Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2022, 04:20 PM   #61
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure what thread this belongs in because I'm talking Johnny in many, but I believe he was very genuine in saying he wants to be here. I think reading between the lines he's looking at an eight-year deal to stay. Treliving's job is to try and get the AAV as low as he can to fit other pieces around him.

But I feel strongly we can put the Philly rumours to rest pretty soon.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...gent-contract/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #62
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope you are right Steve.

Johnny just won't look right in another jersey. Probably more than any Flame ever besides Iginla.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #63
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

So we had tons to luck during the regular season to have no major injuries and then a significant portion of team gets injuried during the playoffs.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #64
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
There is only 1 winner.

End of the day everyone else will go home hurt with some soul searching to do on what it takes to win in the playoffs.

You can find similar examples of most Stanley Cup winners who had to go that route. Colorado is a great example as I think they win it all this year. Lots of failure and disappointment. All about how to take the next step.

Flames need to decide on how they will take the next step. Learn from this, retool a bit, go hard into next year. Or, sit and despair over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
Not sure what thread this belongs in because I'm talking Johnny in many, but I believe he was very genuine in saying he wants to be here. I think reading between the lines he's looking at an eight-year deal to stay. Treliving's job is to try and get the AAV as low as he can to fit other pieces around him.

Hey Steve, in case no one has said it, thank you very much for coming aboard and giving us your balanced outlook. I have enjoyed reading your takes on everything very much! Nice to have a member of the media here!! Let's do this again next year, or when Johnny signs!
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #65
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really seems like Johnny doesn't have much of a mind for leaving. Hope the money isn't too crazy.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #66
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree. He mentioned the 8 years during his garbage bag day interview and seems very genuine when he says he, his wife, his parents, uncle, brother and sister love Calgary. With Tre already saying he'll move heaven and earth and now, Johnny's comments, I think most of us will be very happy some time this summer when he re-signs, with a small (but vocal bunch on CP) disappointed because they've predicted he would walk for a long time and they won't get to quote themselves and pat themselves on the back.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #67
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I agree. He mentioned the 8 years during his garbage bag day interview and seems very genuine when he says he, his wife, his parents, uncle, brother and sister love Calgary. With Tre already saying he'll move heaven and earth and now, Johnny's comments, I think most of us will be very happy some time this summer when he re-signs, with a small (but vocal bunch on CP) disappointed because they've predicted he would walk for a long time and they won't get to quote themselves and pat themselves on the back.
You think that will stop those posters? They will just change the narrative to he signed an 8 year deal with a NMC so he could get max dollars but still wants to be traded out East.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #68
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like that Coleman talked to Johnny about leaving a legacy here if he stayed.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #69
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You think that will stop those posters? They will just change the narrative to he signed an 8 year deal with a NMC so he could get max dollars but still wants to be traded out East.

Nevermind posters here, Eric Francis will absolutely spew those kind of things.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:04 PM   #70
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a very big proponent of needing to draft top-3 and rebuilding through “tanking”.

…but #%^* all that noise if we can sign Johnny and Chucky and keep building with those two. Love those guys. I’ll be pretty damn bummed if they don’t both stay.

I thought both 19 and 13 took huge steps this year. I’m hoping for 8 more years in the Flaming C for both guys!

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-28-2022 at 11:15 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #71
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I’m a very big proponent of needing to draft top-3 and a rebuilding through “tanking”.

…but #%^* all that noise if we can sign Johnny and Chucky and keep building with those two. Love those guys. I’ll be pretty damn bummed if they don’t both stay.

I thought both 19 and 13 took huge steps this year. I’m hoping for 8 more years in the Flaming C for both guys!
I don't see why we don't build around 2 elite wingers and a pretty damn near elite centre, but that's just my opinion. Or 1 elite winger and put Chucky in pretty damn near elite.

If ####ing Rafl doesn't curb stomp Tanev or we drew Nashville the 2nd round would have looked remarkably different.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #72
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Might be some advantage of having them both signing this year. To build a championship team players need to understand they need other players around them. Hitting this is in mind too
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #73
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Really seems like Johnny doesn't have much of a mind for leaving. Hope the money isn't too crazy.
FWIW Rupper said on NHL Tonight there is little chance Johnny is back in Calgary.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #74
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
FWIW Rupper said on NHL Tonight there is little chance Johnny is back in Calgary.

Did he elaborate on why?
Old 05-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #75
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Did he elaborate on why?
Said a lot of teams are going to offer a lot of money and he doesn't think Calgary will be able to match.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #76
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What would he know that the rest of us wouldn't? Just an opinion based on nothing.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:15 PM   #77
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Said a lot of teams are going to offer a lot of money and he doesn't think Calgary will be able to match.

Phew, for a moment I thought he had an private interview with Gaudreau that Gaudreau told them he is not signing in Calgary. May be a lot of team are going to offer a lot of money, but does a lot of team have a lot of cap space. And also, a lot of money doesn't mean anything. How much is a lot? $12? $15? Sounds like he just want to stir up the pot.

Sorry, the above not directing at you.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #78
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Tanev surgery is big news the more I think about it. If he is looking at a 4-6 month recovery period, then the Flames may have nearly 2 months of $4.5M cap relief. That should give Treliving a fair amount of breathing room to use that salary to help sign Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

There could be another injury or maybe a trade would be necessary when Tanev comes back. Downside is that they wouldn't be able to accrue extra cap space for the deadline, but if the alternative is to be forced to trade Mangiapane or something, then this seems preferable.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #79
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What year is it?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:22 PM   #80
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
What year is it?
What's your point?

Was listening to the radio and passing on what was said.