson.
Someone else will pick up his minutes and be productive and we'll be saying "damn those Sharks" until they choke in the playoffs again next year.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #278
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure that Vlasic is much better than Edler, to be honest. Vlasic was downright awful last season. And then there's Quinn Hughes, as well.
If you think Edler is better than Vlasic, well I don't even know how to respond to that.

And Hughes is 19 years old and weighs 170 lbs. Call me back in 2 or 3 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #279
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pavelski will be missed, but they are still a deep team with a really good D. Goaltending is a question mark, but if it holds up, they should have no problem grabbing 1 of the 3 divisional spots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #280
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If you think Edler is better than Vlasic, well I don't even know how to respond to that.

And Hughes is 19 years old and weighs 170 lbs. Call me back in 2 or 3 years.
Vlasic was named today as the player with the fourth-worst contract in hockey by The Athletic's Dom Luzczyszyn, and I'm inclined to agree with him... Vlasic put up a -7.7 relative Corsi% last season and was the only defenseman on the Sharks with a negative expected goals differential. He was the worst defenseman on the team by almost every metric.

He is rapidly approaching Brent Seabrook territory with no clear replacement and seven more years left on his deal. It'll be a poision pill for that team.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: