Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #3741
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
I would assume this is with KLM, a non-alliance partner. The London leg is likely at a loss to try and directly compete with the YYC-LHR direct with Air Canada. As AC doesn't fly direct to AMS from Calgary, they can charge accordingly.
Yes, this was the KLM flight that I was looking at. Just trying to see what kind of cheap flights can be had.

Speaking of this flight in particular, is there a way to do a hidden city flight as a return flight without getting your tickets canceled?

One of the things that really annoyed us last summer when we went to Paris was our flight was through AMS both ways. Because of how we planned our trip, we were already staying pretty close to AMS when our vacation was over so instead of being able to leave from AMS, the airport that we were already really close to, and had to stop at anyway, we had to basically take a train up to AMS and then back down to Paris to catch the return flight. I dunno, it just seems awkward, and maybe we should have planned our trip differently.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #3742
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Could somebody explain again why something like a return flight from Calgary to London that has a short layover in Amsterdam is $780, while flying non-stop to Amsterdam on the same flight is $1220? I understand hidden city stops, I just don't understand why one flight is so much more expensive than the other. Is it purely a marketing thing of "non-stop" being considered better and demanding a higher price?

Is there a way of searching for really long layovers that don't quite count as "multi-city"
I suspect this is because of WestJet's service to Gatwick. It's almost always <$800 to book that flight, and other airlines need to compete with that.

Personally, I usually book a direct flight to Gatwick and then book with a different, discount, airline (EasyJet, RyanAir, Norwegian, etc.) to get to the city I want to visit. It's $80 bucks or less to book a one way flight to pretty much anywhere in Europe from Gatwick.

It's also a great way to see a bit of London, as there are lots of decent and cheap airport hotels, and great transit connections.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #3743
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't dive, but I've been to Barbados three times and really enjoyed it. I stay in the St. Lawrence Gap area. In general, the south coast is more of the fun, party area of the island and the west coast is where the rich have their estates. The island is small though, so it's easy to explore.

If you want something non-dive related to check out, I recommend Harrison's cave. I also went hiking on the east coast the first time I went with this professor who did hiking tours, but I don't remember the name or anything. It was a great tour though.
Thanks, good advice. I booked a hotel on Dover Beach, which is on the south side and looks to be in that area. I'm mostly going for the diving, but will definitely be doing other things as well so I will have a look at the cave. Also want to go on a rum tour or two.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #3744
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yes, this was the KLM flight that I was looking at. Just trying to see what kind of cheap flights can be had.

Speaking of this flight in particular, is there a way to do a hidden city flight as a return flight without getting your tickets canceled?

One of the things that really annoyed us last summer when we went to Paris was our flight was through AMS both ways. Because of how we planned our trip, we were already staying pretty close to AMS when our vacation was over so instead of being able to leave from AMS, the airport that we were already really close to, and had to stop at anyway, we had to basically take a train up to AMS and then back down to Paris to catch the return flight. I dunno, it just seems awkward, and maybe we should have planned our trip differently.
I certainly would risk a hidden city booking to save ~$300, as you risk having your tickets cancelled for the return. Most airlines state that all legs have to be traveled as booked.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #3745
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
I certainly would risk a hidden city booking to save ~$300, as you risk having your tickets cancelled for the return. Most airlines state that all legs have to be traveled as booked.
No, I wouldn't want to risk it unless it was kosher with the airline. If it was just me traveling, I wouldn't care so much about the price, but for vacations there's always the 4 of us traveling though, so those costs start multiplying.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #3746
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We ended up flying BA to London and continuing on the ground, then flew home from Dusseldorf through London on BA. I wanted it all on one ticket in case that flight was delayed. It wasn't the cheapest option, but it wasn't to bad.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #3747
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Thanks, good advice. I booked a hotel on Dover Beach, which is on the south side and looks to be in that area. I'm mostly going for the diving, but will definitely be doing other things as well so I will have a look at the cave. Also want to go on a rum tour or two.
Oh, I almost forgot. You should also check out Oistins fish fry. Oistins is an active fishing town on the south coast, a short drive from where you will be staying. There are a bunch of different street vendors cooking and selling different kinds of fish. It's cooked right in front of you. The area between all the vendors has long tables where everyone sits and eats and drinks. I think Saturday night is the big night - a fun atmosphere with music, dancing, and craft vendors as well. If you go later, the wait for food can be quite long.

For travelling around the island, there are lots of mini busses, which are basically people's vans. It's $1 or $2 to get around. You will be travelling with lots of locals if you do this.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #3748
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Get a place with a separate bedroom/main room. It's nice to not have to be perfectly quiet and in the dark during naps. Also, take your own sheets/play yard if you can. They sleep better with their own smells.
Thanks. It's something so obvious but I probably would've overlooked. Luckily there seems to be lots of places available on AirBnB right now.

It will be the first trip where I dont have any tours booked or day trips planned, just planning to take it day by day and have low/no expectations in case the little guy needs a nap, feedings etc
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #3749
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Thanks. It's something so obvious but I probably would've overlooked. Luckily there seems to be lots of places available on AirBnB right now.

It will be the first trip where I dont have any tours booked or day trips planned, just planning to take it day by day and have low/no expectations in case the little guy needs a nap, feedings etc
Low expectations should pretty much be your mantra from now on - travel or not. We pretty much exclusively do AirBnB (or the like) when we travel - separate bedrooms, kitchens (ie: fridge), laundry, usually a bit more square footage all are a plus. We did a lot of travel with our daughter before she turned 1 - I'd suggest for flights just ensure you have lots of wipes and diapers and changes of clothes for your baby. We have an extra smart phone that we use without a SIM for white noise - "relax melodies" is a free app on android with different sounds (I use it too when we travel). We actually got to do a ton of stuff with her in tow with little disruption when she was teeny, it was more when she hit toddler/kid stage where we had to modify our travel plans a bit more. That said we've hit up 7 countries with her and she's only 6, so we're doing okay.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #3750
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Low prices announced from WestJet's new low cost carrier. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/west...dule-1.4514313
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #3751
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Low prices announced from WestJet's new low cost carrier. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/west...dule-1.4514313
I must have missed the part where they mentioned any prices in that article.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #3752
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I must have missed the part where they mentioned any prices in that article.
https://www.flyswoop.com/

Their initial routes are up on their site
uofaflamesfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uofaflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #3753
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, they're not flying into/out of Calgary?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #3754
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it strange that they don't have Calgary as a destination? Especially considering where WestJet is based.

Some good prices. Can't beat $7.50 to fly from Abbotsford to Hamilton.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #3755
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Probably testing service out at lower cost airports. When WestJet initially started flying east, the furthest they flew was Hamilton.

Once they see the response, they'll introduce additional destinations but will do so in a manner not to cannibalize existing routes (domestic transcontinental is their bread and butter).
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #3756
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Whoohoo! Cheaper flights to get out of Edmonton! $386 for TWO people return flight to Hamilton this summer! chugga chugga choo choo
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #3757
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Is it strange that they don't have Calgary as a destination? Especially considering where WestJet is based.

Some good prices. Can't beat $7.50 to fly from Abbotsford to Hamilton.
I don't think so. Why would they cannibalize their main base by undercutting themselves? Unless they put Swoop onto some leisure/sun markets I would be surprised if we saw them in Calgary at all.

Also wonder if they will draw from their pilot base in Toronto for this now that Hamilton seems to be the initial focus city. Otherwise they are deadheading crews. I was under the impression they had surplus pilots in YYC and were short in YYZ recently which. But then again with the new summer schedule that may have rectified itself slightly. Will also be interesting to see how the pilot group for Swoop is actually formed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #3758
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

westjet dropped prices out of Edmonton as well. I booked a bunch of Edmonton to abbotsford round trip flights for 130
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #3759
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
There are some pretty crazy prices from Calgary to Thailand at the moment.

You can also visit both Thailand and Japan on the same trip for an extra $100.

Calgary to Bangkok, Thailand - $525 to $564 CAD roundtrip including taxes | ANA flights (new record!), add Japan for $100

Availability for travel:
April, May, June 2018

link: http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-bangk...-japan-for-100

-
Any chance this one works in reverse. I want to come home in May from Thailand and go back in August.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #3760
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we booked with WestJet to Paris. We were supposed to leave Sunday as we have a wedding saturday and now they changed our flight to leave Saturday night instead..

What sort of recourse is there? Were going to call and change but we didn't get flight insurance because we never have and never expected a flight to be changed by a whole day....
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote