Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
No, not every European power did what the Germans did. You are diluding one of the most gruesome events in human history that is pretty much unprecedented. State-sponsored Genocide on a systematic level on a civilian population was not just another European atrocity.
Actually it was. We gloss over the Rwandan genocide, the entire debacle regarding Yugoslavia which led to the breakup of a nation and various other atrocities.

Anyhoodles....just for fun who wants to make a Yugoslavian starting XI?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #62
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, not every European power did what the Germans did. You are diluding one of the most gruesome events in human history that is pretty much unprecedented. State-sponsored Genocide on a systematic level on a civilian population was not just another European atrocity.
I've never heard about any of this. Can you elaborate?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #63
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I want to make it clear that I am not minimizing the holocaust or other crimes by the German state.

There is undisputed evidence that shows other European nations have committed atrocities as bad or worse. Belgium in the Congo, Russia in Ukraine, Spain in the Americas and Britain globally.

Do we not cheer for their national football teams because of this, or admire their cultures and achievements? I happen to love the German culture and their fierce dedication to precision and discipline. My ancestral homeland is/was an ally of Germany's so I also have a connection there. The way Germany revamped their entire FA in 2004 to become a juggernaut also appeals to me (Canada should take note).

I won't apologize for having an affinity for Germany, but I also unequivocally denounce their actions for a chunk of the 20th century.

How about we go back to sports talk now?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #64
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Actually it was. We gloss over the Rwandan genocide, the entire debacle regarding Yugoslavia which led to the breakup of a nation and various other atrocities.

Anyhoodles....just for fun who wants to make a Yugoslavian starting XI?

Sure I'll bite.

................Mandzukic

.............Kalinic - Perisic

........Rakitic - Modric - Kovacic

Lovren - Strinic - Vida - Corluka

.................Subasic
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #65
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Sure I'll bite.

................Mandzukic

.............Kalinic - Perisic

........Rakitic - Modric - Kovacic

Lovren - Strinic - Vida - Corluka

.................Subasic
Actually....thats a pretty damned good team.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #66
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I want to make it clear that I am not minimizing the holocaust or other crimes by the German state.

There is undisputed evidence that shows other European nations have committed atrocities as bad or worse. Belgium in the Congo, Russia in Ukraine, Spain in the Americas and Britain globally.

Do we not cheer for their national football teams because of this, or admire their cultures and achievements? I happen to love the German culture and their fierce dedication to precision and discipline. My ancestral homeland is/was an ally of Germany's so I also have a connection there. The way Germany revamped their entire FA in 2004 to become a juggernaut also appeals to me (Canada should take note).

I won't apologize for having an affinity for Germany, but I also unequivocally denounce their actions for a chunk of the 20th century.

How about we go back to sports talk now?
My issues was with how you stated “outside a couple of decades” which to me seemed to just gloss over how those events still greatly effect and monumently changed the lives of countless numbers of people. Of course I have zero issue with anyone having an affinity towards Germany, my post was to show you why people may still feel a great bit of resentment against the Germans and how this can be manifested in sports. If you re-read my post I edited it to explain myself from my personal point of view. I’m not trying to make you seem like you are insensitive, just trying to show you why people still hold anger towards Germany and that this anger is not unfounded.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #67
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My issues was with how you stated “outside a couple of decades” which to me seemed to just gloss over how those events still greatly effect and monumently changed the lives of countless numbers of people. Of course I have zero issue with anyone having an affinity towards Germany, my post was to show you why people may still feel a great bit of resentment against the Germans and how this can be manifested in sports.
And thats part of the fun, but lets not get bogged down with it before the tournament even starts.

Hey....Germany had Poland in their qualifying group and that turned out okay. Poland still lost, it just took longer this time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #68
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That fawlty towers scene is still funny on its 1000th view

What a show
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #69
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually....thats a pretty damned good team.
And imagine how good it would actually be if you actually took all the best players from the other nations and added to that 11.

Strikers:
Mandzukic, Perisic, Kalinic, Dzeko, Jovetic, Kramaric

Midfielders:
Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Kampl, Pjanic, Matic, Milinković-Savić

Defenders:
Lovren, Vrsaljko, Ivanovic, Kolarov, Savic, Corluka, Vida, Kolašinac

Goalies:
Subasic, Begovic, Oblak

Good luck figuring out who to start in that midfield - probably need to go 3-4-2-1.

Dzeko/Mandzukic

Perisic - Kovacic

Rakitic - Modric- Pjanic - Milinković-Savić

Lovren - Savic - Ivanovic

Oblak

Really they should just dress all 7 of those midfielders and they'd probably win the tournament.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-23-2018 at 11:31 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #70
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I've always argued that Yugoslavia would have won Euro 92 and World Cup 94

Remember they had won the 1987 under 20 world cup, quarterfinals at World Cup 90 and Red Star Belgrade won the 1991 Champions Cup.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #71
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Romero out for Argentina, they were already weak in net, and not so strong in midfield and on D, and on D they are very slow

Now its probably Caballero starting, who is just not good

They struggled a lot in qualifying as everyone knows, but of the big teams i think they are bit more in trouble than the others

Saying that, messi and kun may just put a haul past a few teama, but I dont think its likely, they are slower than people realize and after Messi, their next 3 best players all play the same positiom with 1 spot available, and none lf them can really work if sent outside, they may try dybala but hes not great at it and him and messi have never really meshed well together

People read the squad list and see all the talent, but dont realize that its likely going to be messi and probably aguero only from the attackers starting

With ADM and most people think Lo Celso or Lanzini supporting, biglia or banega need to play at their absolute peak for the midfield to not get overrun, and maschereno is a shell of himself that he probably is relegated to being a defensive sub with 20 minutes left

Just doesnt seem like a good squad, Messi is possibly enough, and their group isnt that great, but of all the big boys, croatia and Nigeria finishing 1-2 is a possibility, higher than the odds give it
Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #72
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Romero out for Argentina, they were already weak in net, and not so strong in midfield and on D, and on D they are very slow

Now its probably Caballero starting, who is just not good

They struggled a lot in qualifying as everyone knows, but of the big teams i think they are bit more in trouble than the others

Saying that, messi and kun may just put a haul past a few teama, but I dont think its likely, they are slower than people realize and after Messi, their next 3 best players all play the same positiom with 1 spot available, and none lf them can really work if sent outside, they may try dybala but hes not great at it and him and messi have never really meshed well together

People read the squad list and see all the talent, but dont realize that its likely going to be messi and probably aguero only from the attackers starting

With ADM and most people think Lo Celso or Lanzini supporting, biglia or banega need to play at their absolute peak for the midfield to not get overrun, and maschereno is a shell of himself that he probably is relegated to being a defensive sub with 20 minutes left

Just doesnt seem like a good squad, Messi is possibly enough, and their group isnt that great, but of all the big boys, croatia and Nigeria finishing 1-2 is a possibility, higher than the odds give it
Defense is atrocious as well, ineffective full backs and a defense with little cohesiveness. Brazil ripped through them when they played in qualifying and obviously Spain thrashed them without Messi. They will need a god like tournament from Messi to have a chance.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #73
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Argentina would be stupid to not start Dybala as well. Guy pretty much drives that Juventus forward line.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #74
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

it's crazy that Argentina haven't had a decent left or right back since when? ever??
Zanetti? sort of. Heinze? meh. Olarticochea? That's going back 30 years!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #75
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zanetti was great in his prime!

Shame about Romero. Best backup goalkeeper in the world IMO, hoped he'd have a good tournament.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #76
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
^ Argentina would be stupid to not start Dybala as well. Guy pretty much drives that Juventus forward line.
I dont get why they dont play with 2 strikers but they seem to refuse to do that and instead want 2 wingers

Messi behind dybala and aguero gets their 3 best players on the field in their best positions

Still have higuan as a sub if needed too
Old 05-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont get why they dont play with 2 strikers but they seem to refuse to do that and instead want 2 wingers

Messi behind dybala and aguero gets their 3 best players on the field in their best positions

Hah! Its funny, because this is exactly what Maradonna was accused of.

He put all of their talented players on at the same time, they allowed goals against as a result and had no 'Plan B.'

"All of our best players are on the field, what do I do now?"

Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #78
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hah! Its funny, because this is exactly what Maradonna was accused of.

He put all of their talented players on at the same time, they allowed goals against as a result and had no 'Plan B.'

"All of our best players are on the field, what do I do now?"
Big difference was that Maradona played them all over in positions they were not used to.

This would be playing all 3 in their natural best positions.

Aguero - Dybala
Messi

That front 3 would cause back lines absolute head aches.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #79
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because Argentina for years has tried to set their team up like they are Barcelona. IMO they need to use 2 strikers and have Messi in the CAM position. The problem with Argentina is their build up play is genrerally awful and everything has to go through Messi. Messi is incredible but teams have shown that there is a book on him that works. There will be a point in the tournament where Messi gets shutdown and another player will have to step up. If they actually decide to use Mascherano in their backline they are going to get absolutely torched anyways. He cannot run anymore

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #80
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I've never heard about any of this. Can you elaborate?
Allow me.

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good