Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #141
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Ok well I'm not saying David Rittich is the next coming of Kiprusoff. Miikka is up there with the greats in terms of being a consistently amazing goaltender for about 10 years.

The similarity I'm talking about is this:

A Flames team, with no clear cut #1 goaltender, picks up a quirky mid 20's European goaltender. He doesn't have anything to prove to anyone but himself. No one really expected him to be here, but now he's making timely big saves and actually stealing games for the Flames.

He's athletic, flexible, incredible quick reflexes, and when the camera is on him during game time, he looks dialed in.
Rittich is also in play to get a Vezina nomination this year. There's no goalie with stats that lap the field so Rittich's 17-4-3 record could come into play. Gibson is most people's favourite right now but he's got the same saver percentage and a lot worse GAA.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #142
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really interesting how a goalie's projection is so hard to predict. Teams do such a good job with forwards and defensemen but are seemingly stumped when it comes to goalies. You get highly rated first round picks like Trevor Kidd, who end up being pretty average compared to his peers and on the other side, you get 7th round picks like Lundqvist who end ip being consistent all star goalies year over year.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #143
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Rittich is also in play to get a Vezina nomination this year. There's no goalie with stats that lap the field so Rittich's 17-4-3 record could come into play. Gibson is most people's favourite right now but he's got the same saver percentage and a lot worse GAA.
Rittich will definitely get some votes. But actually, Gibson’s GAA is actually more impressive to me because it means he faces a lot more shots than Rittich. The Ducks allow a lot of shots and high quality chances, ao Gibson has really saved them from disaster this season. He’s been the best goaltender in the NHL this season, whether or not he wins the award though remains to be seen.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #144
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Rittich will definitely get some votes. But actually, Gibson’s GAA is actually more impressive to me because it means he faces a lot more shots than Rittich. The Ducks allow a lot of shots and high quality chances, ao Gibson has really saved them from disaster this season. He’s been the best goaltender in the NHL this season, whether or not he wins the award though remains to be seen.
I think Fleury wins it this year. The Vezina recipient is selected by NHL general managers, and they have a tendency to set a very high priority on legacy. Fleury has never won before, and he likely does not have many opportunities left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #145
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Mike Smith was acquired with the notion that one of Gillies or Rittich would supplant him as starter by Year Two. Which is indeed the case now (although more of a push from Gillies would've been better).
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #146
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It's really interesting how a goalie's projection is so hard to predict. Teams do such a good job with forwards and defensemen but are seemingly stumped when it comes to goalies. You get highly rated first round picks like Trevor Kidd, who end up being pretty average compared to his peers and on the other side, you get 7th round picks like Lundqvist who end ip being consistent all star goalies year over year.
I think it's because so much of a goalies game is mental. The best goalies are able to maintain that cool and keep confident when conditions may not be optimal.

It's easier to predict a skater's future based on physical tools, size, skating, speed, etc. So much harder to get in between the ears of an 18 year old goaltender and know if what's working in his head as a junior will continue as a pro.

I can't remember who I was listening to recently, but I think it was Brent Krahn or maybe Hrudey who estimated something huge like 90% of a goalies game is upstairs. Once that confidence and coolness is shot it can go downhill fast. It seems to work the other way too.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #147
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I can't remember who I was listening to recently, but I think it was Brent Krahn or maybe Hrudey who estimated something huge like 90% of a goalies game is upstairs. Once that confidence and coolness is shot it can go downhill fast. It seems to work the other way too.
Agreed, speaking from my own experience, it's all about the right mind set and being able to sustain it for the full lenght of a game. Great goalie never worry about letting in a goal. On the contrary, he is welcoming a high danger chance in front of him as an opportunity to show your worth and steal some spotlight for himself. But even if you have that, there will be moments in the game when it's hard to not be overwhelmed by circumstances. For example a PK late in the third, being up by one while your best D is sitting in the box. Those are defining moments for a goaltender. Coming up huge when your team needs it the most, but at the same time do not make any difference in how you play and think, despite the scoreline or time left on the clock. It's easier said than done.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #148
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite thing about Rittich is his consistency. He has let in more that three goals only twice this season, and has only been pulled once, and I feel that's very descriptive of his game. Some goalies will have more shutouts and highlight saves, but there's few better at just stopping enough basic shots night in and night out.

He will lose us a game at some point because even the best have bad nights, but overall I'd argue he's among the most consistent goalies in the league.

This is also why I think he's got an excellent chance to be exactly the long term starter we want: someone with a relatively low cap that will even allow us to sign a 1B if we can get one, and someone who can give us a chance every game and every year.

Not a Lundqvist or a Kipper but more of a Crawford. Good Enough Goalie.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #149
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think Fleury wins it this year. The Vezina recipient is selected by NHL general managers, and they have a tendency to set a very high priority on legacy. Fleury has never won before, and he likely does not have many opportunities left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s certainly a possibility. I do wonder if Ducks miss the playoffs, does Gibson get enough votes to nominated. I personally think he should, but sometimes voters have a tendency to penalize players and drop them down their list if their team doesn’t make the playoffs.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #150
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think goalies should be signed long term anymore. Everything is changing so fast from year to year and you never know which goalie is going to do well. There is just too much risk when it comes to goalies these days and I think GMs started realizing that by taking less goalies in the early rounds.

I think the next thing we see are smaller contracts. Maybe Treliving can work his magic and set the pace.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #151
Cinephile
Draft Pick

ESPN showing David Rittich some love:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...-flames-season

Quote:
Sure, it helps when Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan have 27 and 25 goals, respectively. And yes, it's been nice to have Elias Lindholm and Matthew Tkachuk break out. Even the defense has been stout. But the real reason the Flames haven't fallen behind the Vegas Golden Knights or San Jose Sharks in the Pacific Division? David Rittich.
Cinephile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinephile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #152
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

David Rittich's sv% is at .917 right now. Down a bit from a couple weeks ago. If he stays around there, that should keep the cap hit at a reasonable amount.

But at the same time, kind of goes to show the team needs a better back up option than Mike Smith at his point. Rittich is still just second year goaltender and Treliving needs to shore up this position and give the Flames 2 legitimate options that can inspire confidence. I think Smith can beat the Arizona Coyotes in a 7 game series, but against stiffer competition in the playoffs, I fear he might fold like he did against Boston a few games ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #153
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did he start getting the Big Game Dave moniker?

Big Save Dave sounds perfect
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #154
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It's easy - when a team plays like crap in front of a goalie consistently, of course the goalie's gonna get a lower save per game percentage or a not-so-great winning percentage. Playing with a good team makes you look better as well, unless if you're Kipper -that's a different story.

Thing I like about Rittich over Smith is that he's pretty consistent and you're pretty confident about him making the saves. With Smith and other butterfly goalies (Hiller comes to my mind) is that they like to go straight down on their knees and don't get back up. Rittich has more athletic abilities and he can read the plays quite well.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #155
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #156
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man as much of a character Rittich is he's a great guy.
He brought his younger brother Thomas, who has autism, to a Flames practice so that he was able to meet Harvey the Hound.

https://www.nhl.com/app/flames/news/...ve/c-304030802

Great read and it's just a sweet video to watch him meet Harvey.

Quote:
"To have Tomas here and get to see the smile on his face every day - it's the best," David said. "I love him very much."
Old 01-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #157
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He brought his younger brother Thomas, who has autism, to a Flames practice so that he was able to meet Harvey the Hound.

Where's the Kleenex?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #158
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Great story...

That's on top of David's own improbable journey to the NHL!

Didn't think it was possible to like the guy anymore, but i sure hope he is our #1 goalie for a long, long time...because you know he's going to be able to take care of his brother and the rest of his family with that money.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #159
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Off the top of my head, my suspicion was that not many recent cup winning teams had their starting goalies win all 16 playoff games. Turns out I was wrong, but I also looked at whether they were the defacto #1 for that whole season or not (lower GP might also have been due to injury)

Playoff wins by starting goalies in cup winning seasons: (reg season GS that year)

Holtby: 16 (54)
Murray: 7 in 2017 (47), 15 in 2016 (13)
Crawford: 13 in 2015 (57), 16 in 2013 (28)
Quick: 16 & 16 (68, 49 in '15 - injury?)
Thomas: 16 (55)
Niemi: 16 (35)
Fleury: 16 in 2009 [and 9 in 2017] (61 - 2008 + 34 & 46 in '17 and '18)
Osgood: 14 (40)
Giguere: 13 (56 GP - no GS stat on hockey ref before this year)
Ward: 15 (28 GP)
Khabibulin: 16 (55 GP)

Looking at the times 'elite workhorse ' goalies got to the finals, their GS was lower than typical:
in '12 when Brodeur started only 59 that year (he was 39 yo...)
Lundqvist started 62 in '14
Luongo 60 in '11.

Rask (34 - lockout year), Bishop (60), Jones (65), Rinne (59), Fleury (46).

Conclusion: Riding one goalie for 60+ starts in a season is unlikely to end with him raising the cup over his head. Even if you have a bonafide #1, their best playoff runs come when their reg season GS were kept under control. You rarely need your backup to win more than 1-2 playoff games, but you want them to take at least 25 reg season starts.

Rittich has started 25/49 so far. As painful as it was to see Smith get the nod so often, it's been hugely important to keep the end season number low. Riding him too hard early would have been a recipe for disaster.

I think Rittich has every potential to join the list(s) above. I also think you want to go into every season with two goalies who you wouldn't be unhappy to have start 50 games. Ideally this can be achieved for under $7M total.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #160
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ or to put that another way...

Teams typically ride 1 goalie through the playoffs, and that is the standard path to success. However, in order to do that, the goalie needs to be well rested before the playoffs start. Being the workhorse all year, then continuing that in the playoffs, is just too much to ask.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big , dave , save