Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 2018/19 NCAA Basketball thread

Thought I would start this as the season is underway though not a lot matters until February.

But...

A giant LOL to this...

Quote:
On Monday, the NCAA released its first-ever edition of the men's basketball NET ratings to boos from observers who wondered how a tool created to make things better had actually yielded more baffling results than the method it was designed to replace.

Among the head-scratchers in the initial rankings released three weeks into the 2018-19 season: Kentucky is ranked 61st. The Wildcats have one, 34-point neutral site loss to Duke, the Associated Press poll's No. 1 team last week.

Ohio State, which has wins against four sub-200 squads in KenPom.com's rankings, is No. 1 in the NET ratings.

Loyola Marymount, a team with a 7-0 record, started its season with a victory over Westcliff University, an unaffiliated school. Yet the Lions (10th) are ranked one spot ahead of Kansas, which has neutral-site wins over Michigan State and Tennessee, both top-10 teams in the latest AP poll.

Michigan State is also four spots ahead of the Kansas team it lost to in the Champions Classic.
Quote:
Among the critics of the new system Monday was statistician Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight, who called the first list "the worst rankings I've ever seen in any sport, ever."

"I guess I'm not sympathetic because a lot of smart people have worked on this problem (power rankings) for a LONG time and the NCAA ignored all that and came up with something that doesn't reflect methodological best practices and which doesn't make sense, basketball-wise," Silver wrote on Twitter.

At least there are multiple layers of playoffs to eliminate most of this BS, but still.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a terrific play by Mike Krzyzewski, what a shot by Reddish ... and what a kick in the balls for Florida State.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord the PAC 12 stinks as basketball# conference. Washington might be the only team to get in.

Cal has an 0-8 conference record in a terrible Pac-12, losing by an average of more than 16 points per game.

Next-level bad at basketball.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Zion Williamson has turned Wednesday's North Carolina-Duke game into the Super Bowl.

Well, it'll cost you the price of a Super Bowl ticket to see the game, at least.

If you're interested in squeezing into Cameron Indoor Stadium to watch the first installment of the legendary rivalry in 2019, you'll have to spend $2,500, the price of the cheapest available ticket. That's just shy of the $2,674 you would have paid on Jan. 27 for the cheapest available ticket to the Feb. 3 Super Bowl, per Kyle Zorn, a marketing strategist for secondary ticket seller TickPick.

One ticket to this week's UNC-Duke game sold for $10,652, per Vivid Seats. Zorn said there is only one other athlete who is comparable to Williamson and his impact on ticket prices: LeBron James after he signed with the Los Angeles Lakers last summer.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ion-williamson
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

That article was kind of debunked. Scalper prices are typical for this game at Cameron every year. Still it is a big game. Obama’s In the house.

Zion blew through his shoe in the weirdest play I’ve ever seen in the opening minute and looks like he’s hurt. Can’t be a good look for Nike!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1098406643723845632
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could turn into a pretty big story. He's out for the game in what looked like some kind of ligament injury to his knee entirely caused by his shoe failing on his first time testing it in the game.

How does Nike handle this if they just caused a significant injury to the very hyped automatic #1 draft pick?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1098407728744144896
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yeah, it's a problem. One and done basketball players are a terrible deal for the players.

There's not an easy answer though when almost all ncaa athletes (even in BB and football) play on teams that already cost their schools more than they bring in.

Any resolution to this problem that ends up with the schools giving up more educational dollars to fund their sporting teams makes things way worse from my perspective.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well even if the injury is serious it won't affect his draft stock at all, but the one and done rule should be scrapped. The NBA is considering letting the G-League have guys out of high school in it, which seems a better deal for everyone since most top guys just don't care about school.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tennessee’s flopping have just caused them a game

LSU won without Tremont Waters and with Naz Reid only scoring 1 point (which came in OT).

Old 02-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you need a coach this offseason, and I think it would take an awful lot at an ideal spot, how much are you offering Chris Beard to run your program? He’s done a helluva job in Lubbock.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'd be interested to see the Canadian champions get invited to March Madness. Is Carleton as good as some of the other 16th seeds that get invited?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #14
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'd be interested to see the Canadian champions get invited to March Madness. Is Carleton as good as some of the other 16th seeds that get invited?
16th seeds aren't invited though...they come as small conference champions generally. Automatic births.

Now does Carleton or a Calgary stack up against them? I have my doubts but its an interesting question.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #15
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Huggins and West Virginia just pulled the upset over Texas Tech. They simply wanted it more than Tech tonight. Heck of a coaching job by Huggins to have his team keep buying in. The Mountaineers are just 80 minutes away from an automatic bid into the NCAA tourney.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #16
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zion gets injured, and people start to talk themselves into maybe Ja Morant could go number one. Within ten minutes of his first game back, Zion reminds everyone that's pretty stupid thinking. What a ridiculous talent.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #17
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michigan State beat Michigan three times, won the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles — and gets a No. 2 seed in Duke’s region.

Michigan got a much better draw than them. They# got absolutely hosed by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee.