Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #2561
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
For those with Disney+, we enjoyed The Americans. I found myself cheering for the Russian spies.
On Season 4 right now. I watched season 1 and 2 a few years ago and thought it was good but a bit slow. Season 3 was a total shift and its been excellent since.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #2562
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Americans is excellent, an incredibly well written series. For me it's right up there with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos etc
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #2563
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked the Americans, but it had a pretty rough stretch when it started delving into the teenaged angst realm. Thankfully it pulled itself out.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #2564
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I really liked the Americans, but it had a pretty rough stretch when it started delving into the teenaged angst realm. Thankfully it pulled itself out.
I’m in season 2 right now, I think I’m in that stretch.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #2565
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Americans is great. And you do find yourself cheering for the Russian spies which is kind of the essence of its greatness.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:36 PM   #2566
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Americans is great. And you do find yourself cheering for the Russian spies which is kind of the essence of its greatness.
Well this seems like the opportune moment to be watching this show!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #2567
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Station Eleven is...a show I watched. I'm a little surprised at the praise it's received, although I do have to admit the good parts were really good, but for the most part it just seemed strange, slow, and boring. It never decides if it wants to be grounded or fantastical, although when it flirts with the former the show was much better.

Can't say I recommend this one unless you're out of things to watch.

Spoiler!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #2568
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Got into Severance, weird ass show but I can't stop watching. The office building has a very strong vibe from the game Control
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #2569
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Station Eleven is...a show I watched. I'm a little surprised at the praise it's received, although I do have to admit the good parts were really good, but for the most part it just seemed strange, slow, and boring. It never decides if it wants to be grounded or fantastical, although when it flirts with the former the show was much better.

Spoiler!
sorry Station Eleven fans, my brain categorically rejected that show. I simply could not relate to the way characters were reacting to each other, or to the collapse of civilization in general.

I could not even find validation of my opinion online, as the vast majority of written and video reviews love it. the only evidence I have that it might not be a universally accepted masterpiece is the google user review percentage:

but of course even then I didn't agree with that many of the negative users reviews because at least half of them were complaining about excessive wokeness or HBO libtards or something.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #2570
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
sorry Station Eleven fans, my brain categorically rejected that show. I simply could not relate to the way characters were reacting to each other, or to the collapse of civilization in general.

I could not even find validation of my opinion online, as the vast majority of written and video reviews love it. the only evidence I have that it might not be a universally accepted masterpiece is the google user review percentage:

but of course even then I didn't agree with that many of the negative users reviews because at least half of them were complaining about excessive wokeness or HBO libtards or something.
The amount of substance and style that feels like it was ripped right out of Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy is pretty remarkable.

At least a dozen times I said to myself that this sure reminds me of Oryx & Crake and The Year of the Flood, minus the absurd satire.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #2571
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

Spoiler!
Your analysis of the good parts being really good is spot on. The overall narrative and character development of certain characters is awful, while others like Jeevan are really well done.

You truly have to ignore chunks of the show.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #2572
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just finished the first three episodes of From on Epix. It's a supernatural show about a town that traps people in it and at night, monsters come out to play searching for people to munch on. I've enjoyed it so far. Its creepy and pretty gory.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2022, 08:28 PM   #2573
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why Euphoria gets so little love in this thread. Finale tonight was great, and it definitely it up there with the best on HBO.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:24 PM   #2574
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I'm not sure why Euphoria gets so little love in this thread. Finale tonight was great, and it definitely it up there with the best on HBO.
We’re only 2 episodes in and it’s great. Different than a lot of shows we watch. But we’re really enjoying it.

Only ####ty thing is it’s on crave and I ####ed up and bought a Vizio which doesn’t have the app so I need the laptop to watch crave where my wife likes to watch shows. Somewhat annoying.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #2575
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

MacGruber

I’ll put the trailer, which isn’t as good as the show, in NSFW as it’s got an f-bomb

NSFW!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:11 PM   #2576
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched 3 episodes of MacGruber and have no reason whatsoever to further pervert the the value of the film, which may be one of the most underrated comedies of all time.

The series has been awful.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #2577
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given what we are experiencing globally, I will give a significant thumbs up to the HBO mini series Chernobyl about the 1986 nuclear explosion.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #2578
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Given what we are experiencing globally, I will give a significant thumbs up to the HBO mini series Chernobyl about the 1986 nuclear explosion.
The best part is how well done it was

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:35 PM   #2579
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chernobyl was my favourite TV show this last decade. Absolute masterclass all the way through

Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 04:59 PM   #2580
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chernobyl was amazing but I'm never watching it again because of that ONE EPISODE. you all know which one I'm talking about.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote