Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #6761
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Mark Stone is the player this team needs to trade for.

He is perfect for the playoffs.

Big, clutch, incredible defensively, excellent offensively. You add a player like that, who is on a similar point pace as Tkachuk, to the second line, and suddenly it makes everything easier for every other line on the team.

Want to match your top d against the Flames top line? Fine. We then put out two 90 point wingers centered by a Selke candidate center.

Top line heavy team? Our second line will completely shut you down and beat you on the score sheet, while our top line feasts on everyone else.

Stone is a player that puts you into the conversation of winning a head to head series against Tampa.

That's the goal. It has to be.

The Flames haven't been this good since the 80's. Literally my lifetime.

So I'm comfortable saying, that this season is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Flames, and it is time to push their chips in.
Stone is the one of the few players that I would trade the 1st for without hesitation.
He's quite underrated. 2nd straight season over a point per game. Big, good defensively, right hand shot.

It would take something crazy to acquire him. Maybe 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, Dillon Dube, Oliver Kylington, Frolik, and Smith or Stone for cap reasons. It might be smart to keep Stone so that it's easier for Mark Stone to stay longer.
Obviously it would be tough to trade away Kylington and Dube, but Stone is an elite player. He's also young enough that I don't really mind trading away a lot of the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #6762
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see any way we could re-sign Stone. He would likely just be a rental, which is fine. The rumours were that he wanted over $8 million per.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #6763
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://theathletic.com/763130/2019/...-appreciation/

Duhatschek thinks Bouwmeester could be a natural fit for the Flames...

...I mean...

...maybe???...

Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #6764
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

...I mean...

...maybe???...
No no and no
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #6765
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Duha explores what the Flames could do at the deadline.

Summary:
He advises against getting a goalie because the price will be high and it sends the wrong message to the team citing Miller and Bishop deals not working out for St. Louis and LA respectively.

Says Calgary is deep on forward and thus the only move they are interested in is getting a 3rd pair LHS d-man on an expiring contract to play with Andersson.
Suggests Bouwmeester (hide for cover Eric, incoming Flames fans with pitchforks) and Gunnarsson make the most sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #6766
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jbo is the opposite of a guy you want for the playoffs.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #6767
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

...I mean...

...maybe???...
I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but Bouwmeester is a pending UFA, and logs 20 mins/night in St Louis. As an option for the third pair and depth for a long playoff run this is not a terrible idea. I suspect he would come cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #6768
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd much prefer a guy like Nick Jensen, who, although he shoots right, reminds me of Michal Kempny from last year with Washington. Really think he could be fantastic, he's already one of Detroit's better defensemen.

I'm ambivalent towards Bouwmeester. If he's cheap, it could be worth a shot... but there's gotta be someone better out there.

@Hackey -- I mean, J-Bo has been to the conference finals, he's won Olympic Gold, he's not entirely useless in meaningful games. I know lots of Flames fans hate him but I doubt he'd be the absolute worst option.

I'd give up, like, a 5th for him. At most.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #6769
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hard to do something with boumeesters cap though.

I see gunnarson as more likely simply because you don't have to send back money
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #6770
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see someone paying more than Tre is willing to offer for Bouwmeester. Don't see it happening at all.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #6771
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I suspect he would come cheap.
Something cheap like Mark Cundari, Reto Berra, and Emile Poirier?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #6772
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Random thoughts & speculation:

- Some of the Flames' strengths: B & C-type forward & goalie prospects (quantity vs. quality), good young NHL D, a hell of a first line outperforming their contracts, 2/3 of a potentially dangerous 2nd line, a goalie outperforming his contract, decent bottom-6 forwards.

-Weaknesses: a 2nd-line RW (except in the unlikely event Neal gets going); lacking elite prospects; they have barely any D prospects at all, and none on the right side; Mike Smith's dreadful performances; cap space; no 2nd-round pick this year, a veteran rugged LD.

Obviously none of the first line, Rittich, Tkachuk or Gio are getting traded. Other contracts are immovable objects, ie. Smith & Neal. That's at least 8 regulars who are staying with the organization this year one way or another. And then it's really improbable they move either good contributors like Andersson, Backlund, Ryan, Hamonic, Hanifin, Brodie or players with little to no value like Peluso.

Forward prospects like Ruzicka, Koumontzis and Bread Eater or tweeners like Foo won't yield much on their own, although it may be possible to package them to get veteran D depth or maybe even a backup goalie.

That leaves:

-Bennett, who I don't see them moving since he's still developing and provides good physicality.

- Hathaway, who is also worth more being in the lineup than he would in a trade.

- Frolik, whose contract may be prohibitive to buyers.

- Valimaki or Kylington. I don't want to see them go, and Treliving is probably either reluctant or totally unwilling to part with them.

-Dubé, their best prospect.

- Stone. He's hurt and I honestly have no idea whether other clubs would be interested in a 3.5 M 5th D.

- Draft picks. I don't want to lose the 1st-rounder without getting at least a high 2nd, which would take a separate move. Next year's 1st could be in play, although dealing it's a gamble I'm not sure is worth taking.

One of the B/C prospects and, say, a 3rd could land a backup goalie or veteran D help. The 2nd-line forward would cost at least Dubé or Valimaki/Kylington + a 1st or 2nd. I don't see that happening.

Frolik is a bit of a wild card. He has his uses and is apparently disgruntled, but he's got a pretty high contract with still a year left, and other GM's will want some assurance that he'd become relatively gruntled upon being dealt.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #6773
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but Bouwmeester is a pending UFA, and logs 20 mins/night in St Louis. As an option for the third pair and depth for a long playoff run this is not a terrible idea. I suspect he would come cheap.
It is a brutal idea! With the exception of Team Canada that carried him the guy has been the definition of career loser. Do people forget how bad this guys game regresses under pressure? Christ, I would rather bring back Chris Butler than Bouwmeester if I had to choose between them. I will seriously lose my **** if Bouw comes back here. Would rather just play Prout.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #6774
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kronwall over Bouwmeester please and thank you; we have the least hits in the league and adding Bouw and his weak game and 20 hits through 38 games doesn’t make our team harder to play against. Add to that the 3 years of familiarity Peters has with Kronwall and it seems like a no brainer to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #6775
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize that Mark Stone is a UFA (not an RFA) after this season.
I would still pay quite a bit to get him, but less than what I posted above. If the Flames had the cap space, I don't think Stone would be too hard to re-sign.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #6776
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Duha explores what the Flames could do at the deadline.

Says Calgary is deep on forward and thus the only move they are interested in is getting a 3rd pair LHS d-man on an expiring contract to play with Andersson.
Suggests Bouwmeester (hide for cover Eric, incoming Flames fans with pitchforks) and Gunnarsson make the most sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #6777
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Nah.
Are you even Flames fan? I mean we have so many opportunities here, like every 15 years or something. Practically like the Habs in the 70's.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 01-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #6778
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Something cheap like Mark Cundari, Reto Berra, and Emile Poirier?
So a first and second round pick?
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #6779
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is a brutal idea! With the exception of Team Canada that carried him the guy has been the definition of career loser. Do people forget how bad this guys game regresses under pressure? Christ, I would rather bring back Chris Butler than Bouwmeester if I had to choose between them. I will seriously lose my **** if Bouw comes back here. Would rather just play Prout.
I don't want him back either, but in a purely academic sense, I have no issue with Bouwmeester as the #5.

Would prefer Kronwall.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #6780
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Kronwall over Bouwmeester please and thank you; we have the least hits in the league and adding Bouw and his weak game and 20 hits through 38 games doesn’t make our team harder to play against. Add to that the 3 years of familiarity Peters has with Kronwall and it seems like a no brainer to me.
One of the main reasons why Calgary has the least hits in the league is because they have the puck more than the other team.

Chicago had few hits in their glory years, FWIW.

Teams with the puck get hit more often than teams without it.

It's the same for teams who block lots of shots. It's because the other team is firing the puck at them so much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread