Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #401
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I simply asked you for some substantiation that supports your stance that the RCMP, and by extension the government, treats murders of FN women as something less than that of non-FN women.

You hvaen't been able to and have just reverted to saying that because the facts don't support the narrative you want to advance, those who put any sort of credence in those facts must be racist. The only argument you have provided against the statistics is "the RCMP and the government hate FN people". If there is an actual study showing that the StatsCan and CPIC data is wrong, I'd love to read it.

- The solve rate for the murders of native women is IDENTICAL to the solve rate of non-FN women
- In 2015 (the year of the RCMP report), about 10% of people listed as missing were native FN. The RCMP also showed year over year progress in clearing cases of missing FN women
- When the murder of a FN women is solved, the killer is known to the victim in 100% of cases

If the RCMP didn't care about FN people, then these stats would be much different. At the same time, if the stats were reversed and they only cleared 18% of murders, you'd be clinging to the stats and using them as proof of the government's indifference.
Your throwing made up numbers by your Goverment to make the UN backoff. Your numbers mean nothing to Native people. You talk as if you know how great the RCMP is to Native People? Tell me your personal stories? You can take you corsi like numbers and shove them. You have no first hand experience on this subject. If you do tell me then i will tell you my stories?

Last edited by Kybb79; 06-03-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #402
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we are going to use anecdotal evidence instead of stats then you're going to miss the point plus not like how it turns out for you.

When is the last time you strolled through Galt Gardens?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #403
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
Canadian tennis player Francoise Abanda says she will never get the same recognition as Eugenie Bouchard because she is black.

Linky

True? False?

Abanda is currently ranked 128
Bouchard is currently ranked 133 but was ranked as high as 5 at one point.
So Serena is asked these questions even though she has 23 grand slam singles titles compared to Sharapova's 5.

Serena Williams Was Asked About Being Intimidated by Maria Sharapova's Looks

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/sere...arapovas-looks

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #404
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
So Serena is asked these questions even though she has 23 grand slam singles titles compared to Sharapova's 5.

Serena Williams Was Asked About Being Intimidated by Maria Sharapova's Looks

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/sere...arapovas-looks

not sure what you posted has to do with racism.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #405
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The punching to the head starts at 3:10.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #406
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's disgusting. What's the story?
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #407
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
That's disgusting. What's the story?
The guy was wanted for the very dangerous crimes of disorderly conduct and "hindering" on May 23. The punching started when he was asked to sit on the ground and instead leaned on the wall.

This was clearly a dangerous criminal that needed to be treated in this manner despite being searched and only being armed with a cell phone.

His friend with him the night of the 23rd was also arrested for the equally dangerous crimes of suspicion of disorderly conduct and suspicion of having drug paraphernalia.

Now there was also an ongoing report of a woman in distress that stemmed from that floor of the apartment and this guy was in the area (no idea if he is a suspect or jsut wrong place wrong time). Regardless it was clearly excessive force...especially when you slam a fully zip tied guys head into an elevator door and drag him around the ground etc. Even if you could explain away the punching based on a guy being uncooperative (I don't think you can btw) the rest is not explainable.

This is a department that has a history of excessive force.

One sergeant and 3 officers have been suspended.

edit: the suspect was also charged with domestic violence so perhaps not the nicest guy in the world but that isn't that relevant to the situation at hand and how the cops handled it. This was Mesa Arizona I believe. They recently had a cop acquitted of murder charges after shooting a guy who was on his knees and crying at the time.

Last edited by ernie; 06-06-2018 at 09:02 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #408
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you know where it was?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #409
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. I dunno. Hard for me to have much sympathy for a guy who batters women and resists arrest.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #410
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Resists arrest? Really?

Cops have a god complex in this country. You do as they say, exactly how they say, exactly when they say, and hope they don't murder you anyways. There is zero room for nuance, discussion, compromise, or anything else.

I also have no sympathy for a person who batters women, but that is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. All I see here is 4 armed dudes beating a guy calmly leaning against a wall talking on a cell phone.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #411
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Cops have a god complex in this country. You do as they say, exactly how they say, exactly when they say, and hope they don't murder you anyways.
It's even worse than that as some are intentionally giving conflicting directions. One officer will yell put your hands up and turn around while the other is yelling to get on the ground and a third will tell them to slowly walk towards the officer. Can't comply with them all, so no matter what you're resisting arrest.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #412
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's even worse than that as some are intentionally giving conflicting directions. One officer will yell put your hands up and turn around while the other is yelling to get on the ground and a third will tell them to slowly walk towards the officer. Can't comply with them all, so no matter what you're resisting arrest.
Furthermore, in so many of the videos that get posted, they unnecessarily escalate the intensity of the situation. It goes from people calmly standing around to a bunch of armed dudes screaming at the top of their lungs, cursing, threatening, etc.

And its a wonder why people don't trust the police?!?!?!?!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #413
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's relevant in that it'd be great if more domestic batterers got similar.
That aside, excessive? Sure.
Most cases of excessive force bother me. This doesn't very much.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #414
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Yeah. I dunno. Hard for me to have much sympathy for a guy who batters women and resists arrest.
Allegedly. Innocent until proven guilty.

The good news is, you don't need sympathy to realize that the police shouldn't be escalating a situation unnecessarily. If someone poses no danger and is not trying to escape, there really shouldn't be a reason to use physical force to that extent. I mean, the guy is literally backed into a corner.

Quote:
It's relevant in that it'd be great if more domestic batterers got similar..
Cool, let's make police the judge, jury and executioner and hand out corporal punishment without a trial. That's a very reasonable position and not at all insane.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #415
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The point is he WASN'T resisting arrest. He didn't follow the complete order to sit down instead deciding to casual lean against the wall and talk on his phone. A bit audacious perhaps but the cops had already patted him down, he wasn't going anywhere etc etc. He wasn't resisting. Whether he is guilty now or before of domestic violence or murder or whatever doesn't matter.

In that situation there was no need to use force except for some cops decided to teach him a lesson.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #416
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
The punching to the head starts at 3:10.

What are they putting over his head @ the 19:00 mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #417
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What are they putting over his head @ the 19:00 mark?
My guess it's either a mask to stop him from biting or spitting anyone or it's an exfoliation mask to revitalize and replenish the many effects being a hardened criminal does to ones skin.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #418
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
My guess it's either a mask to stop him from biting or spitting anyone or it's an exfoliation mask to revitalize and replenish the many effects being a hardened criminal does to ones skin.
Its an anti-bruising mask! It's the new phone book!
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 AM   #419
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
If we are going to use anecdotal evidence instead of stats then you're going to miss the point plus not like how it turns out for you.

When is the last time you strolled through Galt Gardens?
You talking to me?
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #420
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's relevant in that it'd be great if more domestic batterers got similar.
That aside, excessive? Sure.
Most cases of excessive force bother me. This doesn't very much.
If the abhorrent abuse of a citizen doesn't bother you and right or wrong you support the police maybe the fact that this is exactly why cops get shot should bother you. This video and thousands more similar to it and thousands more similar situations that go unrecorded make policing a wildly dangerous job. This video will definitely cost someone their life. So enjoy it while you can.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote