Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #461
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sylvanlakenews.com/news/...medium=twitter

Closer to home.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #462
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The victim's response to the racist tirade directed at him:
Quote:
“That is Canada. That is on this country,” he said. “My statement that I hate Canada is not racist. Canada is not a race. It is not a statement that I hate white people. The statement is that I hate Canada, because I do. Canada really sucks.

“I didn’t start anything. I shook my head at a really stupid thing that a guy said and this is how I am treated.”
The guy's original statement that was really stupid and that he shook his head at, leading to this altercation:
Quote:
According to Running Coyote’s account on Facebook, following rehearsal, he went to a restaurant and a news story came on the television regarding charges being dropped against an Alberta rancher in an incident in Okotoks where a man was shot in the arm after trespassing.

A man — who Running Coyote described as Caucasian, wearing a black cap and sunglasses – walked out of the bathroom area with his female partner, looking at the screen and said, “This is a victory for Canada. If someone comes on to my property now, I’ll f**g shoot em’ dead.”
Now, do you think that perhaps - just possibly - this isn't a result of Canada teaching people to be racist, but rather an instance of someone being a complete a-hole in general and also racist? It's not really that surprising that those two character traits might overlap?

You've got a guy here who just reveled in the death of a trespasser and suggested in public that he'd like to murder someone if given the opportunity. Citing that as a demonstration of a national attitude racism towards indigenous peoples that leads you to hate the whole country seems to me to be a bit of a stretch.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #463
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Now, do you think that perhaps - just possibly - this isn't a result of Canada teaching people to be racist, but rather an instance of someone being a complete a-hole in general and also racist? It's not really that surprising that those two character traits might overlap?

You've got a guy here who just reveled in the death of a trespasser and suggested in public that he'd like to murder someone if given the opportunity. Citing that as a demonstration of a national attitude racism towards indigenous peoples that leads you to hate the whole country seems to me to be a bit of a stretch.
It's even more of a stretch because the guy who got hit by a ricochet outside Okotoks was white.

I'd say that people not speaking up wasn't a demonstration of people not standing up for him, but a case of people ignoring an idiot. And while he certainly didn't start the whole encounter, he had no issue engaging and escalating the situation. It also seems pretty clear he was willing to start a fight with the guy who was running his mouth.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #464
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what place it was. I was out at a few different places on Gaetz ave on friday night.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #465
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think his statement that in Canada it's okay to be racist against First Nations is a pretty reasonable one. How many times have you had relatives or co-workers start a phrase I'm not racist but and then say something completely racist

Or the initial reaction to the death and evacuation on the reserve being I bet it was a drug house. Is very casual prejudice that immediately assumes the worst. We had the Police murdering Native people in the last 25 years.

The level of racism in the Prarie provinces is like the Deep South.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #466
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of people feel they have a right to defend their family and their property from criminals. This isn't new nor is it inherently racist. You can certainly disagree with the verdict, but if you're going to stare someone down and shake your head because they have a vocal opinion that differs from your own, you're going to get into a confrontation more often than not regardless of race. And depending on who you are and your beliefs, maybe it's worth it. But don't expect people to come to your defense (in a verbal argument) as to most people it will simply appear as two people looking for an argument. If that wasn't the case, no one would ever be able to leave the McDonalds downtown given all the arguments that happen there. It's just easier to enjoy your meal and let the #######s yell at each other instead of getting involved (and possibly injured).

In this situation, according to Mr. Running Coyote, the person he decided to confront with his headshake ended up being a racist. And that's obviously too bad, but again, I don't know why he is expecting anyone to come to his defense.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #467
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd assume that his comments stem from a collection of negative and racist experiences he's had throughout his time in Canada rather than from this single incident.

To me, this feels like a situation where someone who has experienced similar repeated incidents of racism directed towards them would more readily understand his state of mind and comments VS someone who hasn't.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #468
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/go-back...-bus-1.3988517

Another incident where someone feels the need to ask people to speak only in English. I'll never understand why this upsets some English only speakers so much. I just came back from a trip overseas with friends and can't even imagine someone in Bangkok or Seoul going off on us for speaking English to each other on their subway system or saying, "this is Thailand, speak Thai" lol.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #469
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder name removed from prestigious literary award.

Quote:
"Changing the name of the award, or ending the award and establishing a new award, does not prohibit access to Wilder's works or suppress discussion about them. Neither option asks or demands that anyone stop reading Wilder's books, talking about them, or making them available to children. These recommendations do not amount to censorship, nor do they undermine intellectual freedom," a lengthy statement from the ALSC's board reads.

"Yet perceptions matter, along with the very real pain associated with her works for some, and year after year ALSC gives the impression of upholding Wilder's works through an award that bears her name."
The discourse that follows anything like this is not the least bit valuable. The statement above is a perfect stance from the ALA, in my opinion.

No one is rewriting history here.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/us/la...rnd/index.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #470
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never read the books. Is the issue that period characters are presented as blatantly racist, while not also being presented as evil villains? That's what the article makes it sound like - "these characters say racist things". Well, isn't that a product of setting?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #471
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've never read the books. Is the issue that period characters are presented as blatantly racist, while not also being presented as evil villains? That's what the article makes it sound like - "these characters say racist things". Well, isn't that a product of setting?
Yup. Exactly a product of setting.
The quote they used to illustrate was something like 'They were no people there. Only Indians'.

The statement (and removal of name going forward) from the ALA does nothing to diminish the body of work, from a literary perspective. IMO
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #472
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'd assume that his comments stem from a collection of negative and racist experiences he's had throughout his time in Canada rather than from this single incident.

To me, this feels like a situation where someone who has experienced similar repeated incidents of racism directed towards them would more readily understand his state of mind and comments VS someone who hasn't.
I'm not judging the guy for sticking up for himself or his principles. I just don't agree with him that this was a reasonable situation where he should have expected people to come to defend him in any form. From the point of view of the other patrons, this was likely just two jerks getting into a confrontation at McDonald's while they tried to eat and avoid getting into the middle of it.

Even in his own story of the events, he went out of his way to confront this man three separate ways.

First he made a point to let the ###### know that he disagreed with his views regarding the charges being dropped. This was not really due to any racist motivation at the time, it's a controversial subject and he saw the guy and wanted to let him know he disagreed because he had a "####ing stupid opinion". When you knowingly disagree with a ######, it's going to end up into an argument more often than not.

Then, according to Mr. Running Coyote himself, he got up and out of his seat to confront the man who had now gone to the line because of a racial slur. But again, to the patrons at this point it's just two guys yelling obscenities at one another. When Mr. Running Coyote had just run up to the ###### and starts saying "say it to my face ####er" how do you really expect some bystander to respond? "Yes, this guy makes a good point, do call him an Indian to his face." I mean, maybe someone who witnessed the entire exchange would at best have been able to say something like "look, this guy's a ###### don't let him get to you and enjoy your meal" but, again, I think he overestimates people's perception skills. To them, it's just two loud mouths at the time.

And then, when everything had settled down apparently, he goes out into the parking front to continue to confront the ###### and his partner who had left. I mean, I think at this point the most reasonable expectation for a bystander is to stay out of something where a man is following another man into the parking lot. If anything, Mr. Running Coyote, (if it wasn't already the case) would now very much appear to be the aggressor. One guy is leaving the situation and the other is following him and who knows what else is going to escalate. At that point you can't really blame management for wanting him removed.

Again, if he felt the need to stand up for his beliefs and himself, all the power to him. But he shouldn't be expecting the restaurant patrons to follow him into the parking lot to confront the guy.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 AM   #473
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When will racism stop?

Last edited by Kybb79; 06-27-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #474
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unlike driving while black, walking while black, etc. We at least still have yet to see someone shot for Firefighting While Black

https://twitter.com/user/status/1011064647527608322

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #475
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who's Trying to Destroy Negro League Landmarks in Kansas City?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...in-kansas-city

Quote:
Since its founding in 1990, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City, Missouri, hadn't had any serious issues with vandalism—until last week, when its Buck O'Neil Education and Research Center was flooded after a water line on the second floor was cut and the water was turned on, dousing not just the second floor, but the first floor and basement as well.

One month prior, another Kansas City Negro Leagues landmark faced a similarly catastrophic crime: A suspected arsonist set the home of pitching legend Satchel Paige on fire in late May, leaving potentially irreparable damage. Both cases were far more serious than the graffiti tagging that typically plagues out-of-use buildings.

At the O'Neil Center, the museum staff responded to a series of alerts from the fire alarm panel early Friday morning, only to find water gushing down stairwells and seeping through ceilings, causing significant damage to a renovation that had begun in 2011 and was about a year from completion. The building's first floor—the area most damaged by the flooding—was just months from opening to the public.

"There has been a community investment in this project that goes beyond finance," says Negro Leagues Baseball Museum President Bob Kendrick of the renovation that so far has cost $4 million. "This was an investment of sweat equity. When we first started cleaning the building up, ordinary people from the community would come in, put their boots on and start gathering debris. A lot of people in Kansas City are hurting right alongside the Negro Leagues Museum, as we think about this very heinous attempt to damage the center."

"Why?" is the question that remains for police, and for the Kansas City community. Neither event is being investigated as a hate crime, partially because of the lack of evidence. "Break-ins are very difficult, absent a witness, surveillance footage or physical evidence," says Becchina, which is the case in both the Buck O'Neil Center and Paige house cases. Those with any information are urged to contact the Kansas City Police Department.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #476
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey it happened again. What a shocker.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1012588488049483776

Quote:
Old 06-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #477
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The level of racism in the Prarie provinces is like the Deep South.
Ha ha ha ha. No. Not even close. Have you been to the deep south or conversed with people from there? I have.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #478
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's about the same, the difference is the targets of racism (Natives in AB) are segregated and of a lower population size than the targets in the south.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #479
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we pretending that reservations and racial segregation in the south are the same things now?

I think most Canadians would do away with reservations tomorrow if they could, while a lot of southern americans would love racial segregation again.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #480
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm saying there is less proximity in Canada (also due to geography and population density) so the general disdain for Natives in Alberta has less chance to manifest itself and isn't top of mind on the day to day, unlike say the exposure level the average Texan or Arizonian would have.

Quote: