Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #101
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, it depends; if you have a bowie knife (or an axe, or something that can quickly and cleanly administer a coup de gras) in your car you could make it pretty quick and non-traumatic, at least for the animal.
The comment was in regards to the snowbrush story, obviously. If you are able and have the knowhow to end the animal's life with a knife, by all means.

I guess i think about it like, were I dying in a ditch, would I want to wait there in my current, non-screaming anguish, for a couple hours, potentially dying in that time, to have someone come and put a bullet in my head? Or would I want to die in the next 5-15 minutes enduring unimaginable torture while some unknown creature hacks at me mercilessly with an object barely equipped to to remove ice from a windshield?

I think I'll take the former personally.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #102
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm, a lot going on with this one.

A dispatcher didn't tell him what to do, one way or another. We don't have that kind of authority over the officer. We send them out, and how they handle the particulars of their job is their business according to their protocols. No dispatcher will be telling an officer how to do their job, or if they are, there's a bigger problem. The officer can ask for the dispatchers advice, but they are under no obligation to follow that, either.

When this happens in Calgary (and it does more often than you think) the officer just uses their sidearm. I've sent out about a dozen of these calls so far (the most recent was just last week, as it happens) and the sidearm is always used.

Personally, that was hard to watch, and it seems to me that there MUST have been a better way to end that animals suffering. I admit that while I have used guns before, I am no expert in their use by any means, and have read that perhaps the officer was worried about the high potential of a ricochet due to a bullet hitting concrete after going through the animal. I have no idea how legit that concern or issue is, and certainly couldn't speak on it. Even if that is the case, and that is a legit worry, there has to a better way.

If absolutely nothing else, this was a bad decision from a public optics perspective, and should have been considered along that line by the officer as well.

I'm going to be interested in the ASIRT report on this one.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does he get to memorialize the kill by putting the silhouette of a Deer on the side of his squad car like fighter pilots do?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #104
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Hm, a lot going on with this one.

A dispatcher didn't tell him what to do, one way or another. We don't have that kind of authority over the officer. We send them out, and how they handle the particulars of their job is their business according to their protocols. No dispatcher will be telling an officer how to do their job, or if they are, there's a bigger problem. The officer can ask for the dispatchers advice, but they are under no obligation to follow that, either.

When this happens in Calgary (and it does more often than you think) the officer just uses their sidearm. I've sent out about a dozen of these calls so far (the most recent was just last week, as it happens) and the sidearm is always used.

Personally, that was hard to watch, and it seems to me that there MUST have been a better way to end that animals suffering. I admit that while I have used guns before, I am no expert in their use by any means, and have read that perhaps the officer was worried about the high potential of a ricochet due to a bullet hitting concrete after going through the animal. I have no idea how legit that concern or issue is, and certainly couldn't speak on it. Even if that is the case, and that is a legit worry, there has to a better way.

If absolutely nothing else, this was a bad decision from a public optics perspective, and should have been considered along that line by the officer as well.

I'm going to be interested in the ASIRT report on this one.

What would a dispatcher’s advice be if it was a regular citizen who called in? I know it’s not 9-11 level stuff, but would they advise to kill the deer, or send an officer or somebody?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #105
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What would a dispatcher’s advice be if it was a regular citizen who called in? I know it’s not 9-11 level stuff, but would they advise to kill the deer, or send an officer or somebody?
Unfortunately they're gonna send someone. Not likely they'd encourage an average citizen to attempt to euthanize a wild animal. Danger and liability and stuff.

Unless Huntingwhale calls. Then they're going to insist he beat the animal to death with a small plastic utensil. While filming the incident. STOP CRYING OR I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT!!!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #106
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Unfortunately they're gonna send someone. Not likely they'd encourage an average citizen to attempt to euthanize a wild animal. Danger and liability and stuff.
^

In Calgary, you'd be advised to leave it be, and an officer would be sent out as soon as possible (the response time for this is pretty quick, it's a humane thing to do) as citizens could also get in trouble for discharging a firearm inside city limits on top of what Cecil mentioned.

Outside of Calgary, I'm told that the RCMP will either advise you to leave it alone and they'll have someone come and deal with it, or to contact Fish and Wildlife to have them attend.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #107
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
^

In Calgary, you'd be advised to leave it be, and an officer would be sent out as soon as possible (the response time for this is pretty quick, it's a humane thing to do) as citizens could also get in trouble for discharging a firearm inside city limits on top of what Cecil mentioned.

Outside of Calgary, I'm told that the RCMP will either advise you to leave it alone and they'll have someone come and deal with it, or to contact Fish and Wildlife to have them attend.

If you report it do you get to take it home and eat it after the coup de grace? if not the hell with that!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #108
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Not that I doubt the story, but kicking the thing would have been quicker than a snow brush. What do they weigh, half a pound?

The deer probably just pretended to be dead to stop the beatings from the snow brush. I now can’t help but imagine people trying to use everyday objects to euthanize animals, maybe taking turns with a spatula to try to finish off some poor animal.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #109
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
That’s one way to tenderize.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 AM   #110
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
LOL no reason to lie about beating a deer to death with a snow brush for my own sick pleasure . If you really want I can give you his cell number to confirm with him.
I’m sorry, but have you considered your friend is secretly a psychopath with a cover story for why he beat a deer to death? There is no way in hell any person would determine a very long, torturous beating is a merciful death. Unless they’re a ####ing physcopath.
I wish I was joking, but if there’s an ounce of truth to what he says, my god.

Newsflash, repeatedly beating something to death is the opposite of a coup de grace.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #111
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m sorry, but have you considered your friend is secretly a psychopath with a cover story for why he beat a deer to death? There is no way in hell any person would determine a very long, torturous beating is a merciful death. Unless they’re a ####ing physcopath.
I wish I was joking, but if there’s an ounce of truth to what he says, my god.

Newsflash, repeatedly beating something to death is the opposite of a coup de grace.
If you found an animal that's mortally wounded and suffering on the road and there's no help in any direction, would you leave the animal to suffer? would you try to put it out of it's misery any way possible?

it's a tough moral spot to be in
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 AM   #112
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you report it do you get to take it home and eat it after the coup de grace? if not the hell with that!!
To the best of my knowledge, post-euthanization, the carcass is taken by 311 to the Shepard Landfill. Apparently there's a special disposal location there for them.

But I'm not 100% certain. Honestly, after CPS (or F&W) take care of the humane business, 311 is contacted for cleanup and disposal. What they do/how they do it is based on their policies.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 01-11-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #113
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know that most provinces have a law on the books that if you hit a deer with a vehicle (i.e. roadkill) you can call F&W, and if they confirm that it was an accident you can request to keep the meat, rather than it go to waste. That's assuming that there's edible and safe meat left. For obvious reasons they want to make sure that guys are shooting deer without a tag and out of season and saying that they hit it on a road, etc. (i.e. poaching).
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #114
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If you found an animal that's mortally wounded and suffering on the road and there's no help in any direction, would you leave the animal to suffer? would you try to put it out of it's misery any way possible?

it's a tough moral spot to be in
Yes. If I had something more effective and humane than a car tire or a snow brush.

Picture two men taking turns beating a wounded animal to death...with a snow brush. The absurdity cripples my mind.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #115
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, it depends; if you have a bowie knife (or an axe, or something that can quickly and cleanly administer a coup de grace) in your car you could make it pretty quick and non-traumatic, at least for the animal.

Would you slit its throat or??
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #116
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Would you slit its throat or??
No, beat it with the handle.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #117
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooo....lets play a game, its called:

"How would you Euthanize an injured Deer with just whats in your car?"

I'll go first.

I'm ashamed to admit that I dont have a proper Roadside Emergency kit in my car. Off the top of my head I have:

- Snow Brush (of course)
- Spare Tire (and accompanying accouterments)
- Matches
- Gloves (wool)
- Blanket (wool)
- Chloroform and Duct Tape
- 1 Bottle Windshield Washer fluid (All-Season)
- 1 Bottle Radiator Fluid (Pre-Mixed)
- 2 Calgary Flames Car Flags
- Booster Cables
- Toque

So the scenario is that I've winged a Deer and its injured by the roadside and cant move. Its going to die eventually, I'm trying to be a good child of Mother Gaia and to put one of her creatures to rest as humanely as possible.

The car flags and snowbrush dont seem ideal. The tire iron is one of those 'X' types so you cant get a real good swing and theres not much force or weight behind it.

So far its looking like building some sort of pyre out of my gloves, blanket and toque and using the booster cables to drag the Deer onto it and setting it ablaze is my best bet.

Or tying the blanket to the car-jack somehow to create some sort of swingable weapon...that jack has some nice weight to it.

Or perhaps strangling it to death using the Booster Cables?

But what I wouldnt do is drive my car at it for a quarter of an hour like an idiot...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #118
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably not possible to say, but how long would a deer survive if you just left it alone? Is it really worth torturing the poor animal for however long if it's going to expire without any intervention a short time later?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #119
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing to keep in mind in this whole conversation, is yes, the deer probably would have suffered a bit longer and just expired on its own if left alone.

Which is more humane? I can't say for sure, but running it over and making it scream is not on the list of humane actions. Worst case scenario is leave it alone.

"Nature is metal" as they say. In the wild the animals get eaten ass-end first by wolves while they're still alive. Let's keep it in perspective. Leaving it alone to take it's last breath would have been much better IMO than trying to kill it by running it over back and forth with a vehicle. What a dummy.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #120
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sooo....lets play a game, its called:

"How would you Euthanize an injured Deer with just whats in your car?"

I'll go first.

I'm ashamed to admit that I dont have a proper Roadside Emergency kit in my car. Off the top of my head I have:

- Snow Brush (of course)
- Spare Tire (and accompanying accouterments)
- Matches
- Gloves (wool)
- Blanket (wool)
- Chloroform and Duct Tape
- 1 Bottle Windshield Washer fluid (All-Season)
- 1 Bottle Radiator Fluid (Pre-Mixed)
- 2 Calgary Flames Car Flags
- Booster Cables
- Toque

So the scenario is that I've winged a Deer and its injured by the roadside and cant move. Its going to die eventually, I'm trying to be a good child of Mother Gaia and to put one of her creatures to rest as humanely as possible.

The car flags and snowbrush dont seem ideal. The tire iron is one of those 'X' types so you cant get a real good swing and theres not much force or weight behind it.

So far its looking like building some sort of pyre out of my gloves, blanket and toque and using the booster cables to drag the Deer onto it and setting it ablaze is my best bet.

Or tying the blanket to the car-jack somehow to create some sort of swingable weapon...that jack has some nice weight to it.

Or perhaps strangling it to death using the Booster Cables?

But what I wouldnt do is drive my car at it for a quarter of an hour like an idiot...
How about hooking the deer up to your car battery?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote