Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #3861
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know how Altitude Qualifying segments work with Air Canada?
Can I book the lowest Standard fare and still collect the full AQS?
I see it only gives you 50% of the Aeroplan miles.

I stopped flying very often when my son was born and I lost Elite status but want to pick that back up this year to make flying more enjoyable again.

Thanks
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:34 AM   #3862
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post

I stopped flying very often when my son was born and I lost Elite status but want to pick that back up this year to make flying more enjoyable again.

Thanks

I regularly book with Tango level fare and always get credited the flight segment for AQS. Obviously, you lose out on Altitude Qualifying Dollars which can make a big impact once you start getting to > 35k Status.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #3863
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks
A segment is a segment. They don't award partial or fractions of a segment. The theory behind it is so they can reward folks who fly shorthaul a lot. It wouldn't be fair to give someone status on a few long haul flights, but not the business person flying numerous short routes.

Due to people like me, who would say "This is a travel day regardless, I don't care if I spent it in a hotel room, or an airport bar, I'll book the extra segments" they added the dollar spent.

The first time I hit status, I opted for a YQY-YUL-YTZ return routing (6 segments) as opposed to a direct YQY-YYZ return booking (2 segments).

To answer the question asked: Standard fare, every flight segment is one segment, even if you are only awarded a fraction of the miles flown.

That said, you do not get credit for basic fare.

Also keep in mind that AQD also needs to be met.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #3864
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
I regularly book with Tango level fare and always get credited the flight segment for AQS. Obviously, you lose out on Altitude Qualifying Dollars which can make a big impact once you start getting to > 35k Status.
FYI they changed the names of the fare classes, it's now
  • Basic
  • Standard
  • Flex
  • Comfort
  • Lattitude

Tango is now Standard.

Basic is new which is essentially just the seat, no perks, think buying a ticket on Flair.

Comfort is also new, a few extra points, alcoholic drink included, preferred seats, and reduced change fees (free same day standby).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #3865
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks, do the AQD count full value towards the $4000 spend on a Standard fare?

I usually end up with a few last minute flights that aren't cheap so I shouldn't have a problem as long as every dollar counts.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #3866
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, do the AQD count full value towards the $4000 spend on a Standard fare?

I usually end up with a few last minute flights that aren't cheap so I shouldn't have a problem as long as every dollar counts.

Thanks
Yes and no.

Yes, the cost of the ticket is credited at full value.

However, just the ticket before taxes and fees.

I did a quick search on the Air Canada app for a flight from Calgary to Edmonton for tomorrow.

Standard fare is $271. Your AQD would be credited for $209 as there are $62 in taxes and fees.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #3867
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the help. Now I just need to book 35 of those this year to get that sweet security line and lounge access.
In the past I always picked up status by flying GP to Calgary with a stop in Edmonton to double the segment count.
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #3868
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, here's a question that is nagging me a bit. If I purchase the tickets for a flight for myself, wife, 2 kids. How do I get all of the miles for that flight? It seems like I am not able to collect the miles for the wife and kids. I tried this with Flying Blue, ANA, and Aeroplan. I feel like I am missing something here, but when I enter in my information for the rewards programs for each family member, it doesn't let me. I think ANA has a "family" program. Do I actually need to get a card for each family member and then combine the rewards points later?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #3869
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, here's a question that is nagging me a bit. If I purchase the tickets for a flight for myself, wife, 2 kids. How do I get all of the miles for that flight? It seems like I am not able to collect the miles for the wife and kids. I tried this with Flying Blue, ANA, and Aeroplan. I feel like I am missing something here, but when I enter in my information for the rewards programs for each family member, it doesn't let me. I think ANA has a "family" program. Do I actually need to get a card for each family member and then combine the rewards points later?
Unfortunately you can't collect miles from someone else's ticket. The accounts are tied to individuals. At least with Aeroplan they are. I'm pretty sure it's the same way with most airline miles/rewards programs, but there might be exceptions.

Airline rewards programs generally make it pointless to try and transfer your miles to someone else for the purpose of combining the miles, by charging expensive fees.

You can however, redeem your miles for airfares in anyone else's name that you want.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #3870
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Unfortunately you can't collect miles from someone else's ticket. The accounts are tied to individuals. At least with Aeroplan they are. I'm pretty sure it's the same way with most airline miles/rewards programs, but there might be exceptions.

Airline rewards programs generally make it pointless to try and transfer your miles to someone else for the purpose of combining the miles, by charging expensive fees.

You can however, redeem your miles for airfares in anyone else's name that you want.

So even though I have paid for the flights, I can't collect all of the miles and 3/4 of the miles are wasted, unless I get my wife and young kids some rewards cards?

ANA has some kind of family account that I haven't looked into fully. I presume you could then use those for any of the Star Alliance flights? What exactly can I do with a mashup of Aeroplan, ANA, and KLM miles?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #3871
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yes
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #3872
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone ever use their WestJet Elite Mastercard for lounge access? Can you use any of the lounges at YYC?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #3873
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Anyone ever use their WestJet Elite Mastercard for lounge access? Can you use any of the lounges at YYC?
I don't think it gives you lounge access anywhere? If it does I've been sorely missing out.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #3874
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't think it gives you lounge access anywhere? If it does I've been sorely missing out.
It was my understanding it acts like a yearly membership but you still have to pay for the lounge itself which is like $15. There are some other cards that give out lounge passes though
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #3875
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure about lounge access with the WestJet card but I know they give $250 westjet dollars when you sign up ($120 annual fee) and if you open an RBC bank account you can get an additional $300 westjet dollars, and a $39 rebate on the card fee (only drawback is the steep bank fees with RBC)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #3876
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For all of you AC Frequent Flyers and Elite Members, does Air Canada still have upgrade certificates? Or is everything done via the bid functionality online now when checking-in?

I'm looking to upgrade my seats on YYCLHR but in a cost-friendly method. Ideally, I was going to look to purchase upgrade certificates and utilize them (vs. submitting a bid).

Is this a pipe dream?
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #3877
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
For all of you AC Frequent Flyers and Elite Members, does Air Canada still have upgrade certificates? Or is everything done via the bid functionality online now when checking-in?

I'm looking to upgrade my seats on YYCLHR but in a cost-friendly method. Ideally, I was going to look to purchase upgrade certificates and utilize them (vs. submitting a bid).

Is this a pipe dream?
Pipe Dream.

They replaced physical certificates with electronic upgrade points.

I think if you're a super elite member you can gift upgrades but I'm not certain of that (might be thinking of gifting status).

If you're travelling with someone with upgrade points on the same itinerary then they can use their points to upgrade you and anyone on the itinerary.

That said, upgrades are subject to availability.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #3878
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Not sure about lounge access with the WestJet card but I know they give $250 westjet dollars when you sign up ($120 annual fee) and if you open an RBC bank account you can get an additional $300 westjet dollars, and a $39 rebate on the card fee (only drawback is the steep bank fees with RBC)

The Scotiabank Passport VISA has some free lounge credits and no foreign currency exchange fee. I don’t know if it has anything other perks though.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #3879
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
It was my understanding it acts like a yearly membership but you still have to pay for the lounge itself which is like $15. There are some other cards that give out lounge passes though
Yeah I think you still have to pay but wasn't sure which lounges you could use at YYC or if anyone had used it there for that.

The fine print says" Mastercard Airport Experiences provided by LoungeKey".

Last edited by Tyler; 02-07-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #3880
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Yeah I think you still have to pay but wasn't sure which lounges you could use at YYC or if anyone had used it there for that.

The fine print says" Mastercard Airport Experiences provided by LoungeKey".

The Swissport Chinook lounge at the A gates, the Aspire lounges in the Transborder and the International concourses are accessible to LoungeKey... $27USD per person per visit.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post: