Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #1181
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah bro that was you
Lol. I was repeating it after I heard it

Happy to take credit though.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #1182
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always think ~57 regular season games is the sweet spot.

Markstrom started 75 this year, a 25% increase from his previous career high.

12 games in 23 nights during the playoffs...doesn't necessarily sound like a ton, but it kinda is. In the regular season he would generally play 8-9 games over that span.

Jan 22-Feb 12 he played 10 games in 21 days (pulled for 1 period). I don't think it's a bad idea to do a heavier-load playoff 'simulation' at some point in the season, but you gotta manage the load on either side of it.

He started 36 out of 43 games between Jan 22 and April 21 - that's a 69 start pace /82. Foolish and unnecessary.

He started 26 of the team's first 35 games - a 61 start pace, which I think was reasonable as it included the extended Xmas/COVID break.

If you're really afraid to start your backup it's just a sign that your team isn't nearly good enough. Or Sutter is just stubborn.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 10:19 PM   #1183
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Markstrom does see a reduced workload in the regular season next year. 55-60 games would be ideal.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:23 PM   #1184
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolf is (or was as of last night) 5-0 1.40 .951 during the AHL playoffs.

He’s got to play 35-40 games next year, and he’s got to win 20.

No pressure.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #1185
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Copy & paste from the other thread...

63 RS starts, 7 starts in round one, 5 starts in round two. While Sutter loves to ride his #1 guy hard in the regular season, he’s got to recognize that it’s a strategy that can backfire. He may have got away with doing it with 26 year old Jonathan Quick, but he didn’t get away with doing it with 32 year old Jacob Markström. Marky just looked burned out in this series. Physically he wasn’t quite himself, and mentally he wasn’t quite himself either. People need to understand that the goaltender position is so much more demanding to play at the highest level than it was 30+ years ago. Workloads need to be managed if you expect the best from your goalie come playoff time. It’s no coincidence that Carey Price “Carey’d” his team to the finals after only making 25 RS starts last season. It’s no coincidence that Kipper went god mode for 26 playoff starts after making only 38 RS starts in ‘03-’04. It’s no coincidence that Quick was able to stay solid in the playoffs after the first cup win after having reduced workloads in the next 2 seasons, ultimately winning another Stanley Cup. It’s no coincidence that Binnington made only 30 starts before the cup run with the Blues. It’s hardly a coincidence that Vasilevskiy only made 52 and 42 starts respectively, prior to the back to back cup runs. You could argue that he’s made 63 starts this season, but remember that he’s only 27 and probably become one of the best goalies to ever play the game.

You might argue that Marky had to start as many games as he did in order to have the division title locked up with 4 games still to go in the RS. However, closer inspection of the schedule shows that this isn’t necessarily the case. There were several games where the Flames won via blowout vs weak/rebuilding teams, where Vladar (a very capable backup) could have won most or all of those games if he was playing instead of Marky.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:59 AM   #1186
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm not buying that Markstron was worn out. He was great against the Stars, and then he suddenly hits a wall?
It's like a long-distance running. You run, run, run then run out of breath and have to stop.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:10 AM   #1187
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been saying for some time Sutter was overplaying him. I can’t say for sure if it played a role in his poor play in the 2nd round but I am positive it did not help the situation. I really hope Sutter does a better job next season managing his workload.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #1188
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
It's like a long-distance running. You run, run, run then run out of breath and have to stop.
I don't think you're doing it correctly!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:26 AM   #1189
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I don't think you're doing it correctly!
need to hold breath the whole time
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #1190
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm not buying that Markstron was worn out. He was great against the Stars, and then he suddenly hits a wall?
Nope. Me neither, and I am a guy who has consistently worried about managing a goalies workload in the season, and down the stretch. This year was really different because of the long COVID break, and with how incredibly well he played v. Dallas, there is no reason at all to believe that Markstrom was worn down.

It's not just him—the whole roster has struggled with the Oilers, and I believe the only way through is for all of them to fight through it, and get over it.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-29-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:03 AM   #1191
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have been saying for some time Sutter was overplaying him. I can’t say for sure if it played a role in his poor play in the 2nd round but I am positive it did not help the situation. I really hope Sutter does a better job next season managing his workload.
I think under normal circumstances I would agree, but Marstrom had a 30-day stretch in the middle of the season in which he played only a handful of games. He entered the playoffs essentially as a goalie coming off of a 50-game season, which is pretty much exactly what you want.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #1192
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
CThere were several games where the Flames won via blowout vs weak/rebuilding teams, where Vladar (a very capable backup) could have won most or all of those games if he was playing instead of Marky.
So, perhaps you could less us know in advance when a blowout is coming.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #1193
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Well, it seems to be a pretty safe bet that when Markstrom suits up against the oilers, they are good for at least 4 goals on him. It’s a pretty decent trend now
Old 05-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #1194
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Can't know for sure on any given night, but they're far more likely to happen vs Arizona, Seattle, etc than vs playoff teams.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #1195
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think under normal circumstances I would agree, but Marstrom had a 30-day stretch in the middle of the season in which he played only a handful of games. He entered the playoffs essentially as a goalie coming off of a 50-game season, which is pretty much exactly what you want.

Except in this scenario, it was 50 games out of about 57, over a 4-month season, instead of 50 out of 80, over 6 months (which is what your post was implying).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #1196
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Except in this scenario, it was 50 games out of about 57, over a 4-month season, instead of 50 out of 80, over 6 months (which is what your post was implying).
True enough. Do you think Markstrom was overplayed, and that this resulted in a poor performance from him in Round 2? I guess my point is to reinforce that I do not believe this was a factor.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #1197
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t buy into the Markstrom being tired theory one bit. Look at game 7 vs Dallas for instance, 6 grueling games prior and yet both Markstrom and Oettinger were performing at a high level. A few days off and then Markstrom goes up against the Oilers in game 1 where he was at his absolute worst playing easily the worst game of his entire playoffs.

I think the answer is simply, he stinks against the Oilers. He’s been bad against them for 2 years now and they probably get amped up to play him so they can exploit his weaknesses. The amount of soft goals he gave up in just one 5 game series may be more than all the weak goals he gave up in the entire 21-22 regular season combined.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #1198
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
True enough. Do you think Markstrom was overplayed, and that this resulted in a poor performance from him in Round 2? I guess my point is to reinforce that I do not believe this was a factor.

I have no idea whether or not he was tired. But I absolutely think he was overplayed down the stretch.

Lots of speculation that he was hurt - it would not surprise me if that turns out to be the case.

But what frustrated me even more than the weak glove, was his terrible positioning - at times too deep in his net, and at other times overplaying the play and losing his crease. Those are things that a goalie lacking confidence does - the cause of the lack of confidence could be a few things, one of which is being tired (as would an injury, as well as just having no confidence against the Oilers)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:45 PM   #1199
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I don’t buy into the Markstrom being tired theory one bit. Look at game 7 vs Dallas for instance, 6 grueling games prior and yet both Markstrom and Oettinger were performing at a high level.
The Stars aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut. They are basically a one line team, from an offensive perspective.

Remember game 3 when Marky gave up those 2 juicy rebounds that led to Pavelski goals. Also factor in Hintz being suddenly unavailable for game 7, throwing Dallas' forward group into disarray. It seems that Marky was tired in the Dallas series but was able to battle through it to put up good numbers, but just couldn't keep it up for the Edmonton series.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #1200
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Guys, Markstrom himself said he wasn’t hurt. He wasn’t tired. He felt good.

That should be enough for you

I’ll take his word for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: