Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #221
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hey look guys, a Bernie Bro.

"Bigoted comments"...
Yeah... because stereotyping/stigmatizing Bernie supporters based on gender, race, and age, isn't bigoted at all...

Quote:
Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of popular progressives on Youtube and other platforms really going after Biden, Buttigiegg and the other more centrist candidates. There seems to be an organized leftist populist groundswell for Bernie. My fear is that the Democrats didn't learn their lesson from 2016 and if a centrist wins the nomination they will again employ their leftist purity test and give Trump an opportunity to take advantage. Or it may leave a lane for Tulsi to drive through.

For the sake of all of us, I hope the Dems keep their eye on the goal and not get bogged down too deeply in the ideological muck.
That's all fine and good provided that:

1) the nomination process isn't rigged in favor of the leading centrist candidate, as it was in 2016, and
2) if a progressive such as Bernie wins the nomination, the party unifies behind him in the general.
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #222
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I’m for all the Democrats who aren’t Republicans. I must say that - maybe owing to the former - Biden is the least attractive to me of all the candidates.

I want a populist Democrat not for ideological reasons, but because they seem most likely to tackle what I consider the most important issues: electoral reform, disenfranchisement, big money in politics, grifting, fraud, and gerrymandering.

Authoritarianism is gross, and the Republicans have bought into it because demographic trends don’t favour them. Eff that - fair is fair.

I’d probably be for Warren at this stage, as she seems to represent best these concerns to me. We’ll see if I change my mind.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #223
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cause with 15-18 already irrelevant candidates running, what we really need is another one

https://twitter.com/user/status/1128242890528964608
Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #224
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

The same thing happened with the GOP last election. While the Dems had Hillary, Bernie and a couple other candidates the Republicans had 22 candidates, depending on how you count. Some would argue that the huge field got us Trump because he stood out from the rest. If the same holds true for Democrats it would bode well for the less centrist candidates.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #225
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The major difference being the Dems have two established candidates who already have roughly 40% of the vote locked up in Bernie and Biden. The GOP race was significantly more wide open. The debates will be a trainwreck, and unlike Trump there isn't going to be a Dem who will try and say extreme things to stand out. In the Dem race that person likely gets exiled.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #226
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many throw their hat in the ring for their resume.
maybe it helps to get higher paying board positions and speaking gigs if they can say they were a presidential candidate.

plus I guess it helps provide the opportunity to have a higher profile for future elections.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #227
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see some speculation that Bullock is getting his name out there for VP consideration, but I don't see any fit. If a moderate like Biden wins, he needs to court the left in his VP pick, and if a left wins, there's just too much difference between them and Bullock.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #228
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are exploratory committees just not a thing anymore?

Jesus Christ people.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #229
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #230
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest takeaway of having 793 people eventually running for the Dems is that politicians in America have way, way too much money to just throw around, and way too little interest in doing their actual job.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1128982301285781504
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #231
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Kamala Harris Says She’s ‘Open’ to Expanding Supreme Court

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-supreme-court

Quote:
Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris said Wednesday she’s open to expanding the U.S. Supreme Court, accusing Republicans of creating a “crisis of confidence” in the nation’s highest court.

“I am interested in having that conversation," the California senator said in Nashua, New Hampshire, in response to a question about whether she favors adding as many as four seats to the court. "I’m open to this conversation about increasing the number of people on the United States Supreme Court.”

She said she’s also interested in applying term limits to the court and limiting the number of nominees for any particular president.
This is the kind of dirty tricks the Reps would pull. I like it.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #232
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

She really shouldn't be giving Trump any ideas...That' be a disaster if he put4 more Conservative judges in.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #233
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's still early of course, but the other 17 people in this race should probably bail, too much overlap with these five. No shock either Biden has the widest lead in a hypothetical general.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #234
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The apparent strategy is with the more candidates that throw their hats into the ring, the better the chance lower polling candidates have of gaining super delegate support and moving past Iowa and beyond.

If Buttigieg bows out early enough, he can use the increased profile and line up a shot at the Indiana governors mansion and do some meaningful work in Pence's state.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #235
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
She really shouldn't be giving Trump any ideas...That' be a disaster if he put4 more Conservative judges in.
Not really, they already have a majority, they'd just pad it, and the next administration could just add more to create a majority.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #236
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its like by giving trash status quo boring corporate candidates like Clinton and Biden they really want Trump to win. Id love to see some actual candidates like Warren or Sanders win but if Biden wins id rather see Trump win again. At least its entertaining when he's president.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #237
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

remember when Michael Avenatti was gonna run lol

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #238
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Its like by giving trash status quo boring corporate candidates like Clinton and Biden they really want Trump to win. Id love to see some actual candidates like Warren or Sanders win but if Biden wins id rather see Trump win again. At least its entertaining when he's president.
There's a reason Biden is +11 in the poll and Bernie only +6. People seem to forget America is a center-right country that is drifting more right. Nominating the furthest left candidate in ages is not the path to victory. Also worth remembering even center-left Canada has never given Bernie's Canadian doppelganger, the NDP, the ability to govern. So why would America have a further left leader than Canada has ever had? A pipe dream really.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #239
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

To me the thing that Dems should really focus on is understanding who the disenfranchised Trump voters are and focus on wooing them...

Trumpers are gonna Trump...Dems will line up behind the Blue candidate (although there will be an unfortunate 'sour grapes' attrition regardless of who the nominee is). But giving the 'undecideds' a reason to bail is the only way to success and, in my opinion, the 'Angry Dem' (while justified) is NOT the strategic choice.

The Primary goal is a resounding pounding of Trump in 2020 and the candidate best suited to do that is all that matters. A candidate with progressive ideals that loses to Trump is a waste of the last opportunity the Country has to get its #### together.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #240
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal choices would be Warren then Buttigieg.

Wouldn't hate Bernie, just think he's too up there in age.

I really think choosing Biden would be a huge mistake.