Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Germany have finalised their team, and the 4 players not making the trip are Bernd Leno, Jonathan Tah, Nils Petersen ... and Leroy Sane

Either Löw was drunk or Sane is injured. There's no other explanation.
In his Press Conference he indicates that Sane was dropped in favour of Julien Brandt by the slimmest of margins.

Which is odd because I feel that Sane is by far the better player.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #182
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Low is just trying to challenge himself by leaving out an important player? It's really not fair to the field if the Germans start their best squad.

In all seriousness though, there are rumors of an attitude problem and that he's not the right type of player for Lows system.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #183
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like overcoaching IMO.

Look too much at the performance in a friendly last week vs. the performance over the entire course of the last season.

Neither are likely to start, and IMO Sane would be more of a gamebreaker coming off the bench then Brandt would be.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #184
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's the big one for me, if Germany are down a goal in a knockout game, is there anyone on that squad who is a bigger gamebreaker than Sane? His pace terrifies defenders and the only player in the big five European leagues with more assists this year than Sane is De Bruyne. He can score and create and stretch the field. Pretty much exactly what you'd want from a impact sub.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #185
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah - maybe their are issues where he wasn't willing to accept that role but IMO there is no other player on that roster that I'd want to sub on in the 65th minute to use his pace against tired defenders.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #186
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very odd decision.

Among other notable cuts is Christian Benteke for Belgium.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #187
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah - maybe their are issues where he wasn't willing to accept that role but IMO there is no other player on that roster that I'd want to sub on in the 65th minute to use his pace against tired defenders.
This is my thinking as well.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #188
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which is odd because I feel that Sane is by far the better player.
yeah he clearly is.

It seems this was primarily a decision based on systems (as in Sanes City role is different than what Löw wants from his wingers). Still crazy though because he'd be a great sub that could make a difference ... especially when you count on a fragile player like Reus who could go down every minute.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #189
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

this one is for Beninho

How coach Tite has brought Brazil into the modern age

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #190
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should I not be shocked Leno was left at home? Did he have a bad season? Personality issues?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #191
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah he clearly is.

It seems this was primarily a decision based on systems (as in Sanes City role is different than what Löw wants from his wingers). Still crazy though because he'd be a great sub that could make a difference ... especially when you count on a fragile player like Reus who could go down every minute.
The systems thing makes less sense to me when you are talking about the guy you are taking as the 23rd player on the roster too. In the end you need to be flexible to get the best players on your squad.

When it comes to late in a game where you need a goal, or when you get to extra time in the knockout rounds, you want your gamebreakers on the pitch... system be damned.

When Italy beat Germany in the 06 semi-finals (still my favorite game ever) they had Totti, Del Piero, Iquinta, Gilardino all on the pitch in extra time, taking off two midfielders to add two more strikers. Seemed crazy at the time but they they couldn't risk going to PK with Germany and needed a goal.

I feel like if they get to a game where they are in extra time and need a goal in the 100th minute they are going to regret not having Sane as an option to come in and change the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #192
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Should I not be shocked Leno was left at home? Did he have a bad season? Personality issues?
no it was also a surprise, everyone expected Trapp to be the odd man out. It's especially weird given that neither Neuer nor Trapp have any match rhythm. I don't get it either, but it's "only" the 3rd goalie anyway.

The whole goalie thing is crazy anyway and it's hard not to feel a bit for ter Stegen. He's had a really solid season, and having an unfit Neuer just waltz into the number 1 position ahead of him despite not playing for 9 months is harsh on him.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #193
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bigger question is where is Karius? How can you drop him?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #194
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Bigger question is where is Karius? How can you drop him?
You just get Sergio Ramos to elbow him in the head...

Old 06-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #195
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The systems thing makes less sense to me when you are talking about the guy you are taking as the 23rd player on the roster too. In the end you need to be flexible to get the best players on your squad.

When it comes to late in a game where you need a goal, or when you get to extra time in the knockout rounds, you want your gamebreakers on the pitch... system be damned.

When Italy beat Germany in the 06 semi-finals (still my favorite game ever) they had Totti, Del Piero, Iquinta, Gilardino all on the pitch in extra time, taking off two midfielders to add two more strikers. Seemed crazy at the time but they they couldn't risk going to PK with Germany and needed a goal.

I feel like if they get to a game where they are in extra time and need a goal in the 100th minute they are going to regret not having Sane as an option to come in and change the game.

In your least favorite game ever, Korea did the same thing.
Down 1-0 to Italy, Korea took off captain and sweeper Hong Myung-Bo for striker Cha Du-Ri. They also had 4 strikers on. Korea put on the pressure, tied the game and continued that pressure in overtime. A manager has to be super flexible in knockout rounds and make risky decisions.

I had to throw that in

Old 06-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #196
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

plus Korea also had Byron Moreno, which wasn't a bad thing for them either.

sorry, had to throw that in
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #197
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
plus Korea also had Byron Moreno, which wasn't a bad thing for them either.

sorry, had to throw that in
Still it took a 90th minute equalizer with 4 forwards. Maybe he would have found another phantom penalty at the end!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #198
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope if Canada gets to co-host 2026 we get a similar rigging from FIFA. It'd be good for the game after all.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #199
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should also be noted that Maradonna liked playing with 4 forwards and then when things got desperate had no Plan B.

You know what? Dropping Sane seems like crazy-sauce to me, but its Low, he knows what hes doing.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #200
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
In your least favorite game ever, Korea did the same thing.
Down 1-0 to Italy, Korea took off captain and sweeper Hong Myung-Bo for striker Cha Du-Ri. They also had 4 strikers on. Korea put on the pressure, tied the game and continued that pressure in overtime. A manager has to be super flexible in knockout rounds and make risky decisions.

I had to throw that in
F^%^% fixed game. Totti red card was B.S. as were the 3 offside decisions on good Italy goals.

I hate you.

Honestly the fact that the ref was pretty much banned from reffing for fixing games, and a convicted criminal after that game just proves it was rigged IMO...I feel like that game being fixed was swept under the rug by FIFA since they allowed him to ref in a major tournament to start with.

That stretch of soccer was so painful for Italy fans since they had what was a "Golden Generation" that looked like it wouldn't win anything.

94 - PK loss in finals
96 - Don't make it out of group stage after shock loss to Czech Republic (coach rested 4 starters and then got an early red card)
98 - PK loss to champion France in Quarters
00 - Lose Euro finals after conceding in the 93rd minute
02 - Lose Controversial game to Korea
04 - Don't make it out of group stage at Euro despite not losing a game

Then they win in 06 when everyone thought the team was past it's prime and too old to win.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good