Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #1801
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
He was at it again this morning. Talking about how the Flames took a half step back on the ice, trotting out a lot of the topics that have been mentioned here (Hamilton was our best defenceman, best pairing, Brodie is bad so he shouldn’t be paired with Gio, Lindholm is worse than Ferland because Ferland will be “motivated” this year, Fox is a top prospect, etc etc). All that said, and yet when Boomer pressed him and said “So you wouldn’t do the trade?” he complained about being walked to a point he wasn’t making, and that he didn’t have enough information about whether or not he’d make the trade.

He’s not only stubborn, but he can’t even stand behind what he says. Brutal take on this trade.

“This trade was terrible! But I’m not saying I wouldn’t make it.” .... sounds reasonable...

Yeah he almost gets offended that others have opposing opinions, so he works himself into a bit of a lather and jettisons cognitive reasoning from his abilities.

I don't think it's him playing off Boomer being the "straight" man either. It's genuine, which makes all the more ridiculous and annoying.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #1802
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching a bit of Lindholm's highlights, I don't think it's out of question to see him hit 50-60 points next season with Gaudreau and Monahan. What I love about him most is he is not afraid of screening the goalie. The only one that I really saw doing that consistently last season was Tkachuk. I can see Gaudreau feeding Monahan and Lindholm screening the goalie all day.

Shoot, if Lindholm only puts up 40 points but is a strong 2-way player all over the ice, that's all I ask of him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #1803
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Make no mistake, Giordano is the driving force of both if those pairings and I actually believe that playing with Hamilton has actually taken away from Giordano's game. It wasn't that long ago that he was being talked about as a Norris contender while paired with Brodie.

Could be Hamilton, or it could be that was two years ago and Giordano's on the high side of 30. That's a fear I have with this trade is that it kind of seems based on the assumption that Giordano and Brodie can form Brodano again.

Last edited by ZedMan; 06-26-2018 at 03:38 PM.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #1804
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Could be Hamilton, or it could be that was two years ago and Giordano's on the high side of 30. That's a fear I have with this trade is that it kind of seems based on the assumption that Giordano and Brodie can form Brodano again.
I get the concern, but Giordano sure does not look to have lost a step in the past three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #1805
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Someone posted an AC style highlight video of 2017/18 Lindholm.

Lindholm has an interesting skillset. Makes pretty passes and scores ugly goals.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #1806
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Lindholm's most common linemates were Aho and Staal.
Followed by Giuseppe and Skinner.
Followed by Aho and Teravainen.
Followed by Ryan and Skinner.
And then McGin and Rask.

Dobber hockey.

Looks like he played mostly ES minutes with top six players and played on the 1st PP unit.
I agree with FDW'S observations, and another thing I noticed is how many times the various announcers mentioned the "instant chemistry" with the lines, or how much the particular line has been producing on that night. It makes me wonder if Lindholm's workhorse style helps produce chances with whoever he is paired with, or if the chemistry is more likely attributable to other factors. I'm betting Lindholm's style has something to do with it.

Could Lindholm be the spark to get Bennett and Jankowski going enough to be a legitimate second line? Could he play on their RW, while providing some responsibility and defensive insurance for Jankowski as he continues to mature as a centre?

That would leave Tkachuk as the first line RW (provided that experiment works out), and then whoever works best with Backlund and Frolik.

I am much more comfortable that Lindholm could slot in on any of the top 3 lines and be effective and make his linemates better.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #1807
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a fair concern. And I think the #1 D pairing will decline over the next couple years.

But given Hanifin's age and skillset, I think the #2 pairing will improve at about the same rate that the #1 pairing declines. At some point, I expect Hanifin/Hamonic will became the #1 pairing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #1808
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That's a fair concern. And I think the #1 D pairing will decline over the next couple years.

But given Hanifin's age and skillset, I think the #2 pairing will improve at about the same rate that the #1 pairing declines. At some point, I expect Hanifin/Hamonic will became the #1 pairing.
*Hanifn/Valimaki
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #1809
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Thats the hope but the real biggest risk in this whole trade is that Gio remains elite for another ~1.5 seasons.

That is a big time risk but end of the day goaltending will be what makes or breaks this team. Smith just isn't good enough to take us deep in the playoffs. he'd be better suited as a 1B at this point.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #1810
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Lindholm has an interesting skillset. Makes pretty passes and scores ugly goals.
Not all are ugly:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #1811
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Age is always a concern but I think we get two more years of high level play out of Giordano. Just watching Giordano-Hamilton play you know Hamilton is not driving the play on the ice. Giordano does all of the heavy lifting out there.

I really hope we see another young guy in the lineup and start getting Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington NHL ice time. We need these guys to develop while the others decline. I think we have a good mix of ages on the back end right now.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #1812
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Near the end of the video his goal against Philly was a thing of beauty
Old 06-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #1813
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Thats the hope but the real biggest risk in this whole trade is that Gio remains elite for another ~1.5 seasons.
I'm not sure that this trade increases that risk. If Gio regressed right now, the Flames would be in huge trouble even if they still had Dougie.

Hannifin is younger than Hamilton. If Gio disappears quickly, I'd rather have the younger guy in the fold as we are retooling anyway.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #1814
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noah Hanifin's Highlight video from same cat who's Lindholm video I posted yesterday.

Big things you notice. Like the slap you in the face about Hanifin.

Aggresive a F**** on pinches.

Reads plays so well so when he does pinch, its low risk.

Skates hard as heck. Kind of the opposite of dougies smooth gazelle like stride.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-26-2018 at 07:40 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #1815
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Noah Hanafin's Highlight video from same cat who's Lindholm video I posted yesterday.
It's from Galaxy91122 of r/CalgaryFlames for the record. He's the guy that posts the awesome 60fps GIFYs of the goals after games there.

I know he's posted here previously.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #1816
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's from Galaxy91122 of r/CalgaryFlames for the record. He's the guy that posts the awesome 60fps GIFYs of the goals after games there.

I know he's posted here previously.
Nice. These things popped up on my youtube list near the top within minutes of him uploading them two days in a row so I thought I'd share. Good to know these are from a Flames fan. Thanks to him and you for all your hard work on these things.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #1817
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Big things you notice. Like the slap you in the face about Hanifin.

Aggresive a F**** on pinches.

Reads plays so well so when he does pinch, its low risk.

Skates hard as heck. Kind of the opposite of dougies smooth gazelle like stride.
I think the idea of having Brodie and Hanifin on the top 2 pairs means we'll have a fast skating Dman that is eager to rush up and join/start rushes.

At some point I think Kylington and/or Valimaki could also be that defenceman on the 3rd pair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #1818
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish people would put together highlight packages of players doing something other than scoring goals.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #1819
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish people would put together highlight packages of players doing something other than scoring goals.
I was thinking about that the other day actually. like where the videos of fantastic D awareness?

Or videos showing the warts. These things are a lot of work though.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #1820
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I do...

My Gaudreau videos are probably 50% him dominating but not leading to goals.

My Tkachuk videos are probably 50% his scrums and possession shifts.