Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #1721
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

For $280 you can replace the part, or starting at $630+ you can buy another 200 watt subwoofer. Unless there's something your current sub isn't doing for you that another would, I'd personally go with the $280 fix myself. It's a good sub, it's broken in, why change it for way more money?

Unrelated: Last night I had a buddy over to play some vids on the new TV, and found the audio delay on my XSX was ridiculous. NHL '22 slap-shot off the end boards, and a solid ~200ms delay between visual indication of the puck hitting the boards and the sound coming out of the speakers. What the f--k.

Setup
TV: Samsung QN85AA (eARC is backward compatible with ARC)
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W (only supports ARC)
Xbox Series X (Connected directly to TV with HDMI 2.1)

The receiver will only do 4K/60Hz and not 4K/120Hz+VRR, so that's why I'm directly connected to the TV instead of routing through the receiver. I tried going through and checking all the audio delay settings on the receiver and TV but came up empty-handed. I found a few posts online that suggested using an optical cable would eliminate the delay at the cost of HDMI-CEC and any HD audio like Dolby TrueHD. No dice; even over optical, the sound delay was still fairly pronounced.

In the end, the thing that fixed it was turning off Dolby Atmos in the TV's Sound > Expert Settings menu. As soon as I toggled that off and exited the menu, the audio latency was back to being virtually imperceptible as was expected. Works over optical, works over HDMI with CEC turned on (so I pulled the optical cable).

So, top tip: if you already don't have Atmos speakers (like me) and are experiencing a weird delay from your eARC TV to your non-eARC receiver, disable Dolby Atmos passthrough on the TV. If you have Atmos speakers and a 4K/120Hz source, you're gonna want an HDMI 2.1 capable receiver, as eARC appears to introduce a lot of latency when Atmos is involved. Lots of reports on this for various TV manufacturers like Samsung and LG being used with Xbox Series X as it supports Atmos for gaming.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #1722
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I asked this also in the Box Office thread, but maybe it will garner more interest here among the audio & videophiles : )

Which movie theater in Calgary is considered the best, from and audio and video perspective? Is it still the Chinook IMAX? The biggest auditorium at Seton? Something else?

I am going to be taking my kids to see Top Gun shortly, and want nothing but the best experience Calgary has to offer!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:29 AM   #1723
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
I asked this also in the Box Office thread, but maybe it will garner more interest here among the audio & videophiles : )

Which movie theater in Calgary is considered the best, from and audio and video perspective? Is it still the Chinook IMAX? The biggest auditorium at Seton? Something else?

I am going to be taking my kids to see Top Gun shortly, and want nothing but the best experience Calgary has to offer!
Honestly speaking, maybe I'm old, but I personally feel that the seating experience in a movie theatre is more important than the minor (IMO) differences in audio and video of a movie theatre. I don't care how the screen looks and how things sound if my back is killing me. Even if some of us can tell the difference between the audio and video quality, if you and your kids can't, it doesn't matter.

Other might disagree, but if you want the best experience through a movie theatre for Top Gun, D-Box/4DX, VIP/seat, ScreenX/IMAX are the order of importance I'd personally consider.

The first two you can't really imitate in a personal home theatre and are very noticeable to all. The second being more an outside event that's fun and comfortable which again is noticeable by all. The last being something that certain home theatres can actually imitate and the screen and audio quality being something that honestly, most people wouldn't notice major differences even if placed side by side.

You mentioned Top gun. It'd be a perfect type of movie to try and pair with extra vibrations and 4D movement for sensory overload if available. A slightly crisper screen and slightly better audio for fighter jet scenes would barely be noticeable IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #1724
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently upgraded my front and center home theatre speakers and wanted to complete the upgrade with a subwoofer so I could sell the previous setup as the package they are meant to be. Somehow Brendone's PSW404 dying brought Polk's PSW subs onto my radar and I ended up getting the Polk PSW505 (12" 460 watt) from Visions for a pretty decent price.

The current home theatre set-up right now, from display to sound:
Display: Samsung 85" QN85A Neo QLED
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W 7.2ch 4K Dolby Atmos Receiver
Speakers (running 5.1 with front bi-amp):
- Center Channel: Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher Center (Mahogany)
- Front L+R: Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher (Mahogany)
- Side Channels: Sinclair Audio Brighton Cube Satellites (Piano black)
- Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW505 12" 460W

I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on Totem Mites or Rainmakers in mahogany to possibly address the side channels and move the Brightons to act as rear or Atmos height speakers. After running through the Audyssey calibration, it sounds phenomenal.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #1725
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any personal experience with in-wall speaker brands?

We're redoing our media wall. We only have space for a 3.1 setup, and I'd like to put the center speaker in the wall below the tv to minimize clutter (and because the fireplace doesn't have a mantle). This will be mostly for TV/movie use, although I'd like to pair it with some nice bookshelf speakers for music as well. I am not a fan of overly bright speakers...which seems like these days is most of them.

I've been doing a bit of research, and see options from Klipsch, Polk, Dynaudio, B+W, KEF...but hoping to hear some anecdotal thoughts on specific brands if anyone has them. Need to pull the trigger on one relatively quickly.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #1726
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Does anyone have any personal experience with in-wall speaker brands?

We're redoing our media wall. We only have space for a 3.1 setup, and I'd like to put the center speaker in the wall below the tv to minimize clutter (and because the fireplace doesn't have a mantle). This will be mostly for TV/movie use, although I'd like to pair it with some nice bookshelf speakers for music as well. I am not a fan of overly bright speakers...which seems like these days is most of them.

I've been doing a bit of research, and see options from Klipsch, Polk, Dynaudio, B+W, KEF...but hoping to hear some anecdotal thoughts on specific brands if anyone has them. Need to pull the trigger on one relatively quickly.
They dont generally sound great for the cost, they sound better if you build the wall specifically with the speakers in mind, extra screws, gluing, plywood rear wall etc, I would be more likely to build in a recess and built in wiring for a ported bookshelf speaker than go in wall
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #1727
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I second AFC's suggestion.

Figure out the maximum cabinet size you would install as bookshelves and make a recessed area for them. Speakers are subjective, go listen to a bunch. If you have expensive tastes like I do, check out CanuckAudioMart.com to score a deal on something that would otherwise be out of your price range / violate the "WAF" brand new.

Subwoofer, grab a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 (entry level), Monolith by Monoprice unit, or an SVS SB-1000 Pro (or PB-1000 Pro if you want ported).

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-27-2022 at 09:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #1728
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

SVS SB1000 is so much fun! Fit two if you can! I will upgrade one day to two!
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:31 AM   #1729
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
SVS SB1000 is so much fun! Fit two if you can! I will upgrade one day to two!
Jesus, two?

The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #1730
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Jesus, two?

Instant DB double and energy. My anthem pre-processor will dial it down, but the energy on two is theatre level in a smaller room, and SVS will behave due to their onboard amps.

I had an SB-16 once, it was nuts, your heart rate would rise playing video games. My wife put a quick end to that.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #1731
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got some renovations done and all our speakers ended up getting unplugged for our home theater. Our speakers have a red and black connector, whereas the speaker wiring in the house is white and black. I’d expect the black to be the grounding, but I’m not sure. As long as we are consistent with the plugging (use the white for red on both the receiver and speakers), does it matter?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:17 PM   #1732
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
We got some renovations done and all our speakers ended up getting unplugged for our home theater. Our speakers have a red and black connector, whereas the speaker wiring in the house is white and black. I’d expect the black to be the grounding, but I’m not sure. As long as we are consistent with the plugging (use the white for red on both the receiver and speakers), does it matter?
Nope, it's all the same copper
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 10:56 PM   #1733
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
black is negative and red or white is positive
Old 07-15-2022, 02:41 PM   #1734
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up getting some warfedale diamond 12.1 bookshelf speakers. Really liking them so far. Got mine on a damaged box sale. Nice
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #1735
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thought I would dip back into this as its slightly more complex that we are implying, you can hook up speakers any way you want, black to red, red to black it wont do the speakers or amplifier any harm at all but you do need to make sure what ever you do for one speaker you exactly copy for any others, the reason for this is the sound not any safety or damage aspect, the wiring of the speakers determine the 'phase'.
Speakers create sound by vibrating backwards and forwards at high speed, you want all the speakers to go 'forward' in synch, if you reverse the wiring one speaker will be pushing 'out' as the other is sucking back 'in' and to a minor but audible degree they actually cancel some of the signal out, it is called 'out of phase' (duh!) and it is hard to recognise unless you know what you are listening for but it does reduce the accuracy of sound of speakers (not the volume per say)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #1736
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I upgraded the speakers slightly, will be doing a 5.1.2 setup instead of the current 5.1.0.

Display: Samsung 85" QN85A Neo QLED
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W 7.2ch 4K Dolby Atmos Receiver
Speakers (running 5.1 with front bi-amp):
- Center Channel: Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher Center (Mahogany)
- Front L+R: Totem Acoustics Sttaf Dreamcatcher (Mahogany)
- Side Channels: Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher (Mahogany) Sinclair Audio Brighton Cube Satellites (Piano black)
- Front Atmos Height Speakers: Sinclair Audio Brighton Cube Satellites (Piano black) (installing them soon)
- Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW505 12" 460W

Pictures:
Spoiler!

I used some Rubber Renue on the Sttaf rubber speaker cone surrounds to clean them up a touch, they look brand new and feel it too. Also not pictured, I have the side channels on some small speaker stands (Kanto SP9 9" stands) and the sound isolation foam is pointing them downward slightly, and aimed toward the primary listening position.

Next up... subwoofer. Might snag a deal off of SVS' online store outlet and bump myself up to something mental.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-03-2022 at 06:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 11-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #1737
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

We're looking at getting a soundbar for our main floor TV (LG C1) but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the choices. I *think* I want an "all-in-one" soundbar that doesn't have a separate sub or other speakers as it'll just be a wall-mounted TV without a tonne of space around it.

Does anybody have any recommendations or what brands/features I should be looking at or steering clear of? I'm just trying to narrow it down a little bit, we probably don't want to spend much more than $400-$500 but I've blown the budget before when it's made sense to.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #1738
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sonos beam or ray.

I have been completely happy with my beam in the main room (with 1’s as surrounds and the Sonos sub) but the ray in the bedroom really impresses me. Haven’t once been upset about the sound especially with dialog
Old 11-24-2022, 04:25 PM   #1739
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any good entry level subwoofers on sale for black Friday?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #1740
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Thinking of hanging my TV on the wall, what's the best way to hide the cables? There's cable covers but that seems ghetto.

I was thinking of something like this but the non-power cables seem to just hang around inside the wall.. I guess that's fine as long as I get the properly rated cables?

Any other options? The other thing I was thinking is getting a new outlet put in behind the TV and then seeing if there was something similar to above but just for the other cables. It's an interior wall.