Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #61
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Dr. Manhattan made this planet (didn’t he say in the movies that he went out and created his own race?) and exiled Veidt there.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:45 AM   #62
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think they were implying that Veidt was on the moon. There is a shot where he looks through a telescope and then it goes directly to a shot of the Moon.

I'd also say Trieu is likely responsible for Veidt's imprisonment, not Dr. Manhattan. The whole thing, with all the weird clones, just doesn't seem like Manhattan's style. Manhattan would be more likely to build some crazy, yet sterile, superstructure. Also the warden was a live person. Manhattan can't create life, so whoever the warden is would need to be a clone or someone employed by a human.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #63
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Will likely isn’t Hooded Justice unless they changed stuff. Hooded Justice was a white East German body builder, not a cop.
What did Lube Man, er, Petey say?

The original name of Hooded Justice was... Brother Night.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #64
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

We don't actually know if Mueller was Hooded Justice, just that Hooded Justice stopped crime fighting the same time that Mueller was killed.

Part of me thinks that what crash lands on the former Clark Property, is Veidt. Perhaps it's the location of the Millennium Clock, I think that's what's implied but they don't specifically state that. Trieu knows Veidt is alive and presumably keeping tabs on him, if he were to catapult himself to earth, it would make sense that Trieu would be aware of this, as well as when and where he'd land.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
We don't actually know if Mueller was Hooded Justice, just that Hooded Justice stopped crime fighting the same time that Mueller was killed.

Part of me thinks that what crash lands on the former Clark Property, is Veidt. Perhaps it's the location of the Millennium Clock, I think that's what's implied but they don't specifically state that. Trieu knows Veidt is alive and presumably keeping tabs on him, if he were to catapult himself to earth, it would make sense that Trieu would be aware of this, as well as when and where he'd land.
It would seem odd to mention it in the comic if it wasn’t true. Chekhov’s Gun scenario. Why mention it if it isn’t true? Adds nothing to the story if it’s false.

As for Veidt, that makes sense that the opening scene and Veidtks exile are in the past. Also why she has a gold statue that looks exactly like his current self.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #66
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Trieu seemed to want the property for the purpose of having rights over it, prior to the object falling on it. If the object was just Veidt, why would she need rights over the property?
Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #67
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
It would seem odd to mention it in the comic if it wasn’t true. Chekhov’s Gun scenario. Why mention it if it isn’t true? Adds nothing to the story if it’s false.

As for Veidt, that makes sense that the opening scene and Veidtks exile are in the past. Also why she has a gold statue that looks exactly like his current self.
The Hooded Justice being Muller was from a New Frontiersman article, where they state he was killed in some kind of communist plot. The false story illustrates how the New Frontiersman writers are a bunch of nuts. It also shows how incompetent they are, as they can't get Nazi and communist sympathizers straight.

What makes me think the grandfather may not be Hooded Justice, is that Hooded Justice is gay. The grandfather had a wife and children. Although it's entirely possible the wife was just for show in a less than accepting 1940s. After losing his family he may have gotten more in touch with himself and started dating men.

The show does go out of the way to point out that the grandfather is really old though. They wouldn't do that unless he had some kind of connection to the past. For example, being a member of the Minutemen.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #68
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The opening scene and anything with Viedt stole that episode. Viedt tossing the babies back in the water was shocking and hilarious I listen to him say "Mr. Phillips, Ms. Crookshanks!" for an entire episode
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #69
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Hooded Justice being Muller was from a New Frontiersman article, where they state he was killed in some kind of communist plot. The false story illustrates how the New Frontiersman writers are a bunch of nuts. It also shows how incompetent they are, as they can't get Nazi and communist sympathizers straight.

What makes me think the grandfather may not be Hooded Justice, is that Hooded Justice is gay. The grandfather had a wife and children. Although it's entirely possible the wife was just for show in a less than accepting 1940s. After losing his family he may have gotten more in touch with himself and started dating men.

The show does go out of the way to point out that the grandfather is really old though. They wouldn't do that unless he had some kind of connection to the past. For example, being a member of the Minutemen.
What? He was East German. Them falsely assuming he was communist isn’t unreasonable. The fact he probably wasn’t a communist is irrelevant anyways.

Hollis mentions it in his book, and while he references the New Frontiersman being the ones who make the connection, the point of that reference definitely has nothing to do with the New Frontiersman. Again, my point from above stands. There aren’t even any other reasonable guesses as to his identity. It makes zero sense for him to be Will and he likely was Muller. Why else include and entire paragraph and a picture of him in he original comic?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #70
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
What? He was East German. Them falsely assuming he was communist isn’t unreasonable. The fact he probably wasn’t a communist is irrelevant anyways.

Hollis mentions it in his book, and while he references the New Frontiersman being the ones who make the connection, the point of that reference definitely has nothing to do with the New Frontiersman. Again, my point from above stands. There aren’t even any other reasonable guesses as to his identity. It makes zero sense for him to be Will and he likely was Muller. Why else include and entire paragraph and a picture of him in he original comic?
Muller left Germany under the nazi rule in 1939, so there was no East Germany then.

His identity is, IMO, left purposely ambiguous. Everyone else's identity is explicitly stated, but Hooded Justice's is left very much in the realm of speculation.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #71
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't read too much into "why did they do this in the comics" when the show is so far removed from it now with Moore not being involved, unless I'm mistaken. The creators probably saw that there was an original member of the minutemen that never had his identity confirmed and then used that as a way to make the narrative fit for their story.

The fact that Hooded Justice apparently had Nazi sympathies and Will Reeves held onto German propaganda for a hundred years....
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #72
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I wouldn't read too much into "why did they do this in the comics" when the show is so far removed from it now with Moore not being involved, unless I'm mistaken. The creators probably saw that there was an original member of the minutemen that never had his identity confirmed and then used that as a way to make the narrative fit for their story.

The fact that Hooded Justice apparently had Nazi sympathies and Will Reeves held onto German propaganda for a hundred years....
At best this show will be really well produced and clever fan fiction. I am okay with that.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #73
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Great episode.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #74
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Great episode.
Best of the season so far.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #75
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Definitely a good one.

Next episode looks like it'll be a bit wacky, and focused on Sister Night tripping balls.

The Veidt stuff was pretty interesting too. It's beginning to look more like it could be Dr. Manhattan pulling the strings. However, it just doesn't seem like his style. Also, Dr. Manhattan wouldn't allow Veidt to get away with all of this junk without intervening.

The message could be to Dr. Manhattan though. Veidt's prison might be somehow shielded from Manhattan, the same way that Veidt did with the squid plot.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #76
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Definitely a good one.

Next episode looks like it'll be a bit wacky, and focused on Sister Night tripping balls.

The Veidt stuff was pretty interesting too. It's beginning to look more like it could be Dr. Manhattan pulling the strings. However, it just doesn't seem like his style. Also, Dr. Manhattan wouldn't allow Veidt to get away with all of this junk without intervening.

The message could be to Dr. Manhattan though. Veidt's prison might be somehow shielded from Manhattan, the same way that Veidt did with the squid plot.
There certainly left this episode with the three 'main' characters on the verge of conflict.

SisterNight arrested, Mirror guy about to run into the 7K and Viedt getting kicked in the face by the game warden.

It is the first real cliff hanger.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #77
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The more I think about it, the less likely it seems like Dr. Manhattan is holding Veidt. The whole prison is a giant mind-#@#$, specifically designed to eat away at Veidt. Dr. Manhattan, despite his powers, had lost his ability to understand human psychology.

We only see the first letter of who Veidt's message was directed at "D". So it could easily be him trying to contact Manhattan. I like that Veidt isn't just on the moon with the ability to merely catapult himself to Earth.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #78
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wade has a diploma in Extraterrestrial Squid Science from the Extraterrestrial Squid Society. Nifty.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #79
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Best episode of the season, by a good stretch. Love world building moments like Steven Spielberg doing the movie Pale Horse (black and white, girl in red coat) in universe instead of Schindler's List.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #80
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So if Senator Keane is part of the cavalry and the kidnapping was clearly staged and fake...

Why put a real bomb literally right next to your leader?
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote