Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #21
Njord
Farm Team Player

Exp:

No
Njord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:16 AM   #22
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
2020 clear cut #1 OA Alexis Lafreniere has 1 year left on his ELC and is a third line player on the Rangers.

He is a LW

Quinton Byfield 2020 #2 OA is the large centre the Flames need to build around. He was given 4th line minutes in the first 2 LA playoff games before being replaced by Rasmus Kupari.

Maybe LA would take Tkachuk for Byfield. Would the Flames be willing to wait a couple of years to see Byfield blossom. He isn't as impactful in his D+2 year as Tkachuk was in D+1 and D+2.
Nope.
Byfield was over hyped his draft year, I don’t see him ever getting 100+ pts in the NHL. People here hate players who can’t skate well, Byfield will be lucky to become a bigger Monahan, and I don’t even know if that will happen.

If you’re trading away Matthew it needs to make you better not worse.
We know what we have in Tkachuk and you know he’s put up a 100pt season in NHL.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #23
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d trade Matthew Tkachuk to New Jersey for the #2 - Logan Cooley becomes a foundational piece this team needs.

It also then allows the Flames to go target Kadri or Forsberg in free agency.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I’d trade Matthew Tkachuk to New Jersey for the #2 - Logan Cooley becomes a foundational piece this team needs.

Flames trading away players like Tkachuk for draft picks makes them less attractive to high profile free agents than they already are. Kadri already blocked a trade to Calgary once.

Teams like the Rangers can go into a rebuild and still get the top UFA's to sign with them, the Flames can't.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #25
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Forsberg yes. Kadri can suck a four letter work for coitus that rhymes with suck. He already snubbed the Flames once. He can rot for all I care.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Flames trading away players like Tkachuk for draft picks makes them less attractive to high profile free agents than they already are. Kadri already blocked a trade to Calgary once.

Teams like the Rangers can go into a rebuild and still get the top UFA's to sign with them, the Flames can't.
Fair enough.

...I mean, we did sign Tanev and Markstrom pretty recently. If Johnny stays, there's a chance. Players also want to be wanted, so if we come in and offer Kadri top dollar and he knows we've been after him for years? It may work.

Trading Tkachuk for the 2nd overall isn't the Flames rebuilding in my eyes (so long as they keep Gaudreau).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Forsberg yes. Kadri can suck a four letter work for coitus that rhymes with suck. He already snubbed the Flames once. He can rot for all I care.
From his own mouth he turned down the CGY trade and believed there wasn't another trade on the horizon. He was wrong. He thought he was going to be able to stay and play for his hometown team.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #27
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like it or not, the Flames window for the Cup is 2 years, becuase that's why Sutter is here.

I'm fine with that, but many on here who prefer to speculate on the uncertain potential of how 17-19 year old kids will mature and fit in as a pro to shape the franchise in 3-5+ years, may not be.

However, any trades or transactions this organization does, should be viewed through that shorter term lens.

Doesn't mean young guys are going to be brought up and along, but it also doesn't mean a top down rebuild for a couple years.
Crossing topics I am sure that BT and the Flames have a pretty good idea of what JG and MT are doing this offseason already, so have factored that into the team structure for next few years.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #28
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough.

From his own mouth he turned down the CGY trade and believed there wasn't another trade on the horizon. He was wrong. He thought he was going to be able to stay and play for his hometown team.

I don;t know that I believe him personally. He said that AFTER the outcry from Flames fans. It to me, felt like damage control. I might be wrong as I clearly have no idea what Kadri is actually thinking, but that's how it looked and felt.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:32 AM   #29
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Kadri can suck a four letter work for coitus that rhymes with suck.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #30
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Like it or not, the Flames window for the Cup is 2 years, becuase that's why Sutter is here.

I'm fine with that, but many on here who prefer to speculate on the uncertain potential of how 17-19 year old kids will mature and fit in as a pro to shape the franchise in 3-5+ years, may not be.

However, any trades or transactions this organization does, should be viewed through that shorter term lens.

Doesn't mean young guys are going to be brought up and along, but it also doesn't mean a top down rebuild for a couple years.
Crossing topics I am sure that BT and the Flames have a pretty good idea of what JG and MT are doing this offseason already, so have factored that into the team structure for next few years.
I believe Sutter will be here for longer than just 1 more year. Dude came here on a mission. He knows what it takes from a roster perspective, and he was pretty openly critical of his roster this year at times.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #31
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames "window" is cloudy at best.

Their best player could walk as a free agent in a little over a months time. Then the window slams shut right on their fingers.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #32
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan + Hanowkski should get it done.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #33
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe Sutter will be here for longer than just 1 more year. Dude came here on a mission. He knows what it takes from a roster perspective, and he was pretty openly critical of his roster this year at times.
Well, I said or meant 2 more. I believe he has a 3 year contract, but he has full control of his situation, or should.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 11:06 AM   #34
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...box=1653522766

If the Flames are actually entertaining trading Tkachuk I would way rather have Treliving sniffing around Ottawa. Perhaps something around

7th overall and Stutzle for Tkachuk and Monahan with the Flames eating 50% of Monahan next year.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #35
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post

If the Flames are actually entertaining trading Tkachuk I would way rather have Treliving sniffing around Ottawa. Perhaps something around

7th overall and Stutzle for Tkachuk and Monahan with the Flames eating 50% of Monahan next year.
I hate doing trade proposals, but I don't think that would be something Treliving would entertain.

I think it would be more along the lines of Tkachuk + Kylington for Chabot + Batherson and whatever other small pieces are needed to even it out, if any.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #36
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn’t reject Calgary as much as he wanted to stay in Toronto
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 11:15 AM   #37
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would trade Tkachuk for the 2nd pick , no question ask

Use the money to improve important stuff like a true #1 dman or even better defensive dman

And yeah they can have Markstrom for free if they want. If you can’t beat the Oilers, I don’t want you
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #38
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I like this deal if the Flames can keep Gaudreau and add a piece like Forsberg in free agency.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #39
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

You ain’t getting Stutzle and a high pick for Tkachuk and a salary dump

That’s laughable
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #40
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You go back 51 years to find 9 players who may be able to compete with Tkachuk. Tkachuk is already a better player than Heatley or Yasmin, so that takes it down to 7. Dionne made the second round twice in his career, so if you are looking for playoff success he may not be your guy. And the number two pick will not get 100 points in his third year, I doubt the number 2 pick will get 100 points in his first 3 years after the draft let alone in one year.
Lol Tkachuk is not already better than Dany Heatley, come on now.

2x 50 goals
2x 41 goals
2x 39 goals
9x 20 goals
2x 100+ points
5x PPG
0.91 career regular season PPG
0.82 career playoff PPG

Vs

1x 42 goals
1x 34 goals
4x 20 goals
1x 100+ points
1x PPG
0.89 career regular season PPG
0.55 career playoff PPG

“Already better” - more like “has so far to go if he even wants to be considered in the same conversation as Dany Heatley”.

Tags
calgary flames , draft day splash? , draft picks , new jersey , trade idea