Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #421
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Guess we can pretty much put the Cowboys in the playoffs as the class of that piece of crap division.
The worst thing about the NFC East being bad is how much primetime games the division gets. There was a good streak of quality primetime games this season until the Eagles showed up to lay an egg. It wasn't just the bad football but all the penalties they took as the lack of discipline was appalling. This is probably the result of a very green coaching staff and hopefully they will get the time to work out the kinks but that was hard to watch.

I hear Dak Prescott suffered a season ending injury last season and a year later is healthy and playing. If that was the first NFL broadcast you have ever watched you would think this is an extremely rare occurrence in the NFL where a player returns after suffering a season ending injury the year before. It was hard to listen to all the drooling over this rare and remarkable comeback.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #422
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The worst thing about the NFC East being bad is how much primetime games the division gets. There was a good streak of quality primetime games this season until the Eagles showed up to lay an egg. It wasn't just the bad football but all the penalties they took as the lack of discipline was appalling. This is probably the result of a very green coaching staff and hopefully they will get the time to work out the kinks but that was hard to watch.

I hear Dak Prescott suffered a season ending injury last season and a year later is healthy and playing. If that was the first NFL broadcast you have ever watched you would think this is an extremely rare occurrence in the NFL where a player returns after suffering a season ending injury the year before. It was hard to listen to all the drooling over this rare and remarkable comeback.
I only watched the 4th quarter, and that was enough Cowboy talk to last 5 seasons for me. Holy **** was that bad. I want to know how much of a bonus they received for every sentence that had to do with that team.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #423
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is the NFC East is such a poo division the Cowboys are basically a lock to win that division for years to come, so get used to the slurping (as if we all aren't already used to it?!?!?!?). Good news is we all get the last laugh come playoff time.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #424
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I don't know if it's much worse than the AFC East. Buffalo is a legitimate contender, but the other 3 teams in that Division are NFC East-ish. The AFC East teams don't get as much prime time air likely due to it being a bunch of former second rate AFL Teams. The NFC East is a Division that features some larger rich markets and longer established teams.

The AFC South is as bad if not worse, and the AFC East is only better because of the Bills. Even the NFC North is pretty much Green Bay, a middling Vikings team and two horrible teams in Detroit and Chicago.

The two NFC West Division games this weekend would look to be the two best games on the docket, and the Raiders at Chargers is also an interesting matchup especially since the Raiders probably will get the best home field advantage there is to be gained in L.A.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #425
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The AFL merged over 50 years ago. I don't think too many people consider those teams not being long-established?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #426
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love to see all the hate towards my Cowboys. Keep it coming! Haha.

I think the Cowboys are legitimately a good team, provided the defense continues to be above average. The offense has been consistently good over the past few years, but D always bottom 5. A good team in a really bad division in my opinion.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #427
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we love Cowboy fans thinking title in the regular season, makes the inevitable choke even more hilarious.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #428
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is the NFC East is such a poo division the Cowboys are basically a lock to win that division for years to come, so get used to the slurping (as if we all aren't already used to it?!?!?!?). Good news is we all get the last laugh come playoff time.
Lol. There hasn't been a repeat division winner in the NFC East in over a decade. Cowboys have the inside track this year, but there's nothing in their recent history to suggest they'll sustain it into next year.

Eagles and Giants both have a pile of draft capital next year, so there's at least some optimism that they can maybe improve, although it's far from a guarantee as long as Roseman and Gettleman are running things.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #429
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean the Cowboys would be on two in a row if Dak doesn't get hurt last year. The current NFC East is definitely one of the worst divisions in sports history and none of the other three teams are particularly close to being an average team, let alone a good one. I do expect all three to be all in on Deshaun, so getting him would be a game changer. Short of that the Cowboys have a free run for a few years.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #430
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean the Cowboys would be on two in a row if Dak doesn't get hurt last year. The current NFC East is definitely one of the worst divisions in sports history and none of the other three teams are particularly close to being an average team, let alone a good one. I do expect all three to be all in on Deshaun, so getting him would be a game changer. Short of that the Cowboys have a free run for a few years.
Theoretically, Watson and Wilson could be added to the division next year. I want no part of Watson on the Eagles, but it's possible.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #431
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And we love Cowboy fans thinking title in the regular season, makes the inevitable choke even more hilarious.
We dem Boyz.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #432
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite tidbit in this is Bill O'Brien trying to get himself fired from the Texans. If only they knew what a favor he was trying to do for them...

Quote:
"Brady was tired of taking team-friendly deals with no input into how the money saved was spent -- and still wanted a long-term contractual commitment," Wickersham writes. "Belichick told associates that every organizational decision now was in support of Brady, geared toward pleasing him and making him successful -- and that Kraft meddled with the team, sometimes with opinions, sometimes with restrictive budgets.

"As for Kraft, in late September, he was in Aspen [Colorado] for a conference and bumped into a few friends in the hotel lobby early one morning. He told them he was leaving later for Detroit, where the Patriots were playing their next game. 'I hate leaving here,' Kraft said. 'You leave here and you leave some of the most brilliant people you've ever met. You pick up so much knowledge from all these brilliant minds. And I have to go to Detroit to be with the biggest f-----ng a--hole in my life -- my head coach.' "

"Bill was an idiot savant," Kraft told a confidant, according to the book, alluding to Belichick's reputation before he hired the former Cleveland Browns coach in 2000. "I gave him this opportunity."
Quote:
Ultimately, according to the book, Kraft, Brady and a few others discussed scenarios about who would replace Belichick. If offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels left after the season to be a head coach elsewhere, New England could hire O'Brien and he could perhaps one day succeed Belichick.

"The plan was fanciful," Wickersham writes, "but O'Brien heard about it. He was in a power struggle of his own in Houston, fighting with general manager Rick Smith, a 'dysfunctional' and 'toxic' situation, according to the Houston Chronicle. The leaks from O'Brien's camp, claiming he wanted out, were so aggressive as to be suspicious, as if he knew he had a golden parachute. In the end, though, the [Texans] chose O'Brien over Smith, giving the coach more control over football operations. O'Brien later joked to a confidant that it was a somewhat empty victory. 'I was trying to get fired,' he said."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...bill-belichick
Old 09-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #433
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a great look for Robert Kraft. Sure he gave Belichick the opportunity but Bill's the reason he owns super bowl rings.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #434
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1443259250617225218
Old 09-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #435
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I imagine Nagy and Pace will be shown the door at the end of the season. A season too late of course. They spent a lot of draft capital to move up to take Fields and it never made sense to me that the owner would feel comfortable having the guy that couldn't develop Trubisky try to develop another young QB.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #436
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, the fact they are protecting Fields (and based off last week I assume that's what they are doing) kinda suggests they will be back next year. If they had no assurances they'd go full DGAF and feed him to the wolves. If they are coming back makes more sense to protect Fields.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #437
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is sure looking like a horrible hire so far. Although when no one wants to work with your GM, you kind of have to take what you can get.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1443270343720849414
Old 09-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #438
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he looks a little overmatched. Sometimes it works out when you hire a young coordinator to be HC but a lot of them aren't head coach material. I was sure LaFleur would fail in Green Bay because I felt like he was a mediocre OC but I feel sometimes it's got less to do with how good of a coordinator they are and more if they have the management and people skills to get the coaches and players on the same page. Tomlin (one year DC) and John Harbaugh (special teams coach) were under the radar hires that worked out so you hope a guy like Sirianni would have those qualities. So far not very encouraging.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #439
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah he looks a little overmatched. Sometimes it works out when you hire a young coordinator to be HC but a lot of them aren't head coach material. I was sure LaFleur would fail in Green Bay because I felt like he was a mediocre OC but I feel sometimes it's got less to do with how good of a coordinator they are and more if they have the management and people skills to get the coaches and players on the same page. Tomlin (one year DC) and John Harbaugh (special teams coach) were under the radar hires that worked out so you hope a guy like Sirianni would have those qualities. So far not very encouraging.
Feels like he has the people skills. The players really like the guy, but he also seems to be a poor game-manager and play-caller. Maybe he grows into those roles a bit more or learns to lean on his staff a bit more, but I'm really not seeing any evidence of that so far.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #440
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Feels like he has the people skills. The players really like the guy, but he also seems to be a poor game-manager and play-caller. Maybe he grows into those roles a bit more or learns to lean on his staff a bit more, but I'm really not seeing any evidence of that so far.
Hurts is kind of work in progress so IMO the year should have been treated as a rebuilding season anyway. Maybe Sirianni takes his lumps and is better for it by the end of the season. I don't know if it's elite talent but they are accumulating some young talent on offense so maybe things gel over the course of the season. It does suck to be a fan of a team when the GM is no good.