Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Examining Current Top 20 Scorer "Value"

This has been an incredibly long and boring break. I was just curious about the concept of value - particularly points per $mil AAV of the top 20 scorers in the league. I wanted to see how the Flames players stacked up. I thought it might be an interesting jumping-off point to discuss how team success correlates with dollar value.

This only takes into account the current player AAV - of course we'll see a lot of these numbers decrease as players get re-signed, or new contracts kick in.

Including ELCs:
Spoiler!

Not including ELCs:
Spoiler!

Some teams that jump out of this are Tampa, Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Boston. It's quite incredible how far ahead both Point and Kucherov are in their respective groups - really tells a part of the story of why Tampa is dominating right now.

Last edited by Isikiz; 01-31-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Isikiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Isikiz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
This has been an incredibly long and boring break.

This whole week and a half off thing is crazy!!!

5 days off (on top of all-star crap) in the middle of the season - what a dumb idea!!!

Nice work on those numbers. Thanks!
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2nd in the league and the only riveting hockey content/articles on the Flames are coming from Toronto and New York in the 9 days.

I guess all the hometown media guys are on vacation too. Thankfully its over tomorrow but damn. Quiet as hell given the season they're having.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a small fear that the break will affect the team. Probably has a lot to do with last year when we went into the All Star break unbeatable and came out of it like crap. This seems like a completely different team so I'm not that concerned but it has been a really long break. Hopefully the team can pick up where they left off or at least get back there sooner than later.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you were to compare those to average ice time it would really show the 'bang for the buck'.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does this mean Crosby and Kane have offered poor value to their teams?

I think their Stanley Cup rings suggest this isn't the case.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post

No, it doesn't mean that at all.
It simply shows the points per million in earnings for the top 20 scorers, and is what someone thought was interesting, and could be indicative of why certain teams are doing really well right now, by having certain players undervalued for their production.

If you took the Hawks and Pens during their peak cup years, maybe they would be more present...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting.
Be somewhat more interested in the opposite. These are the contracts that kill teams. Too hard to do league wide, but
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

It does make me wonder how to value high end players. McDavid is ‘the best player in world’ - I don’t agree but to be fair his peers do - therefore he is paid a hefty premium. Now value can’t be measured by looking at his stats alone, but what is his real worth? I doubt you could trade anyone else on the list for him (maybe Sid) without adding +++ but would it be worth it?

I’m not specifically picking on McDavid. How much of a premium would a team pay for Crosby over another top 10C? It feels like salaries and trade value skew at the high end. Lindros was a great player but that return was insanely good.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post

Nah, it's purely just an examination of how valuable players have been to their respective teams in terms of point production, up to this point during this specific (2018-2019) season.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #11
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't think that we have to worry about the Flame's play dropping off like last year.
Injuries aside, Treliving changed out 3/5 coaches and 9/23 of the starting roster from last season.
It's a much different team, so I doubt that they drop off much at all.
Actually, I really wouldn't be surprised if they continued their good play all season long.

The playoffs may be another matter, as there is not a lot of playoff experience on this team. They may have to lose during a deep run this year (WCF?), before they are ready to win it all next season.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Examining Current Top 20 Scorer "Value"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
This has been an incredibly long and boring break. I was just curious about the concept of value - particularly points per $mil AAV of the top 20 scorers in the league. I wanted to see how the Flames players stacked up. I thought it might be an interesting jumping-off point to discuss how team success correlates with dollar value.

This only takes into account the current player AAV - of course we'll see a lot of these numbers decrease as players get re-signed, or new contracts kick in.

Including ELCs:
Spoiler!

Not including ELCs:
Spoiler!

Some teams that jump out of this are Tampa, Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Boston. It's quite incredible how far ahead both Point and Kucherov are in their respective groups - really tells a part of the story of why Tampa is dominating right now.
Awesome work. However, I feel it is important to point out that while Kucherov’s production is a bargain for TB now, he has a +$9 m extension kicking in next season which will drop his pts/m$ quite dramatically. The awesome thing to be emphasised for the Flames is the duration of cost control they retain for three of their top players beyond next year.

*EDIT* BTW, your signature is incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-31-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really fortunate for Calgary that Treliving has been so good at re-signing existing players. Also, the entire scouting and development side of the business need more accolades for the job that they have been doing drafting these players - Tkachuk's performance on his ELC really helps this team perform.

That's the entire trick with the cap system - if you have more players that outperform their contracts than players that underperform, you should be in good shape, as long as the underperforming players don't have too high of a hit. Neal hurts this team compared to his cap hit, but the Flames can carry that right now without an issue. In fact, they are also carrying a very expensive insurance policy as the 7th (or 8th) defencemen in Michael Stone, who is usually a lower tier #4 defencemen. They can also carry a #4 center who is incredibly strong on draws, but is overpaid for the offence he provides.

Flames are a good looking team top-to-bottom. I haven't had this much faith in the organization from to bottom (players, coaching, management, scouting, development) since the late 80's.

Interesting graph to see. I wonder if you go back through the years, that if you don't see teams with a number of players exceeding their cap hit play winning the cup more often than not since the cap was implemented.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote