Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #241
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure not single soul in the Dome thought it was a kicked goal. Even the Oilers body language was like "Ah #### down a goal" instead of "OMG THATS ILLEGAL"
Old 05-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #242
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The person or people that made that call is or are oiler fans.

That is the only goddamn rational explanation for how that goal got overturned because of a kicking motion.

Yeah, they are supposed to be unbiased, but there is no ####ing way they aren't closet oiler fans after watching that highlight over and over.

The league must be ecstatic though because they get to have a Mackinnon vs McDavid Conference final.

I honestly can't understand why I still follow this league anymore.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #243
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Pretty sure not single soul in the Dome thought it was a kicked goal. Even the Oilers body language was like "Ah #### down a goal" instead of "OMG THATS ILLEGAL"
It’s not saying much, but Hrudey and the broadcast team queued up the replay of the blue line entry thinking maybe it was offside. (… I saw it go off Coleman’s skate though so I figured that’s what it was about).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #244
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was a horrible call...We as Flames fans should be numb to something like this happening, seems like every playoffs we get jobbed. This one doesn't hurt as bad because the way the flames played....it would have just delayed the inevitable.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #245
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The rule needs to be re-done. No one has any idea what a kicking motion is or isn't and they just hum and haw and ask the magic 8 ball.

I always thought the obvious solution would be to allow anything as long as the skate isn't lifted off the ice to make contact with the puck. The only reason this needs to be a rule at all is to prevent injury from people taking kicks at the puck, and making players keep their skate on the ice solves that and makes for clear cut calls.
This.
The only reason for the rule is the fact that the skate is a potential weapon when it’s in the air, and you can’t have players around the goal attempting soccer style scoring.
Shifting the angle of the skate on the ice is not kicking.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #246
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Was a horrible call...We as Flames fans should be numb to something like this happening, seems like every playoffs we get jobbed. This one doesn't hurt as bad because the way the flames played....it would have just delayed the inevitable.
See, I don;’t agree with this take. If we are agreed the Flames were playing badly, and the losses were not the Oilers just being a better team, if the Flames win the game, then maybe they play games 6 and 7 at their best, and win out.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #247
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
See, I don;’t agree with this take. If we are agreed the Flames were playing badly, and the losses were not the Oilers just being a better team, if the Flames win the game, then maybe they play games 6 and 7 at their best, and win out.
Mentioned in other threads, but yes, you're right. 3 games were tied in the last 10 minutes of the third this series, and Flames lost all of them, 2 of those games having Flames legit goals pulled off the board.

For as inexplicably poor the Flames looked compared to what we were used to in the regular season this series, and then all the points the commentators were fawning over from 29 and 97, there is no reason to suggest, even if the Flames continued to play average again in a game 6 or 7, that the game would again be tight in the 3rd. Get a Flames bounce or two like the Oilers did in the 3 games they had won in the third and were onto round 3.

Never mind, as you mention, if the individuals and team get back to anything close to what we saw in regular season or vs Dallas, no question we have a great chance of winning the last two against an unstable team.

League stepped in and outright prevented that.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #248
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

The NHL has removed the video referenced in the Sportsnet article that explains the rule.

A cynic may speculate on a number of reasons why the NHL would do that.
This is where Francis needs to keep digging deeper. He's the only one it seems of the local crew to try and stir the pot around this team (for good or for bad), so take on this challenge to uncover more around the decision and the process (as mentioned, how does the league step in by itself to even change a ruling the Oilers didn't challenge?)

Of course he's conflicted by having to probably bite the Sportsnet hand that feeds him if the league is directing Sportsnet to sweep away this issue, but regardless...
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #249
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm mostly offended that that the record books now show the Oilers won the series in 5 games.

I think it would have been tough sledding to win G6 in EDM (especially now that we have confirmation of officiating bias), but any combo of Smith being typical Smith and Markstrom being typical Markstrom could have gotten us to game 7.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #250
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm mostly offended that that the record books now show the Oilers won the series in 5 games.

I think it would have been tough sledding to win G6 in EDM (especially now that we have confirmation of officiating bias), but any combo of Smith being typical Smith and Markstrom being typical Markstrom could have gotten us to game 7.
The pressure would have been back on Edmonton to win at home. If they lose that then it's advantage Calgary in Game 7. The Oilers had won a game in Calgary, I've no doubt the Flames could win a game in Edmonton. Tough sledding sure, obviously the odds are against the Flames when they're down 3 games, but I think they had enough leadership and talent to give it a good shot.

That opportunity was snatched away by the league IMO. Oilers in 5 should have a big asterisk beside it as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by icarus; 05-28-2022 at 10:45 AM.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to icarus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #251
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This quote is great:

Quote:
"Last night it was unanimous amongst the four of us, the puck was pushed over the line in intentional fashion," explained Mike Murphy, the NHL’s senior vice-president of hockey operations.

All four men in the war room immediately started looking at replays, conscious not to share their initial thoughts aloud.
I love how their quotes basically reveal the system to be 4 dudes in a room yelling at monitors.

'Oh, we were careful not to bias each other by not telling each other what we thought'... uh huh.

Also, I have a strong pet peeve about people using controversial calls to stroke their chins and come out with their garbage reasoning about why that's not the reason team x lost.

Case in point:

Quote:
While everyone, including Treliving, agrees the call isn’t what cost the Flames the series
Well, you don't know that. In the case of the Flames, what you do know is that replay wasn't why they lost 3 out of the first 4 games. But it's sure a big factor why they lost the 5th game. And it's sure a big factor why they weren't even allowed to compete in game 6 and possibly game 7 to win the series.

The Oilers were allowed to turn their play around between games 1 and 2 so that they could win 3 in a row. But the Flames were snuffed of their chance to turn their play around between games 4 and 5 and compete for the series win.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #252
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Notice how neither Mike or Colin even utter the words "distinct kicking motion"? Even though thats the clear cut verbiage in the rule. You think they would include that in what they say. Intentional? Thats god damn irrelevant. Man these guys are clowns.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #253
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Murphy and Colin Campbell have been working for the NHL for approximately forever and basically screwed up any public facing decision they've made. Old boys club at the NHL and explains how the league operates.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #254
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Saw an article this morning where someone collected all the insider takes on the "no" goal.

About 70% disagree with the intervening by Toronto.

What I noticed was most veteran analysts that have been in the business a long time in prominent positions said no kick, whereas those that said it was a kick were mostly former players that were less experienced in the position. The personalities I tend to trust most thought Calgary was ####ed over.

Most in Edmonton thought it should be a goal, that tells you a lot.

Surprisingly, Bieksa called it a kick. He went on in depth about intent in that moment, but trying to cover it up at the same time. Wtf? I think he forgets that as a player, that play happens extraordinarily fast, and I think he was looking into it too closely.

Loved Darryl's quote about it.

Ron Maclean had the audacity to suggest the refs would be trying to help Calgary win, and that's why they ruled it a goal on the ice, but that they would feel guilty like they wronged Edmonton if it was ruled a goal.

I'd love to give a distinct kicking motion at Ron's ####ing head in the way Darryl described.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #255
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's an emotional game built on momentum.

If the Flames come out of that with a W on a huge goal how does that spur them on in the next one? You don't know.

I don't think they win the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if they built off the win and pushed it the distance/7 games. Edmonton after all, has been known to choke away important games on home ice.

I think the blame for the loss falls first on Markstrom, then team defense, then the top line underwhelming through games 2-4.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #256
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We could have won. The fact is Markstrom is a vezina quality goalie and Mike Smith is Mike Smith. They would both eventually return to their true talent level. The series was far from over. But NHL took that away from the fans of Calgary.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #257
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith still looked awful in this series and appeared to be breaking down as it progressed and Calgary became more engaged.

The Flames did themselves no favors by testing him not nearly enough in the back half of game 2 and game 3.

Didn't really push for quality shots until game 5, and a bundle beat him rather easily. I think the Flames figured out to mix it up and keep some of their shots low and a few slid under his pads.

Such a shame because his body language was oozing defeat throughout the game.

Colorado is probably going to light up Smith like a christmas tree, as they're not afraid to power to the net and their d-men can actually hit the net too.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #258
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Super choked goal should have counted. Who knows maybe the oilers tie it and win anyway but if we had won the game it’s a huge win. And gives us a chance and series goes longer.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #259
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The guys at the headquarters want to make money. That’s why they are promoting gambling. It’s a ####ing joke. They want to showcase McDavid. Intentional or not, they are doing everything they can to make it happen

As far as , the thinking that the Flames may win the series. Maybe, but that’s wishful thinking. McDavid owns Markstrom and the Flames. They didn’t lose the game because of that goal. They lost because their #1 dman, #1 forward and #1 goalie all choke up at the sight of McDavid at the same time
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #260
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post

Well, you don't know that. In the case of the Flames, what you do know is that replay wasn't why they lost 3 out of the first 4 games. But it's sure a big factor why they lost the 5th game. And it's sure a big factor why they weren't even allowed to compete in game 6 and possibly game 7 to win the series.

The Oilers were allowed to turn their play around between games 1 and 2 so that they could win 3 in a row. But the Flames were snuffed of their chance to turn their play around between games 4 and 5 and compete for the series win.
Nicely articulated, my thoughts exactly.