Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #61
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That is just crazy. Tetty has played well, but can he carry the load as a 17 year old. This will make things very interesting
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #62
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Release:

Quote:
Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club announced on Monday that 19-year-old goaltender Liam Hughes has left the team.

Liam Hughes issued this statement:

At this time I have decided to leave hockey for personal reasons. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific, but for me personally it is the right time to step away from a game that I love. I want to thank all of my family, friends and fans for your support, as I pursued my hockey dreams. I leave with fond memories from the game and I am excited to start the next chapter in my life.

Lethbridge Hurricanes statement:

The Lethbridge Hurricanes respect the decision made by Liam and his family. The entire organization wishes Liam the best moving forward. There will be no further comment from the hockey club.

The Hurricanes have added affiliate goaltender Bryan Thomson for the remainder of the season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #63
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 way Tie for first in the Central, Rebels are 1 point back. The finish in the Central should be fun/wild!

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #64
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe how well the Tigers are playing.

They have really turned the corner since the start of December. Impressive how Clouston has that team battling for the divisional crown every season no matter how many players they lose.

This isn't even supposed to be the year for this group, as next year all the key forwards are back except for 20 year old Jevne, plus their D is mostly young and their goaltending is deep. They are already my pick to run away with the centrral next season, especially with how they are performing in the 2nd half this year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #65
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cody Glass needed helped off the ice last night, favoring a knee. Didn’t look good at all. Portland may have had their playoff hopes dashed, it looked like a season ending surgery injury.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #66
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The WHL is expected to announce today that the Kootenay Ice will relocate to Winnipeg: https://globalnews.ca/news/4898284/w...y-of-the-year/

Interestingly, this will be completely unaffiliated with True North, and will play out of a separate arena. Also, I really don't see how the NHL, AHL and WHL all co-exist, even if Winnipeg is a great sport city. And the Moose have seen their attendance plummet already. One person on Reddit reported rumours that the Moose might relocate to Saskatoon - which puts the Blades at risk.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #67
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta think the Moose will be leaving.

It's unfortunate the Ice are moving. While it will be nice for Brandon to have a new rivalry it is sad to me to see a team leave a small market for the big city. Junior hockey to me is about small cities and markets.

This will also cause a ripple effect as the two eastern divisions will not be balanced unless they move someone out and into the central division. I would have to think it's Swift Current which sucks for them as they lose their closest in province rivals and their travel schedule (and expenses) will increase which I am not sure is a good thing for a small market team.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #68
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This could be a long term ripple effect. If the Moose do in fact move to Saskatoon, do the Blades stay there? Do you maybe look at Lloyd or some smaller market? Swift does seem as the logical team to move, but as the smallest market now, does that make any financial sense? Are they better off having unbalanced divisions to keep travel costs down?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #69
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would the people of Saskatoon prefer an AHL team over an WHL team? The tickets would be more expensive and the chances to see future elite NHL players would be less likely as they normally go straight to the NHL. I think if I lived in Saskatoon I would prefer the WHL unless I was a fan of the Jets.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #70
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kootenay leaving really sucks for the Calgary-based WHL referees. Those slots will now shift to Manitoba officials.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #71
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
This could be a long term ripple effect. If the Moose do in fact move to Saskatoon, do the Blades stay there? Do you maybe look at Lloyd or some smaller market? Swift does seem as the logical team to move, but as the smallest market now, does that make any financial sense? Are they better off having unbalanced divisions to keep travel costs down?
Lloydminister is way too small. Fort McMurray proposed a 6000 seat arena before the fire hit, so if that plan got back on track, that would be an ideal spot for a team. Grande Prairie as well, if a large enough rink could get built there.

Alternatively, the league could go back to Nanaimo to put as second team on Vancouver Island. That would rebalance the divisions too.

Preferably though, the Blades stay put and the Moose goes somewhere else. Thunder Bay would be ideal, imnsho, though again, a new arena would be a long term necessity.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #72
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lloyd isn't too small as a city. It's about the same size as Moose Jaw and twice as big as Swift Current (not that that is a great feat). They'd definitely need a new arena before they could support a WHL team, though.

The advantage Lloyd would have over Grande Prairie is that it's right on the Yellowhead, so the transportation costs for the teams would be a lot more manageable.

I don't think True North will necessarily feel the need to move the Moose though. When you put your AHL affiliate in your NHL arena, attendance isn't your biggest concern. By sharing the building, they can keep a lot of the operating costs lower than other AHL teams.

The Ice are playing in a pretty small arena for their first two seasons, so they won't likely have much impact on the Moose attendance until they move into their new building. Even then, the Moose will probably have to take a significant hit before True North looks at moving them.

The more urgent question for the WHL right now is what's going to happen in Seattle. Can the T-Birds and Silvertips both survive the arrival of the NHL? Will the NHL team want to put its AHL affiliate in the area, and displace one of the WHL teams to do it?
Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #73
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah i just cant see the people of Saskatoon choosing AHL over junior hockey.

Its been a staple of that community for 55 years. Not sure an NHL farm team can push out that kind of bond.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #74
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

The more urgent question for the WHL right now is what's going to happen in Seattle. Can the T-Birds and Silvertips both survive the arrival of the NHL? Will the NHL team want to put its AHL affiliate in the area, and displace one of the WHL teams to do it?
That is a very legitimate concern. I'm not sure there is an appetite big enough for NHL plus two WHL teams in a traditionally non hockey market. And then the problem for the league would be where to put those two (or one) teams - the potential is probably pretty limited in the US and I would think the preference would be to keep them south of the border for divisional reasons.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #75
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, as a guy near the boarder here...bring back the Great Falls Americans!! Let's get some teams in Montana. Although no city there really has a large enough Junior hockey rink, a man can dream
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #76
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, as a guy near the boarder here...bring back the Great Falls Americans!! Let's get some teams in Montana. Although no city there really has a large enough Junior hockey rink, a man can dream

What about the rink in Billings? It's more than big enough for a Dub team, and it doesn't currently have a sports franchise in it.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #77
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
border
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #78
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Lloyd isn't too small as a city. It's about the same size as Moose Jaw and twice as big as Swift Current (not that that is a great feat). They'd definitely need a new arena before they could support a WHL team, though.
Moose Jaw and Swift Current are also among the worst teams in the league by attendance. The location of the city is nice, but if you're going to move somewhere, I'm not sure if aiming for the bottom is the way it should go. Especially when there are bigger markets reasonably close.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #79
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lethbridge announced today where they'll play some of their playoff games.

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/articl...r-enmax-centre

They have been evicted from the over 5000 seat Enmax Centre in late March and Early April because the City book Curling Championships and forgot that the Hurricanes play hockey in the building that they promised for Curling.

Now the city is playing at Nicholas Sheran an old 980 seat arena w/ standing room. Many season ticket holders are upset because they won't get to go to all the games due to lack of seating.

Last year when it was announced that the Enmax Centre would host the curling championships it was done without consulting the Hurricanes. Enmax Centre administration and the City of Lethbridge administration completely forgot about the WHL team.

I hate the city I live in. Now I hate curling too.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #80
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Lethbridge announced today where they'll play some of their playoff games.

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/articl...r-enmax-centre

They have been evicted from the over 5000 seat Enmax Centre in late March and Early April because the City book Curling Championships and forgot that the Hurricanes play hockey in the building that they promised for Curling.

Now the city is playing at Nicholas Sheran an old 980 seat arena w/ standing room. Many season ticket holders are upset because they won't get to go to all the games due to lack of seating.

Last year when it was announced that the Enmax Centre would host the curling championships it was done without consulting the Hurricanes. Enmax Centre administration and the City of Lethbridge administration completely forgot about the WHL team.

I hate the city I live in. Now I hate curling too.
This is something that the Hurricanes have said but was not true. The Hurricanes were consulted however their response was to the extent of "we would care but you won't get the Championships anyways." There were not giving the city credit.

With that being said, I'm looking forward to seeing some hockey at the Nich. It's been years since that arena has been full for hockey and that atmosphere should be intense.