Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #261
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

My son's varsity high school hockey team lost their Friday night game 8-1.

They had a 1-0 lead in the second period. The opposing team took a 5 minute major and on the ensuing 5 minute power play, the other team scored 7 short handed goals.

I have never seen anything like it.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #262
habernac
Franchise Player
 
habernac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: sector 7G
Exp:
Default

Just needed more room on the ice I guess!
habernac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #263
Lubicon
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I won't comment on the other aspects but in terms of elite hockey, it would significantly impact NWCAA and Royals.
And by extension I would say the same for Airdrie / Okotoks (whichever draw zone the Springbank kids would be assigned to.)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #264
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
My son's varsity high school hockey team lost their Friday night game 8-1.

They had a 1-0 lead in the second period. The opposing team took a 5 minute major and on the ensuing 5 minute power play, the other team scored 7 short handed goals.

I have never seen anything like it.
I am assuming the next practice will focus on the PK
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #265
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am assuming the next practice will focus on the PK
It was the PP that allowed 7 shorthanded goals!
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #266
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

^ doh, i meant to say PP......anyways, that has got to be some kind of record. impressive enough scoring 7 in 5 minutes, nevermind them being shorties
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #267
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Last weekend of regular season for my son’s midget aa team.

Playoffs start next weekend and to my surprise they are three game series.

Hockey tryouts got going on the labour day weekend, hard to imagine it getting that close to the end - although I should note that for the teams that make it to the provincials,they will play until almos the end of March.
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #268
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Here is a map of some of the proposed boundary changes in Calgary. The first few pages are dedicated to the Springbank-Glenlake-Trailswest area, but the last page shows the whole city. They are proposing to create a new association on the West side of the city, the last link is an open letter of opposition from the executives of these clubs to Hockey Calgary.

Map: http://springbankhockey.com/files/ma..._proposals.pdf

HC Slides: http://springbankhockey.com/files/bo...-_dec_2018.pdf

Letter: http://springbankhockey.com/files/jo...an_23_2019.pdf

EDIT: The opposition seems to be related to wanting to keep associations large so that Tier 1 teams can be competitive provincially. They should just move Peewee AA into the existing quadrant system, which is consistent with what is done outside the city (e.g. SCAHL.).
Interesting changes for sure. Looks like a new association will more rhan likely be in place. Has anyone seen any proposed changes for the south end of the city? Iím in the south and interested in seeing what has been talked about.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #269
Rhettzky
Franchise Player
 
Rhettzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Section 222
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Interesting changes for sure. Looks like a new association will more rhan likely be in place. Has anyone seen any proposed changes for the south end of the city? Iím in the south and interested in seeing what has been talked about.
A bunch of options have been discussed, are you south east or south west? What association?
__________________
Go Flames Go!!
Rhettzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #270
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
A bunch of options have been discussed, are you south east or south west? What association?
BV. Thats why Iím interested. One change I heard us maybe losing a community.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #271
Deegee
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Deegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Didsbury, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This might be an unpopular suggestion but maybe Hockey Calgary should boot Springbank out of the organization and make them play in Hockey Alberta with the likes of Cochrane, Airdrie, Okotoks, etc.

Maybe realignment might be easier/better done without Springbank.
Central Alberta Hockey League. They would need more ice as the games are 3 20s and not what is played in Calgary.

AA would be different though as it's a different league called South Central Alberta Hockey League and they draw from multiple communities in the rural centers, not like how Peewee AA is done (or so I have been led to believe) in Calgary.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #272
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Central Alberta Hockey League. They would need more ice as the games are 3 20s and not what is played in Calgary.

AA would be different though as it's a different league called South Central Alberta Hockey League and they draw from multiple communities in the rural centers, not like how Peewee AA is done (or so I have been led to believe) in Calgary.
"Rural" PeeWee AA teams are hub teams, (think quadrant hockey at Bantam and Midget) players from different minor hockey associations within certain geographical boundaries. .

No rural community has the PeeWee aged hockey playing population to support an AA program.

If you don't make your designate Hub team you get one shot at another team.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #273
Deegee
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Deegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Didsbury, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
"Rural" PeeWee AA teams are hub teams, (think quadrant hockey at Bantam and Midget) players from different minor hockey associations within certain geographical boundaries. .



No rural community has the PeeWee aged hockey playing population to support an AA program.



If you don't make your designate Hub team you get one shot at another team.
Correct.

My son has played in CAHL for a number of years, until this year where we did Super League. We anticipate going back to Hockey Alberta next year.

I know Airdrie is a hub and pulls from around for two AA Peewee teams, but they would be (or should be) able to ice a team with just their own kids. If you speak to many Airdrie parents, they believe Hockey Alberta treats them unfairly and they should only have one team. That's a whole other discussion, however.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #274
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Correct.

My son has played in CAHL for a number of years, until this year where we did Super League. We anticipate going back to Hockey Alberta next year.

I know Airdrie is a hub and pulls from around for two AA Peewee teams, but they would be (or should be) able to ice a team with just their own kids. If you speak to many Airdrie parents, they believe Hockey Alberta treats them unfairly and they should only have one team. That's a whole other discussion, however.
I really don't consider Airdrie as "rural".

I suspect Airdrie has to have two teams becuase of the number of players they have registered in their Hub area.

I was thinking hubs like, Sylvan, Lacombe, Olds, for example. All smaller populations that pull from around them.

BTW, why are you leaving the Super League?
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 02-19-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: question
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #275
Deegee
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Deegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Didsbury, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I really don't consider Airdrie as "rural".



I suspect Airdrie has to have two teams becuase of the number of players they have registered in their Hub area.



I was thinking hubs like, Sylvan, Lacombe, Olds, for example. All smaller populations that pull from around them.
Correct on why Airdrie has two teams. They did allegedly petition Hockey Alberta to have one team this year due to losing the majority of their strong 07 kids to Superleague this year and were rejected.

I agree they are not rural in the same sense as the other communities you listed.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #276
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Correct on why Airdrie has two teams. They did allegedly petition Hockey Alberta to have one team this year due to losing the majority of their strong 07 kids to Superleague this year and were rejected.

I agree they are not rural in the same sense as the other communities you listed.
You may have missed my Edit.

Why are you leaving the Super league?
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #277
Deegee
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Deegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Didsbury, AB
Exp:
Default

I assume my son will make Peewee AA next year so there is no need to travel to Calgary and Beiseker for practices whereas Olds is 10 minutes north.

We did HSL this year as I was suspecting he would be a last cut as a first year. There is only one or two first year kids on the AA club this year.

HSL has been much better competition for my son than Tier 1 CAHL would have been. I ran a holiday 3on3 for our team to fundraise and so HSL fee wise for me has been the same cost as community, and saved trying out in Airdrie. Our HSL decision had to be made in the spring, far before the tryout process began for AA clubs.

I hope that doesn't make me sound arrogant. That's not my intent. A small part of me wants him to stay in HSL as I've enjoyed our weekends off. If he stayed with his HSL team, he would also enter Bantam Prep (modified contact - no open ice hits) next year as an underage. He's got size to him.

Most importantly though, my son wants to tryout for AA this year. Last year he wanted to do HSL. Largely, I leave it up to him.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #278
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I assume my son will make Peewee AA next year so there is no need to travel to Calgary and Beiseker for practices whereas Olds is 10 minutes north.

We did HSL this year as I was suspecting he would be a last cut as a first year. There is only one or two first year kids on the AA club this year.

HSL has been much better competition for my son than Tier 1 CAHL would have been. I ran a holiday 3on3 for our team to fundraise and so HSL fee wise for me has been the same cost as community, and saved trying out in Airdrie. Our HSL decision had to be made in the spring, far before the tryout process began for AA clubs.

I hope that doesn't make me sound arrogant. That's not my intent. A small part of me wants him to stay in HSL as I've enjoyed our weekends off. If he stayed with his HSL team, he would also enter Bantam Prep (modified contact - no open ice hits) next year as an underage. He's got size to him.

Most importantly though, my son wants to tryout for AA this year. Last year he wanted to do HSL. Largely, I leave it up to him.
Do what you feel is best for your son.

I hope it works out.

I was just wondering as I haven't heard any feedback on the HSL. I know a few families that did it but haven't had the chance to speak to them.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016