Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #381
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If someone is paying 35k in childcare, they don't need a subsidy.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #382
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yup..it amazes me how people are so easily and readily bought off with their own money.
How does it amaze you?

People still tells tales of “the Ralph bucks!”

People are salivating over getting rid of the carbon tax.

There are two things that excite people about government money: when they take less of it, or give you more of it. Those feelings exceed any partisan limitations.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #383
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How does it amaze you?

People still tells tales of “the Ralph bucks!”

People are salivating over getting rid of the carbon tax.

There are two things that excite people about government money: when they take less of it, or give you more of it. Those feelings exceed any partisan limitations.
Ralph Bucks were given out at a time with surplus budgets when they literally taxed us too much and it wasn't part of an election campaign.

Free money now when we're in debt (and deficit) makes zero sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #384
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Ralph Bucks were given out at a time with surplus budgets when they literally taxed us too much and it wasn't part of an election campaign.

Free money now when we're in debt (and deficit) makes zero sense.

So if they taxed too much when we had a surplus, that means they're not taxing enough when we have a deficit, right?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #385
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
So if they taxed too much when we had a surplus, that means they're not taxing enough when we have a deficit, right?
Technically speaking for this arguments sake - sure.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #386
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any tax break would be your own money, it’s a silly point.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #387
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Notley sounds like she doesn’t have a plan. Her platform compared to Kenney’s is sparse and safe. Don’t say too much or you’ll turn voters away. Agree with Kenney’s platform or not, at least he’s clear on his party’s objectives. The expierience shows.
Universal $25/daycare is safe??

I'd call it ambitious.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #388
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Notley sounds like she doesn’t have a plan. Her platform compared to Kenney’s is sparse and safe. Don’t say too much or you’ll turn voters away. Agree with Kenney’s platform or not, at least he’s clear on his party’s objectives. The expierience shows.

Whenever Notley does come out with a promise it all requires massive spending. Got anything else Rachel?
Her negative ad campaign is turning voters away.

She thinks she can buy Albertans votes.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #389
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

So Kenney announced today that if elected he would roll back the NDP's amended School Act and reinstate the old PC's Education Act of 2014. This basically rolls back protections for LGBTQ youth, particularly with regards to GSA's. There is literally no benefit to doing this outside of ideological purposes.

Greg Clark's response is on point for me:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110383731343134720

I'm going to guess that Kenney has all but vaporized any support from the LGBTQ community by doing this. Perusing social media would seem to indicate that this is a fairly big deal for them and see this as a huge step back as well.

That said, I'm sure this will be overshadowed by pipelines and job talk. This might come back to bite him later though.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #390
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This proposal doesn’t appear to eliminate GSAs. It does role back the requirement to schools not to out children in GSAs in Bill 24

I think the return to 50% diploma exams which hurts Alberta’s students ability to get into universities outside Alberta and the return of phonics and old Math becuase they are “tried and true” is pretty ridiculous. Just add some Math homework to cover the wrote learning. The concepts they teach in new Math are great.

Last edited by GGG; 03-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #391
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost my vote for sure. I really hope he loses now.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #392
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Lost my vote for sure. I really hope he loses now.
I guess if this election is about pipelines and jobs and getting that economy back to what it was 15 years ago, it makes sense to pull the education curriculum back to that era too!

UCP would roll back school protections for LGBTQ students, add new provincial exams

A United Conservative Party government would proclaim a seven-year-old piece of education legislation, turfing some legal protections for Alberta LGBTQ students and school staff introduced by the NDP government.

UCP Leader Jason Kenney said Monday if elected to government, his party would replace Alberta’s School Act with the former Progressive Conservative government’s Education Act. It would eliminate changes the NDP introduced with Bill 24, which requires school principals to immediately grant student requests to form a gay-straight alliance and requires private schools to have publicly available policies to protect LGBTQ students.

“We want safe schools, we want peer support for kids who need it, and I think we can do it while respecting the basic religious freedom of faith-based independent schools,” Kenney said in Calgary Monday.

The move would return the law to how it read in 2015 after the former PC government passed its Bill 10. Those changes compelled all school principals — public and private — to establish a gay-straight alliance or similar extracurricular club when a student requested one, and said students could choose a respectful club name.

----

Why is this even a thing.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #393
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Haha seriously, the anti-UCP negative campaign is writing itself.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #394
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone really believe the UCP is secretly working with teachers to out LGBTQ students? Or is it possible they feel the NDP legislation handcuffs teachers, social workers, nurses... and place them at risk of prosecution or job loss if they think it beneficial to have discussions with a concerned parent regarding their child?
To be clear, they have said they do not want notification of GSA involvement made mandatory.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who's LGBTQ. Life is hard enough without the government telling you there's a booggie man out there waiting to get you and expose you and you can't trust your teachers or your parents because they won't understand it'll put you in harms way if you do.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #395
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Agree or disagree, I am glad we are getting to see the UCP platform.
I am not sure we have seen anything from the NDP. Some discussion about "we are going to create jobs, increase teachers, increase doctors, increase spending" isn't really campaigning and I assumed we would see more in terms of concrete ideas to try and win over some voters.

Perhaps they are taking the less said is better approach while hoping the UCP can shoot itself in the foot a few more times.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #396
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I honestly feel bad for anyone who's LGBTQ. Life is hard enough without the government telling you there's a booggie man out there waiting to get you and expose you and you can't trust your teachers or your parents because they won't understand it'll put you in harms way if you do.
Yeah, the understanding schools that want to restrict GSAs are totally looking out for the well being of the LBGTQ student under the oppressive fear mongering of the government listening to their concerns.

But this election isn’t about social issues...
Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #397
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The most common reason I see among friends and family to have a parent stay home is because it's cheaper than the alternative of child care.

Having subsidized child care which allows more people to go back to work creates all kinds of benefits, including higher household incomes and better mental health for parents who want to balance a career with home life.

That said, I know it's not a program for everyone and a balance needs to be found, which I believe the Alberta Party finds a good cross-section of (half a Billion less in their program than the NDP). They will also provide a caregiver tax credit and make it easier to create licensed child-care spaces.

Well it is a good thing we can get all of these stay at home moms or dads back into the workforce filling all of those vacant employment positions.

If it is more cost effective for a family to have a stay at home parent than daycare then perhaps it isn't the worst thing in this economy not to mention a good thing for their children.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #398
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Well it is a good thing we can get all of these stay at home moms or dads back into the workforce filling all of those vacant employment positions.

If it is more cost effective for a family to have a stay at home parent than daycare then perhaps it isn't the worst thing in this economy not to mention a good thing for their children.
Well with this logic we should have a daycare tax to discourage more parents from entering the workforce to reduce the labour pool.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #399
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Does anyone really believe the UCP is secretly working with teachers to out LGBTQ students? Or is it possible they feel the NDP legislation handcuffs teachers, social workers, nurses... and place them at risk of prosecution or job loss if they think it beneficial to have discussions with a concerned parent regarding their child?
To be clear, they have said they do not want notification of GSA involvement made mandatory.

Yes. The government invented the boogieman. We’re all so stupid.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #400
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post

Speaking as someone with a single income with kids and a wife that has been stuck at home with the kids for 6 years I would have a much different opinion on this matter, especially the bolded.

I respect your opinion but I think it's short sighted.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 03-25-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Closed Thread