Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2022, 01:38 AM   #381
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The Qatar world cup will be excellent. First big event in the middle east they will pull out all the stops. And with Canada there, extra special.
Tell me you're totally oblivious without telling me you're totally oblivious.

What an awful take lol.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:17 AM   #382
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Lot of white knights in here. Would you have not watched the NHLers if they had gone to China last month and called it one of the best tournaments ever? They didn't not go because of human rights. And we knew what Russia was by 2014.

We watched an olympics 8 years ago and world cup 4 years ago from Russia bought by Putin. And enjoyed it.

Let's just enjoy a good tournament. The Middle East has been wanting to host a big event for a long time. Canada will be there and England are favored and the games will be great.

Last edited by GirlySports; 03-25-2022 at 04:25 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:18 AM   #383
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

That whataboutism does nothing to sell that tournament. Yeah, there have been other sports tournaments that were given to problematic hosts, but Qatar hosting a World Cup is pretty much on steroids in that regard. We're talking about a country that shamelessly bribed their way to this tournament, exploited and enslaved foreign workers to build their stadiums and generally have an awful record when it comes to human rights. This is in no way, shape or form a fit host for such an event.

Now, it's up to every fan to decide whether this is something to look past because "in the end it's about football" and you just want to "enjoy a good tournament". But this only benefits the Qatari and those greedy FIFA ####ers who sold their votes to them, and you certainly don't get to call people "white knights" because they refuse to let them off the hook.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #384
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

2018 was no different if not worse. Absolutely bribed to get it. By a country much more dangerous on Ukraines doorstep and who also used slave labor to build stadiums. A place that jeers black players. I still can't believe the African teams went.

In the end everyone here enjoyed that tournament and said nothing. But because it's a small country Qatar in the middle east it's different? It's dirty money?

Last edited by GirlySports; 03-25-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:55 AM   #385
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

African qualifying 1st leg is being shown live for free on the FIFA TV Youtube Channel.

(Home team first)
9am DR Congo vs Morocco
11am Mali vs Tunisia
11am Cameroon vs Algeria
1:30pm Ghana vs Nigeria
1:30pm Egypt vs Senegal

Cheer for DR Congo and Ghana!!!!!

Old 03-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #386
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

DR Congo up 1-0 and Morocco just skied a penalty into Row Z. Would have been a huge away goal.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #387
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because in the end it's about football and the tournament. Will it be worse than South Africa? Vuvuzelas. Or Brazil? Playing in a jungle?

Qatar just hosted the Arab Cup a few month ago as a tuneup. 16 team tournament. No problems.
i think one of the major potential issues with Qatar is the lack of hotels. I heard they were expecting people to fly in to watch games from UAE.

I don't think they are close to being prepared for the amount of people who are likely to attend.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #388
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

The controversy of the World Cup being in Qatar is just that. Is what it is and that won't change. Like it or not people will watch and enjoy.

This is the last 32 team World Cup, harder to get in now than it'll ever be again. I'm ultra stoked Canada can get in on that final 32 tourney and earn their way in before we default in when we share in hosting 2026.

And for what it's worth, I got to visit Doha back in 2018. Amazing place, would go back if given the chance. Methinks it'll become as popular as Dubai once the world gets to see it on screen. I'd bet there's many football fans who'd never thought of or didn't know Qatar existed.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:53 AM   #389
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sissoko, own goal and red card in a span of 5 minutes.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #390
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
i think one of the major potential issues with Qatar is the lack of hotels. I heard they were expecting people to fly in to watch games from UAE.

I don't think they are close to being prepared for the amount of people who are likely to attend.
Last I heard they opened up a bunch of rooms, including on cruise ships. Those with tickets will get priority. Those without may have trouble.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:21 PM   #391
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oof...Just saw that goal from North Macedonia...

What was Donarumma doing there? That is a save he makes 11 times out of 10.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2022, 07:49 AM   #392
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oof...Just saw that goal from North Macedonia...

What was Donarumma doing there? That is a save he makes 11 times out of 10.
I’ll give you the most logical explanation. Spurs hired Conte, which leads to a pile of Spurs fans putting Italian flags in their avatars online, and some waving the flag at games. I think you can connect the dots from there!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #393
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last I heard they opened up a bunch of rooms, including on cruise ships. Those with tickets will get priority. Those without may have trouble.
Basically every hotel in the country is blocked out and there is a central Accommodation Agency clearing house. There are two cruise ships and loads of apartments. There are also "fan villages" which seem like will be the cheapest option, basically tent cities. It looks like the apartments and cruise ship rooms are already available to be booked and the hotels have yet to share pricing and booking.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #394
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Alot to be decided today. Europe and Africa. It will be a really fun day.

North Macedonia winning would move everyone up including Germany-Holland friendly could be for Pot 1.
Plus all the scenarios for Canada.

If 2 out of North Macedonia, DR Congo, Mali, Ghana qualify for the World Cup, Canada is in Pot 3 without having to kick another ball.

Last edited by GirlySports; 03-29-2022 at 09:49 AM. Reason: edited to add Ghana
Old 03-29-2022, 09:55 AM   #395
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

UAE Finish 3rd in Group A and will play Australia in the playoffs with the winner playing South America 5th, probably Peru.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:37 PM   #396
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I love to rag on shoulders, the ref should have stepped in here.
Either delayed it till it stopped or moved to the other end.

Don't think it's within his power to order a retake.

That's just brutal.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1508895040994689025

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #397
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

A guy of Mo Salah's caliber should have just refused to take the penalty until the refs/arena stopped the lasers.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #398
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ukraine up 2-1 over Scotland in 80 minute. Winner faces Wales for spot in the World Cup.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #399
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

3-1 final for Ukraine. Off to Wales for the last spot before the intra-conference games later this month.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #400
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

and for the triple post:

Argentina smoked Italy 3-0 in the South America/Europe champions game (I'm sure it has some real name)