Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #21
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
terryclancy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's been a couple of years since we've been there (and I've heard there is new, still excellent, ownership), but Da Marcella on West Houston St. is the best restaurant we've been to. Casual, great food and wine, reasonably priced...

If you're the bookish type, check out Strand Books (West Broadway and 12th or so). You may never leave.

If young men on the street try to sell you CDs of their music, run away.
terryclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found the New York Pass was good value, but just barely. You pay one price and get admission to virtually every attraction in the city. You really won't have time to do everything in the book, so I'd price out the things you're planning on seeing and see how much you'd spend to do those separately.

The Intrepid Museum is great. It's an old aircraft carrier that's been converted into an aerospace museum. It's also home to one of the decommissioned space shuttles (unfortunately, it's the Enterprise, which never went into space).

The Natural History Museum, The Met, and the MoMA are all excellent museums if you like that sort of thing.

If you do one observation deck, do the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Plaza. It has a much shorter wait and arguably a better view than the ESB.

Don't waste your time going to the Statue of Liberty. If you want a close view of it, either do a circle cruise or just take the Staten Island Ferry.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #24
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

-Buy an MTA pass and use the subway to get places. It's very easy, safe, convenient and cost effective. 1 week unlimited pass is only about $30.
-Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is a cool vantage point. When you arrive on the Manhattan side, it's not far to ground zero so we tied in seeing that area with walking the bridge.
-Sweet Chick in Williamsburg had amazing chicken and waffle.
-Meat Packing district has lots of good restaurants & bars if you're wanting nightlife.
-http://beautyandessex.com/home/
This place is cool too and food is pretty good.
-The Frying Pan: This is an old shipping barge converted into a big beer garden sort of thing. Think Waterworld meets beer.
It was cool in the summer, not sure how busy it will be now though.
-Walking the highline is interesting and worth checking out.
-Coffee: So much good coffee in NYC. Cold brew on tap is big there, try some, it's strong.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 11-03-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #25
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you're there for temple of the dog, you're probably not interested... but I did a pretty neat half-day bus tour of "historical" hip-hop spots (560 State St, etc). TV screens on the bus presenting facts (mostly stories of hard-living), pointing out spots referenced in various songs... I can dig up the name of the company if there is interest.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #26
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Prospect Park is nice if it's not too cold. The Park Slope area in general is really nice. Lots of bars and restaurants.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #27
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When you go for a slice, do not use a knife and fork to eat it. They will stab you.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:07 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
When you go for a slice, do not use a knife and fork to eat it. They will stab you.
Hes not lying.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #29
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread. Was there from Nov 5 - 10 and had a blast. Used a few recommendations in here and turned out well.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #30
Sakic19
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Re-upping this thread. Will be heading to NYC in 2 weeks for 5 days staying in Manhattan. So far our plans are a Rangers game, a couple shows and the comedy cellar. The rest is wide open.

Any recommendations for restaurants/tours/bars/anything else? Also looking for recommendations for a good bar/bottomless brunch place close to MSG for before the Rangers game (afternoon game vs the oil).

Thanks!
Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #31
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Koreatown is 2 blocks East of MSG on 32nd St.

Otherwise it isn't a great food area. You'll find many bars at Penn Station.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #32
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm always amused by the necro of some threads. There are folks who can't find a thread from a day ago and need a new topic...and then there are folks who find threads that are years old...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #33
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is N.Y. a good winter destination? We’re into theatre, restaurants, walking around the city....
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #34
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm always amused by the necro of some threads. There are folks who can't find a thread from a day ago and need a new topic...and then there are folks who find threads that are years old...
It depends what you're searching for to ask about. Destinations tend to get necro bumps because "New York" "Seattle" etc always come up with the old thread on "search thread titles only" searches.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #35
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
It's a scene from The Office where Michael heads to NYC and can't wait to taste true New York pizza. He ends up Sbarro.
While true, that's not why it's a CP meme. That goes back to this post by dj_patm, which was his defense for claiming that Papa John's was the best pizza he'd had in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
We tried Sbarro's my Madison Square Garden, Some little shop across the street from it and some place in SoHo (really good but way to far to even think about going to regularly)

We did tend to be drunk and tired and the deal the guys gave us made it way more appealing.

It was actually quite tasty from what I remember.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #36
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is N.Y. a good winter destination? We’re into theatre, restaurants, walking around the city....
Depends on what you're used to. NY has a humid, windy cold similar to Vancouver (with a bit less rain). I went once in March and it was a bone chilling humid cold even though it was only around -5. If you're used to it - no problem. But I'd never go back in the winter. IMO best time to go is mid/late fall - warm enough during the day, usually not too cold at night and way less rain
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #37
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to House of Yes in Brooklyn, it's quite the unique club / bar experience.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19 View Post
Re-upping this thread. Will be heading to NYC in 2 weeks for 5 days staying in Manhattan. So far our plans are a Rangers game, a couple shows and the comedy cellar. The rest is wide open.

Any recommendations for restaurants/tours/bars/anything else? Also looking for recommendations for a good bar/bottomless brunch place close to MSG for before the Rangers game (afternoon game vs the oil).

Thanks!
I was just there in June.

You can go on a tour of Madison Square Garden, tours run all throughout the day and is relatively cheap. You get to see lots of behind the scenes and learn and see lots of cool history about the building and acts that have played there

Not sure if it's your thing but we went to the 911 memorial and museum, spent about 6 hours there. It was really cool and learned alot. I'd go back there

There's a good view from the top of the Empire State building, but the rest of the building isn't exciting. The statue liberty was a cool experience, Skip the Ellis Island tour.

Also the Subway is the best way to get around and also the cheapest

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #39
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also Times Square at night is unreal, really neat to see all the lights and screens going

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #40
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Wife and I went in May... loved it... Take a good stroll in Central park... we spent about 6 hours hanging out there. Top Of the Rock was cool... 9/11 museum was a must see for us... as sober as it was. And if you don't want to stop at the Statue of Liberty but want to get closer, take the staten island ferry... its free and it cruises right by it. Took the wife to Tavern on the Green for Lunch on her birthday, it was nice, and actually reasonably prices (for NYC).
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote