That looks kind of like a bruise.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #1863
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Maybe they shouldn't have made the cases out of ... pool hall chalk?

Apparently this has happened to more than one owner. And after looking at some of the Reddit /r/Watches pictures and some of the close-ups, I'm starting to rethink buying one for my wife, I've seen better finishing on cheaper Seikos.
So guys... I've been having some issues with my Neptune Moonswatch...

I don't think this is the finishing/paint. It's the stupid bioceramic that the cases are supposed to be made out of. Bioceramic seems to be a fancy word of plastic mixed with some castrol oil based material.

-edit people are saying the battery cover is actually dyed and its that blue dye that is coming off.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-28-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #1864
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I inherited a watch from my father, who passed away in December. He bought it in 2008 and wore it often, so it's something I cherish and think of him about constantly when I look at it or put it on. It's got a lot of scuffs which show it was well worn, and I think of each mark as a memory of my Dad. I took it to get appraised and they offered to polish the marks off for me and I said not a chance. I've worn it pretty rarely because it's a bit flashy for a 35 year old working in my line of work, but I find I put it on when watching the Flames at home and its been good luck whenever I have it on so far!

It's a yellow gold Rolex GMT Master II. I plan on putting it into a security deposit box until I'm older, and ultimately some day pass it on to my son. I've never been into watches before, but this watch along with a few others that my Dad left me have really peaked my interest and I really enjoyed reading through this thread!

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 03-28-2022 at 10:37 AM.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #1865
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I inherited a watch from my father, who passed away in December. He bought it in 2008 and wore it often, so it's something I cherish and think of him about constantly when I look at it or put it on. It's got a lot of scuffs which show it was well worn, and I think of each mark as a memory of my Dad. I took it to get appraised and they offered to polish the marks off for me and I said not a chance. I've worn it pretty rarely because it's a bit flashy for a 35 year old working in my line of work, but I find I put it on when watching the Flames at home and its been good luck whenever I have it on so far!

It's a yellow gold Rolex GMT Master II. I plan on putting it into a security deposit box until I'm older, and ultimately some day pass it on to my son. I've never been into watches before, but this watch along with a few others that my Dad left me have really peaked my interest and I really enjoyed reading through this thread!
Don't bury the thing in a box! Wear it and enjoy it - it'll hold up just fine.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #1866
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a 2008, I would get it serviced (I've heard J.Vair can do it on-site) and wear it on special occasions. Although I totally get the hesitation to wear a $70,000 watch like it's no big deal.

(They're $46k brand new except they don't make a yellow gold GMT anymore, only 'Everose'. A used, solid yellow gold GMT of this vintage starts ~$70k on Chrono24.)
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 11:45 AM   #1867
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Being a 2008, I would get it serviced (I've heard J.Vair can do it on-site) and wear it on special occasions. Although I totally get the hesitation to wear a $70,000 watch like it's no big deal.

(They're $46k brand new except they don't make a yellow gold GMT anymore, only 'Everose'. A used, solid yellow gold GMT of this vintage starts ~$70k on Chrono24.)
Wow!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #1868
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, it was quite shocking to see that when I got it appraised. I have the original paperwork and it was bought at Brinkhaus for $19k. I remember my Dad telling me he got a good deal on it at the time because it was owned by some Oil and Gas company exec from Japan who bought it right before the crash and just wanted it out of his collection as quick as possible because he was superstitious about the watch being bad luck.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #1869
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Last time I was at J. Vair they said their watchmaker retired (and I think someone reported that in this thread as well as a friend or relation).

They said they send them off to Toronto or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #1870
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Old 05-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #1871
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently purchased this Citizen Nighthawk Eco-Drive.

As a bit of a backstory, I was mulling over spending the money on Flames playoff tickets for game 2 - but my wife was indifferent to going and my son was supposed to go watch the game with his buds. So I decided to invest the money in something tangible and less expensive than the tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #1872
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
My wife took a chance and bought me one of these for Christmas
https://www.fossil.com/en-ca/smartwa...ore/hybrid-hr/

I'm not a smartwatch fan, but I do dig this one. It track steps/HR/sleep/workouts but it also will give me simple notifications from my phone. I can even decline calls without pulling out my phone. But it looks for the most part like a regular watch. I'm finding it to be a compromise that works for someone who doesn't need all the whistles and bells of an Applewatch or whatever.
As a follow up on this, I have ended up sending it in for warranty repair/replacement. The e-ink display has lost contrast and is pretty much impossible to read. Doing a bit of googling this is not an uncommon failure. It's disappointing but it looks like this isn't quite ready for primetime.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #1873
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Last time I was at J. Vair they said their watchmaker retired (and I think someone reported that in this thread as well as a friend or relation).

They said they send them off to Toronto or something.
My grandfather was their Watchmaker for over 30 years. Dying trade.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #1874
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
My grandfather was their Watchmaker for over 30 years. Dying trade.
I was PMing with homestand as well about Swiss Watch Clinic and that guy had closed or retired as well I think.

I really need someone to help service my grandfather's 1940s Tudor.

Speaking of dying trades I also need someone to service my grandfather's CRT that I grew up watching Mr. Rogers and Star Trek on. That thing basically raised me but I've blown it's flyback transformer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 06:12 PM   #1875
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wow dude, that's your grandpa's watch from the '40s!? Sick
Old 05-31-2022, 02:46 AM   #1876
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really, Watchmakers' just have to start charging a richer premium for their craftsmanship. Today, when I need to have a watch serviced, I bring it over to the fellas over at Alberta Time (up the escalator from Umbertos'). They knew my grandfather, give great service, & are reasonably priced.

Speaking of vintage pieces, I should go to the Bank Lock Box, and take some pics of the old pocket watches. There's Howard's in there, 100+ yrs old.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 07:23 AM   #1877
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, check out Alberta Time Services, the old guy did good work on my grandpa's pocket watch.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 12:21 PM   #1878
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know about Momentum watches? Thinking of picking this up but dont know the brand at all.

https://ca.momentumwatch.com/product...42857768648928
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #1879
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I bought this watch off Justin at Gem by Carati a few months ago. Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba 43mm. I love this thing.

Spoiler!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 01:32 PM   #1880
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Anyone know about Momentum watches? Thinking of picking this up but dont know the brand at all.

https://ca.momentumwatch.com/product...42857768648928
"Available exclusively to the Canadian Forces Snowbirds Alumni."

Are you? 'Cause that's pretty cool.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote