Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #981
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh ya, Chinatown is actually one of the best movies out there.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #982
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chinatown is one of those weird time capsule films that is a perfect snapshot of film techniques of the early-mid 70s, and is a 45 year old(!) film that is an homage to films of 30 years previous to it's making. So good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #983
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch Chinatown and Blade Runner back to back. Pretty cool how similar they are. A lot of the same motifs. Made only a couple years apart.

And, grotesquely, the later revelations about Polanski make the movie better in the worst possible way.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #984
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, please, more people watch that movie. That way when I say "forget it Jake, it's Chinatown" in casual conversation in reference to various things, maybe fewer people will look at me like an insane person.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #985
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Midway was Ok. CG and green screen was unconvincing. Some cliches and some bad acting. Dive bombing scenes were cool though. Maybe didn't explain all the ins and outs of the battle well enough. There was a tacked on Chinese subplot that seemed pretty forced. 5.5/10
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #986
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Doctor Sleep last weekend and I really enjoyed it. It works well as both a sequel and an homage to the original film, and to Kubrick. Beautifully filmed, excellent acting from everyone (particularly Ewan MacGregor), and a solid story.

Also, the recreation of the Overlook Hotel is very impressive, right down to the lighting, the decor, the colors, and the patterns on the floors. As a massive fan of the original, it's a real treat to revisit that setting with such incredible detail.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #987
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I loved Doctor Sleep. Definitely a film that was trying to execute a big idea and pretty unapologetic about it.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #988
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just came back from Doctor Sleep and it was great casting to have McGregor and the little girl. I liked the concept of using good substitute actors from the original, and they did a good enough job replicating the original actors' work. The set was pretty awesome at the end coming back to the hotel. HOWEVER, the villains were horrible! What were they thinking with hillbillies in hipster clothing. The the flying effects? Oh lawd. The original was creepy and really had you frightened at times. The villains made it seem like a made for TV movie and I was getting aggravated at times. I think I jumped, maybe 1 time? There were no shivers or anticipation scenes and that was disappointing because that's what Kubrick did so well in the original. Personally, not to be uptight about it, I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars, at best, and that's because of the positives above. Really had a feel that maybe King wouldn't give signoff unless he had his say, which somehow most Stephen King movies seem to crap the bed.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #989
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The villains made it seem like a made for TV movie and I was getting aggravated at times. I think I jumped, maybe 1 time? There were no shivers or anticipation scenes and that was disappointing because that's what Kubrick did so well in the original. Personally, not to be uptight about it, I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars, at best, and that's because of the positives above.
Really? Personally I thought the villains were pretty freaky, and Rebecca Ferguson's character was particularly strong.

Last edited by direwolf; 11-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #990
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Windsor Film Festival has obtained the rights to offer 7 days worth of screenings of The Irishman before it's released on Netflix and in Theatres. A big coup for WIFF. They will have screenings running from Nov 21 to 28. Running time is 3-1/2 hours - that is crazy.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #991
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i would agree with this review as well. from a story telling perspective i liked the original version better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Midway was Ok. CG and green screen was unconvincing. Some cliches and some bad acting. Dive bombing scenes were cool though. Maybe didn't explain all the ins and outs of the battle well enough. There was a tacked on Chinese subplot that seemed pretty forced. 5.5/10
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #992
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Parasite is great, though I'm a sucker for South Korean dramas / thrillers.
Bong Joon-ho is incredible (Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer, and Okja are all great).

Have you seen The Handmaiden from 2016? Chan-wook Park's work is excellent as well (Joint Security Area, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Thirst, and Stoker were great).
Okja had me thinking about dropping meat and becoming a vegetarian.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #993
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watched a mix of old and new movies over the long weekend.

1) Lion. I think it's been discussed here before, but a tremendous film. As this is based on a true story, there's lots of followup material available (interviews with the actual people involved, other videos documenting what happened, etc). Amazing story, and really well told.

2) Glory. One of my all time favorites. I hadn't watched this in maybe 15 years, but it was on TV (commercial free even) as part of a Veteran's Day lineup. Still got chills at Denzel's staredown and at the campfire scene. Also, I laughed out loud when I realized it was Andre Braugher who played Thomas.

3) The Dirty Dozen. I had never watched this before, but had heard about it a lot. I thought it was fun and well cast. Pacing is always slower on older movies and my teen daughter bailed after 10 minutes. It also had some surprisingly dark moments that I wasn't expecting.

4) Bourne Ultimatum. Whenever I see this or the previous 2 Bourne movies playing while channel surfing, I usually stop and watch. A solid conclusion to a solid trilogy.

5) Jason Bourne. Didn't catch this in the theatres, so watched it as there was a Bourne marathon running. Disappointingly bad. Don't know what it was, but felt too much like they thought "copy some of the same scenes and techniques in the previous Bourne movies and audiences will lap it up". They also did other things that bugged me: "Enhancing" a blurry frame from a video to a crystal clear picture, Bourne can disappear in plain sight, but suddenly can't disappear in the middle of a city-wide riot at night, secret meeting of a world famous tech CEO and a high-ranking CIA official in a little restaurant booth? I complained through the whole movie.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #994
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Midway was a little too long but Emmerich knows how to direct action and likeable actors. Worth a watch, those divebombing scenes were impactful and very entertaining.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #995
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Having a hard time compiling my top 10 of the decade list. It would've been easier if I had just rated all my watched films on Letterboxd. Anyone else start their list?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #996
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The Lighthouse was incredible top to bottom.

Gotta be my favourite of the year.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #997
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Having a hard time compiling my top 10 of the decade list. It would've been easier if I had just rated all my watched films on Letterboxd. Anyone else start their list?
1. Social Network
2. Get Out
3. Mad Max
4. Bridesmaids
5. Exit Through the Gift Shop
6. Inception
7. Zero Dark Thirty
8. Gone Girl
9. Booksmart
10. Ex Machina
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #998
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mad Max: Fury Road
Inception
Interstellar
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Life of Pi
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Star Trek Beyond
Fast Five

Admittedly I only watch mostly blockbuster movies and acknowledge these were not the "best" films of the decade. But they were my favorites!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #999
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

My top 11 of the decade:

The Cabin in the Woods
Django Unchained
Get Out
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Handmaiden
I Saw the Devil
Inception
The Lighthouse
mother!
Prisoners
The Raid
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #1000
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I Saw The Devil was wild.

AC, have you seen The Good, The Bad, and The Weird? Probably my favourite all-time action flick.