Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #1261
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I don't equate quality just to THC level. I was a medical user for 3 years before this, so I'm very familiar with the LPs supplying the stores right now, I've gone through most of them over the years. Quality comes from not only potency, but trim, cure, appearance, smell, etc. I get huge, well trimmed and sticky buds from anywhere but the stores and LPs. I get small tiny buds that crumble away 80% of the time, which is what pushed me away from them long before legalization. I've tried a few stores, a few growers and different strains, it's all the same. Dried up tiny buds surrounded in a container by what can best be described as shake. It's harsh to use, and sure it gets you high, but not for a premium price
Bud quality was my first disappointment in the legal market, but im happy to say it has vastly improved since October.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #1262
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who didn't really smoke before legalization, I've been perfectly happy with buying from the government. It's allowed me to experiment with a couple of different strains and find ones that are right for me and know that that's what I'm getting. I don't remember having that level of consistency or assuredness with the Terrys I dealt with in my late teens and early 20s
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #1263
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok... newbie stupid question. Why do I keep hearing about this Terry guy? Is this like a Fubar reference?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #1264
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ok... newbie stupid question. Why do I keep hearing about this Terry guy? Is this like a Fubar reference?
It's just some random name a person made up to refer to a weed dealer. For the purposes of these discussions.

Mom = mail order marijuana
Terry = local dealer
Old 01-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #1265
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
It's just some random name a person made up to refer to a weed dealer. For the purposes of these discussions.
Spoiler!
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #1266
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, weed has been legal for a few months now and our society hasn't collapsed. Whoda thunk.

It's actually quite startling to see just how little appears to have outwardly changed. When I went to the dome for the Buffalo game, there were a few people smoking between the BMO centre and the entrance, and everyone was cool about it. Nobody grumbled about the smell (which won't kill you, keep walking).

Does anyone have a negative legalization story?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #1267
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

I'm curious about this as well.

I'm older than dirt so I'm not out at bars or clubs or concerts very often but I've wondered if people have noticed much of a change at these venues or even at house parties.

Are people using marijuana much more openly now and how is it being received by the general public?

Maybe because it's been ingrained in my brain for so many years, I'd still feel kind of weird openly and casually smoking weed (as compared to discretely).

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #1268
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only negative is smelling it on the street more often. With cigarettes becoming less and less popular the amount of times you smelled other peoples smoke was few and far between. It has gone up with weed being legalized. Not terribly bad or anything just really annoying.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #1269
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It won't be long I'm sure before we hear about the first impairment while driving case where there was a fatality. It's a matter of time.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #1270
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
I'm curious about this as well.

I'm older than dirt so I'm not out at bars or clubs or concerts very often but I've wondered if people have noticed much of a change at these venues or even at house parties.

Are people using marijuana much more openly now and how is it being received by the general public?

Maybe because it's been ingrained in my brain for so many years, I'd still feel kind of weird openly and casually smoking weed (as compared to discretely).

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
Counterintuitive as it may be, I've actually cut way back on public/conspicuous consumption. After I got my medical card, I had this attitude of 'The PM says it's legal, get used to it, here's my doctor's note'. I wouldn't be obnoxious, I'd stand thirty or forty feet from any entrances, but I wouldn't make much of an attempt to hide - arrest me if it bothers you so much. I'm taking my dog through the park - if there's nobody around, I'd spark up. Why not.

Since its become legal, I think I've smoked in public maybe four or five times. I didn't see that coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It won't be long I'm sure before we hear about the first impairment while driving case where there was a fatality. It's a matter of time.
Don't drive on edibles.

Maybe I'm just a tank. Or I have a problem; I'm open to either. But unless it's your first experience with cannabis, or unless you've got some titanically powerful stuff, a bong rip should not impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle and judge spatial relationships. It would be like arguing a person who took a shot of vodka was unsafe to drive.

And yes I'm aware of the laws. I accept them and abide by them. It seemed a fair trade for full legalization. Don't drive if you're ####ed up. But let's acknowledge the realities of what we're dealing with.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-25-2019 at 11:02 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #1271
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used to think this way, too, but now I sort of work in a field that deals with drugs and driving, and the scientific evidence suggesting that people driving under the influence of cannabis are at higher risk of crashes is definitely lacking.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #1272
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
I’m sure we’ve all heard the saying “Cheap, fast, quality” pick 2 cause you can’t have all 3. Legalization has proven this theory incorrect because the black market is cheaper, quicker and of much higher quality lol

I do respect those of you supporting the legal system, but I can’t help but wonder if the CBD oil that doesn’t have any effect might just be that way because it’s crap.
That saying pretty much gets thrown out the window when you add “er” at the end, as it’s always possible, and even more so when selection is operating outside of any regulatory market.

The CBD oil available from the legal market (at least some of the selection) is the same that was available to the medical community prior to legalisation. It’s not like legalisation meant everyone was just starting from square one and saying “How I do weed??” Much of the time, these are established producers.

I can’t really say I’ve tried a CBD oil from Terry, but a couple of the major producers have worked great for me, and the quality of the oil hasn’t changed at all since legalisation.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #1273
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I can’t really say I’ve tried a CBD oil from Terry, but a couple of the major producers have worked great for me, and the quality of the oil hasn’t changed at all since legalisation.
Do you just take a squirt of CBD oil and then an hour or two feel more relaxed, less in pain, or whatever it is you're going for, or do you need to take it daily for a few days before you feel anything?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #1274
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People have been driving stoned for decades. Is there any reason to believe we'll see substantially more people doing it now that pot is legal?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #1275
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
People have been driving stoned for decades. Is there any reason to believe we'll see substantially more people doing it now that pot is legal?
Substantially? Probably not, though I think there will be an uptick.

Now that it is so out in the open I expect that more impaired driving accidents will be associated with it, but the ratio has probably always been there.

Apart from noticing the smell of it WAY more (including in my condo from my neighbors) not much has changed.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #1276
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've driven stoned probably a thousand times in my life. Being really stoned and driving is just not comparable to being really drunk and driving, IMO.

However, the law is the law. So I don't drive stoned anymore.

Also, I've still yet to step foot in an actual 'legal' store. The convenience, price, and quality you get from the MOM's trumps everything they offer. Not to mention the town I live in has 2 stores but neither are open yet as the town is playing hardball.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #1277
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Colorado would say yes there is, although not necessarily to the level of impairment.

My point is sooner or later there will be fatality due to someone driving stoned. This was rarely publicized before but I am willing to bet the police will make a point of doing so now that cannabis is legal. And they will also be testing for it more specifically now so chances are more people will be caught. And that is negative publicity which is what the question was.

Of course not everyone who partakes is going to be stoned enough not to drive, but that was not the question.

https://gazette.com/news/mixed-findi...5312abb33.html
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #1278
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
So, weed has been legal for a few months now and our society hasn't collapsed. Whoda thunk.

It's actually quite startling to see just how little appears to have outwardly changed. When I went to the dome for the Buffalo game, there were a few people smoking between the BMO centre and the entrance, and everyone was cool about it. Nobody grumbled about the smell (which won't kill you, keep walking).

It's pretty funny how society seemed to have completely forgot about it in a matter of a month.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #1279
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
It's pretty funny how society seemed to have completely forgot about it in a matter of a month.
All the hand wringing in the months leading up to it was so amusing. Some of the callers on QR were just tripping about how there'll be stoned drivers everywhere, equipment operators swinging wrecking balls around, and the children, wouldn't anyone think of the children?

And here we are. Nothing changed except that the government is now collecting sweet sweet taxes from people that prefer to buy the legal route. I'm with Sliver on this. I'm a-ok with paying tax for a bag (box) of weed. It's just a thing I choose to buy, and I live in a country that collects taxes to build roads and schools and hospitals. Better than supporting my stoner friend that lived tax-free for over 20 years.

Sure it was a bit cheaper when I bought from my buddy, but he never really knew the strain or the percentage outside of "this s###'s goooood" or "this stuff is ok".

Now I can pick and choose like I'm in a liquor store. I know that whiskey makes me do dumb things like try to fight a mailbox, whereas rum is just a nice evening mix. The Sour Tangie that I've discovered at the cannabis shop is my perfect hoot for now. No more questions about whether I'm going to sink into my couch, or whether I'll be too baked to answer an important call that comes later in the evening.

One day I'll probably whine that they keep jacking the sin taxes, but I'm currently happy that at least the federal government did something right, for both themselves and the populace.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #1280
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d say the government got it ‘mostly right’. There’s still a lot of people that buy from MOMs and that’s business the government could be getting. I’m sure this will start changing over time but for now that’s a miss.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote