Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #21
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Good summary Bingo.

It's a weird feeling that I'd be less annoyed with the Flames dropping out of the playoffs had they lost last round to Dallas in game 7 instead.
Or if they had choked against LA instead.

There were two reasons why I didn't want a BOA:

- They could get royally screwed over by biased officiating.
- They could do another epic playoff chokejob and doing it against the Oilers would be the worst.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #22
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://youtu.be/s_yGtAxJkMA

^^^ This goal counted.

This year.

I spend wayyyyy too much time defending the officials, owing to the 20+ years I called the game at an elite level.

And last night happened.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #23
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Holland has been much maligned as Oilers GM but you have to admit his key additions were difference makers as Hyman and Kane had incredible series while Coleman and Toffoli did not. Seems like the Oilers were simply better organizationally on all levels as even Woodcroft outcoached Sutter.
Right, having no integrity and signing a person who manipulates, ostracizes and persecutes the mother of his own child postpartum should make him an Oiler legend.

If the Flames signed Kane I would be cheering for the Oilers in this series because I’ve experienced the difficulties of life postpartum and always placed the health and safety of my children above all else, and unlike Kane, ahead of my selfish needs.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #24
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Appreciate it guys.

I do often wonder if the post game thread is a more important piece than the game story and that not many are reading it.
I always read this thread, it's the best source for a summary of what happened in the game, particularly when I'm not able to watch. I'll sometimes take a quick look at the PGT but too hard to get anything meaningful out of that.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Appreciate it guys.

I do often wonder if the post game thread is a more important piece than the game story and that not many are reading it.
The game story and threads are often a lot shorter, but the conversations are more thoughtful and rationale.
I think many of us appreciate them for sure.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:38 AM   #26
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have been looking for a true #1C. They had one for this playoffs. Backlund.

There is not a lot of improvement that the Flames could get from their top 2 Centres.

Do the last 2 years on Backlund and Lindholm become another window for going all in?

Sutter made adjustments for the last 2 games. The Flames as a team managed and limited McDavid.

Even on the series winning goal it was not a great play. No cross ice pass, no one-timer, no screen, no rebound no deflection. He just sort of flicked it at the net and missed the goalie's centre mass. Not a laser, picking a corner, a shot that should have been stopped.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #27
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Appreciate it guys.

Personally I find that the game story is very well done.
It is my go to thread after each game.

Thank you for doing such a great job on them.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the game stories and hope you continue.

Kane was a difference maker this series. I can only hope teh oilers sign him to a long term deal as the guy is a time bomb.

Hard to believe the mercurial goalie that got pulled in the first period of game 1 ended up winning the goalie battle. That was the one place the Flames had a clear edge.

The other clear edge the Flames had in personnel? The back end. Oilers defense is not overly talented nor mobile and Flames did not take advantage.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #29
Trippple
Draft Pick

I always read your game stories, though I rarely comment. I really appreciate the analysis you bring. Solid insights and passion for the team while avoiding the mercurial reactions many of us are prone to. Keep it up and enjoy your summer.
Trippple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #30
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I appreciate the game stories and hope you continue.

Kane was a difference maker this series. I can only hope teh oilers sign him to a long term deal as the guy is a time bomb.

Hard to believe the mercurial goalie that got pulled in the first period of game 1 ended up winning the goalie battle. That was the one place the Flames had a clear edge.

The other clear edge the Flames had in personnel? The back end. Oilers defense is not overly talented nor mobile and Flames did not take advantage.
With Tanev missing the first three games, and torn to shreds but playing in game four and five I think the defense gap between the two teams tightened considerably.

What was left was an over taxed top pair, a second pairing guy that couldn't play close to that level without his partner, and the third pair doing their thing.

Can debate the quality of the chances until the cows come home ... the Flames lost a series 4-1 with an expected goal advantage of 17.7 to 16.5 based on the quality of today's stats but were out scored 25-20. If we had the ability to shave high danger chances into categories I think the Oilers would have had substantially more 10 bell chances, but at the end of the day Markstrom wasn't good, and had to make more tough saves than he did.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #31
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ we agree fully on that, Bingo

Thanks for the effort put in to the Game Takes, I enjoy them
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #32
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Full marks on Edmonton.

McDavid showed another playoff gear and that he is the best player on the planet. Paired with Draisaitl, they were unstoppable.

Coach did an excellent job fixing the defense. Nurse and Barrie are overpaid one dimensional players. Ceci and Keith are overpaid rejects. Since the coaching change, somehow they all meshed.

Mike Smith turned in a good Mike Smith performance. He could turn into a pumpkin any moment, but he played up to his ceiling.

Evander Kane.. should not be allowed in the league. He should not be allowed a new contract this soon after he breached his previous one. But, Edmonton was wise to scoop him up while others didn't want to take the chance.

All their stars lined up, and they were the better team on this occasion.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #33
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think Hyman was a good addition no question. And I thought so at the time.
I think Coleman had a really good series - I have no issues with him.

Kane is tricky. It was a desperate move by a desperate team, that ended up being great hockey-wise.
But from a human being point of view I think it is disgusting.
Evander Kane should already being gambling away his off-season after toiling away all year for the Barracuda, but the NHL gonna NHL.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #34
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As frustrating and perplexing it was to see the Flames struggle as a team and some individual performances vs an inferior overall opponent this round, when the referees take away a tying goal with 10 minutes to go with a quick whistle on an unfrozen puck in one game, and an all time historical bad call to take a winning goal away with 5 mins to play in another game, it's tough to overcome that.

Strip away the gaudy stats, the games were much closer than the stats indicate, with the Flames playing poorly. Oilers got them out of comfort zone. Injuries on top line not allowing them to click the way they did all year? Zero confidence from our top pairing defense after Game 3. Other guys looking gassed. But still, it was right there before the league stepped in.

Game 1 in control throughout. Game 2 close game and blown 4-4 goal call the obvious turning point. Bad 12 minutes for Flames in Game 3. Fight back in Game 4, one poor defensive coverage late. Game 5, close again, and an egregiously bad call and a Flames win turns to OT loss.

As said before, the Flames could be dominated on the stats they way they are, not look much better than they did, but have the 4-4 goal count in Game 2 (then who knows) and last night's goal rightfully count and easily be up 3-2 in the series, without playing a lick better or have any better stats... and at very very least down 3-2 going into a game tomorrow where all the pressure is on the flaky Oilers and leaky Smith.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:02 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hands were expected when the contract was submitted. That said only one year into a long deal and I expect he may be better next season after being better acquainted with the team and city. One has to wonder though if the Flames would have been better off trying a little harder to get Hyman instead as they could have used his finish.
Hyman would have cost an extra year of term and at least 600-700k more. The Flames and Oilers were in on him with Holland willing to trade to go 8 years. Unlike Markstrom they had just as much wiggle room and were not going to lose that negotiation. A lot more injuries with Hyman as well. He was amazing in the series.

Had the Coleman goal stood that would have been a 3pt night for him which is exactly what the Flames were after when they acquired him. Big game player.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:02 PM   #36
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With Tanev missing the first three games, and torn to shreds but playing in game four and five I think the defense gap between the two teams tightened considerably.

What was left was an over taxed top pair, a second pairing guy that couldn't play close to that level without his partner, and the third pair doing their thing.

Can debate the quality of the chances until the cows come home ... the Flames lost a series 4-1 with an expected goal advantage of 17.7 to 16.5 based on the quality of today's stats but were out scored 25-20. If we had the ability to shave high danger chances into categories I think the Oilers would have had substantially more 10 bell chances, but at the end of the day Markstrom wasn't good, and had to make more tough saves than he did.
Keith, Cecil and Kulak were supposed to be worse than anything the Flames put out there and I feel that just wasn’t the case. Tanev injury or no, either the Oilers D played much better than expected, they game planned and played to their strengths or Flames didn’t do enough to pressure their back end. I’m sure it was a combination of all of these. Keith was much better than the washed up worst D man in the league many claimed him to be when the Oilers acquired him.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:19 PM   #37
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Oilers 5 Flames 4 OT (Oilers win series 4-1)

Great write up and I definitely appreciate your hard work and effort D’Arcy!

After losing to the Oilers with an opportunity to play in the Conference finals, it’s going to be a tough audience.

Honestly when you watch, rewatch, read, write about it, analyze the scoring and keys plays, it comes down to execution on the ice.

For the most part Calgary abandoned their strong forecheck and defensive support structure that made this a successful regular season and first round win.

The power play was not good enough.

The penalty kill was not good enough.

The defense was more porous than the entire season including the first round of the playoffs (definitely Tanev and his presence were sorely missed).

The goaltending was far below expectations and where it needed to be. Each game Markstrom failed to reach a .900 save percentage and allowed a goal on every ~6th SOG.

There were some questionable calls and a few questionable coaching decisions ,disallowed goals, but in the end it’s all about not executing.

Are the Oilers a better team than Calgary, nope! But they played looser and definitely executed better over the course of the series.

Disappointing and surprising not just to most fans, but the majority of hockey writers had picked Calgary in the Conference finals matching up against Colorado.

Next year’s team will be different no doubt, but a long off season for all of us fans and definitely the organization as there’s plenty of difficult decisions to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by iamca; 05-28-2022 at 08:46 PM.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the other comments: the PGT is a free for all, while the Game Takes is a place for rational discussion and analysis.

It may not get a lot of traffic, but it generates very good discussion
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #39
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Appreciate it guys.

No chance. The PGT is far too mercurial to get any sort of accurate read on what happened in the game. Your writeups are my first—and often only—post-game reading.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 07:08 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I suppose Smith won the goalie battle by being the winning goalie in this series, but as bad as Markstrom was, I sure as hell did not think Smith was much better at all.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote