Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #261
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now the buyout market begins so this is where the Raps need to get someone like Ellington for shooting. Matthews would be ideal but he's apparently going to Indiana.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #262
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Nets are trying to make the playoffs so be interesting to see what the return is. Maybe cash considerations?

Edit: Yup, but the Raps literally need players right now so obviously they must have a line on some guys in the buyouts

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093609309605367808

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #263
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet the Raptors look at Stauskis for their 3 point addition.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #264
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018-19 NBA and Raptors thread

Gasol trade makes sense because I believe Nurse really wanted a better passing big man to run parts of his offence through. A big man that can pass in the post is a unique weapon along with having the high BBIQ that Gasol possesses. JV was excellent in spurts but he’s still a liability defensively and never developed a consistent jump shot. This also gives the raptors 2 former defensive players of the year on their roster. I like the move and credit to Masai for getting it done. He was able to upgrade Gasol for JV Wright and a second while also shedding Miles. I liked Wright at times but he’s 26 and can’t shoot. It also should give Powell more playing time which he deserves imo.

Masai has definitely made moves with the thinking that he will be able to land several buyout options. Raptors have never been able to attract the higher profile guys but this year could be different with Kawhi. Wayne Ellington would be my primary target if I was Masai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 02-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #265
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate this trade. Our biggest weakness as a team was rebounding and we just traded for a our best rebounder for a guy who gets the same number of rebounds in fifteen minutes more of playing time. I don't think any upside in the improved offensive game will offset that massive negative.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #266
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Gasol trade makes sense because I believe Nurse really wanted a better passing big man to run parts of his offence through. A big man that can pass in the post is a unique weapon along with having the high BBIQ that Gasol possesses. JV was excellent in spurts but he’s still a liability defensively and never developed a consistent jump shot. This also gives the raptors 2 former defensive players of the year on their roster. I like the move and credit to Masai for getting it done. He was able to upgrade Gasol for JV Wright and a second while also shedding Miles. I liked Wright at times but he’s 26 and can’t shoot. It also should give Powell more playing time which he deserves imo.

Masai has definitely made moves with the thinking that he will be able to land several buyout options. Raptors have never been able to attract the higher profile guys but this year could be different with Kawhi. Wayne Ellington would be my primary target if I was Masai

What is the buyout period? How does it work and when does it start?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #267
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

First four players selected by Lebron in the All star Draft are free agents this off-season (KD, Kyrie, Klay, Leonard) and his 5th puck was Anthony Davis.

#RecruitingSeason
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #268
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
What is the buyout period? How does it work and when does it start?

The buyout period is essentially all year round but March 1st is the last day to add a bought out player whose eligible for the playoffs. Buyouts tend to happen before the trade deadline to clear cap space and a buyout is a negotiated fee the player is giving up on their current contract in order to play for another team. The bought out player still has to go through the waiver period where a team can bid on their contract but usually these players are not claimed because their contract usually won’t fit in with a team that’s trying to push for the playoffs or contend.

Here’s an article that discusses it in further detail.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sbna...t-buyouts-work

The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #269
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Hate this trade. Our biggest weakness as a team was rebounding and we just traded for a our best rebounder for a guy who gets the same number of rebounds in fifteen minutes more of playing time. I don't think any upside in the improved offensive game will offset that massive negative.

I disagree, I think the raptors biggest weakness is shooting while lacking secondary scoring options. I think Gasol helps both fronts, he’s a playmaker as well as a shooter and improves the raptors defensively. Gasol, while older, is still a better basketball player than JV. Pretty much in every aspect of the game. He also is terrific in the pick and roll and will greatly help when opposing teams double Kawhi.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #270
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Gasol deal. In no way does this solve all their problems, but as has been said, he can spread the floor much better. While coaching certainly had a hand in JV not reaching his full potential, a lot of it can be attributed to himself. He lacked IQ and it should be a lesson that you can't develop that over time - you have it or you don't. Skill wise JV was alright to begin, bulked up and never went beyond what he showed early on. It's a shame because he could've been unique and had potential for being a post-up guy.

I guess ownership spoke and pretty much said that they're not all in, and I'm fine with this. This off-season there's some cap space, so whether it's Leonard or someone else, I trust Masai to do what's right. Sharp guy.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #271
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Raps made a savvy move in getting Gasol.
They have win-now pieces, and this trade makes them better now.
Gasol is better than JV now, and JV expires in the same window. Would the Raps even be re-signing JV? Nothing against him as a player, but this is a clear upgrade IMO - better playmaking, defence, BBIQ, 3 point shooting.
Delon was a good bench piece, but the resurgence of Powell made Delon the 3rd guard off the bench. A luxury, and one the Raps likely could not retain after this season. McCaw making min. will be the 3rd guard off the bench now, and in those few minutes likely sees little drop off.
Miles was just starting to come around, but was always going to be needed in a deal like this for salary matching.

Now Masai has to grab a wing who can shoot 3s off the buyout market to replace Miles, which explains the moves to pay to get rid of Richardson and Monroe to maximize flexibility in finding wings and possibly a depth 4 who can shoot 3s

With 10 roster spots, they need to sign 4 guys. They could convert Loyd and Boucher form 2-way to 1-way, but then they still need 2 more. My guess is a 3 point shooting wing like Ellington and a big - hopefully one who can shoot, but at least a guy who can fill in if needed for any injury to Ibaka/Gasol. Markieff Morris may be of interest if they opt for a 3 point shooter, depending on his recovery from injury (though the Celtics may have a track on him due to his brother). Otherwise, a more traditional big for depth like Lopez, Kanter, etc.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #272
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw on Twitter that the raptors rank 28th in assists from the elbows, Gasol has been the league leader in elbow touches since 2013. Having Gasol as another facilitator gives the raptors a dimension they have not had in the past. Combine Gasol’s passing with a player like Siakam, who is already a premier slasher at the 4 spot and the raptors may have a deadly combo here.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #273
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thescore.com/s/9136005
Raptors convert F Chris Boucher from 2-way deal and sign to multi-year NBA contract

https://www.thescore.com/s/9138652
Raptors sign G Malcolm Miller
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #274
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

My phone just buzzed that the Raptors are going to sign Lin.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #275
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn

Jeremy Lin is finalizing a buyout with Atlanta, clearing the way for him to sign with Toronto, agents Jim Tanner and Roger Montgomery tell ESPN.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #276
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For those of us that don't really follow non-Raptors NBA teams that closely, is Lin anywhere near as good as he was during his run with the Knicks? Or of any use at all anymore?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #277
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
For those of us that don't really follow non-Raptors NBA teams that closely, is Lin anywhere near as good as he was during his run with the Knicks? Or of any use at all anymore?

He’s a solid back up PG who can shoot at a decent clip and play make. He’s better than Delon so it’s an upgrade for sure.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #278
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fred VV is out 3-weeks with a thumb injury.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1715530
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #279
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Only watched a few minutes of Gasol in the Raptors win tonight, but I could get used to that. Looked good and crowd was loving it.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #280
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Gasol was super impressive in the 2nd half. I look forward to him getting more minutes.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote