Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #381
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #382
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Should we take the word N****** out of Two Kill a Mockingbird?

Was the title integral to the art? I don't think it was in this case but it isn't confederate statues where these titles were designed to offend.
No, neither should be changed. Both for different reasons, but both also because it’s trivial and even the desire to change these things completely ignores any context.

My only point was that changing the title of a painting is not the same as changing the painting, it’s not even in the same sphere. But I see changing the title of a painting as an even less valuable use of effort than trying to change the name of a sports team.

Censoring art, in general, is stupid. But changing the title is both a stupid waste of time, and a stupid thing for people to get upset about.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #383
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pro censorship crowds have always had a tendency to push things as far as they can and each victory just fuels their madness, the first hill is always worth dying on because you'll have to die on one eventually and you don't want them gaining momentum.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #384
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's so weird that our purity/contamination instincts extend to language.
Where's Tipper Gore when you need her?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #385
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Where's Tipper Gore when you need her?
Clutching her pearls with Mike Pence (supervised by Karen, of course).
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #386
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Clutching her pearls with Mike Pence (supervised by Karen, of course).
Is she using her hands?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #387
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Sorry man, you don't get to decide if you're a racist or not. It's like being a jerk. People observe your words and actions and then let you know if you're a jerk. Ditto with racism. Your thoughts, feelings, or rationale for your behavior don't matter at all.

You did and said racist things, ergo you are a racist.
By that same logic I could brand you a creep for stuff you've said on here.

Thoughts feelings or rationale don't matter right?

Last edited by DiracSpike; 05-24-2018 at 08:53 AM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #388
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
By that same logic I could brand you a creep for stuff you've said on here.

Thoughts feelings or rationale don't matter right?
Speaking of dumb hills to die on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #389
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Video shows truly how power hungry that group of police officers were. The world really sucks sometimes.
I am really not OK with the quality of policing in this country. This seems to be absolutely commonplace based on the amount of videos we see where cops escalate the situation because they want to be the tough guy, and then use force that is extremely excessive when someone shows even a sliver of non compliance, and then often file false reports to cover their asses. And the unfortunate part is that its not just the bad apples, but a blue wall of silence where many many more officers are compliant in condoning the behaviors.

The first minute of the interaction pretty much guaranteed what the outcome was going to be when the officer said "I own this area." I think it's the unfortunate side effect of the hero warship that soldiers and law enforcement receive in this country; instead of realizing they are just enforcers of the law, they think they are judge, jury, and all too often literally the executioner.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #390
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I am really not OK with the quality of policing in this country. This seems to be absolutely commonplace based on the amount of videos we see where cops escalate the situation because they want to be the tough guy, and then use force that is extremely excessive when someone shows even a sliver of non compliance, and then often file false reports to cover their asses. And the unfortunate part is that its not just the bad apples, but a blue wall of silence where many many more officers are compliant in condoning the behaviors.

The first minute of the interaction pretty much guaranteed what the outcome was going to be when the officer said "I own this area." I think it's the unfortunate side effect of the hero warship that soldiers and law enforcement receive in this country; instead of realizing they are just enforcers of the law, they think they are judge, jury, and all too often literally the executioner.

Pretty famous case that happened a coupled weeks ago in Toronto that completely destroys your argument. In the Toronto case, the officer had every right to take down the suspect when the suspect was non-compliant and tried to make like he had a gun.

Surely you can be more nuanced in your arguments. Canada is not the American south.

EDIT: Turns out you were actually talking about the American South. Oops.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #391
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
If I could delete the absolutely disgusting and all too common police behavior, I would be fine with one short taze burst for parking horizontally across two handicapped spots. C'mon Man.
It's ####ing 2 a.m. The parking lot is empty. Sure it's not ideal but just tell the dude to move and get on with more important things.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #392
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Pretty famous case that happened a coupled weeks ago in Toronto that completely destroys your argument. In the Toronto case, the officer had every right to take down the suspect when the suspect was non-compliant and tried to make like he had a gun.

Surely you can be more nuanced in your arguments. Canada is not the American south.

EDIT: Turns out you were actually talking about the American South. Oops.
Yeah, my bad. The fact that the Trump thread and the school shooting thread are U.S. based has me lazy on making my disclaimer of location. Since it was an incident here, I didn't even think of clarifying.

And that's not to say false accusations don't happen here. I just saw a story this morning of a woman who claimed a police officer offered to let her off the hook for DUI in exchange for sex. Turns out there was body cam footage showing no such thing had taken place.

I definitely am one for nuance. But I am also getting pretty worn out of watching videos that make my stomach turn. It's similar to our school shooting situation. I would love to have some nuance, but we as Americans insist on maintaining the status quo. So it gets incredibly frustrating and disheartening.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #393
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Self righteous transphobic bigot alert.

Republican candidate films herself lashing out at transgender woman in bathroom

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8357696.html

icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #394
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roseanne is in trouble:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/medi...ton/index.html

Quote:
Roseanne Barr, one of ABC's biggest stars, apologized after a bizarre, racist Twitter rant Tuesday morning, and then announced she's "now leaving Twitter."
ABC had no immediate comment.

Following the rant, one of the show's consulting producers, Wanda Sykes, said she's done with the show.

"I will not be returning to @RoseanneOnABC," Sykes tweeted.
Quote:
Barr is notorious for tweeting about pro-Trump conspiracy theories and other controversial topics. This week she repeatedly attacked prominent Democrats.

In one of the tweets, she wrote, "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj."

Barr was responding to a comment about Valerie Jarrett, a top former aide to President Obama.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #395
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Good to see ABC not letting this slip by.

If I was part of the cast, I would be pissed that she just put a ton of people out of a job after they were just picked up for another season. Show seemed to pull in monster ratings for a revival sitcom this year too.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #396
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Good to see ABC not letting this slip by.

If I was part of the cast, I would be pissed that she just put a ton of people out of a job after they were just picked up for another season. Show seemed to pull in monster ratings for a revival sitcom this year too.

Didn't Galecki's move essentially end Big Bang? Or was it just coincidence.

Barr is an idiot. What good can come from a tweet like that? Just awful. Hopefully we never hear from her again.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #397
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the movement from right-wing Conservatives has shifted what is "acceptable" to some people who support the revolt against the dogmas of political correctness, which is why we're seeing more and more instances like these, where openly racist and to many of us, outrageous statements are becoming much more common.

When there's more and more public support of this movement, more and more individuals are comfortable with coming out of the shadows because they're no longer "alone" in their beliefs.

Kudos to ABC for cancelling the show. This was the highest rated show this year on network TV and a cash cow. Frankly, I'm a little surprised they cancelled it for that reason but I see it almost as a sign of people on the other side deciding to fight back against this Conservative movement.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #398
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ambien-maker Sanofi isn't buying Roseanne Barr's claim that she compared former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett to an ape because she was "ambien tweeting."

"While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication," the French drugmaker posted on Wednesday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/ambi...edication.html
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #399
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The Coupe Challenge Quebec AAA was held May 25 to 27. It included the First Nation Elites Bantam AAA team, made up of players aged 13 and 14, from several Cree, Atikamekw and Algonquin communities in Quebec, as well as from First Nations communities in Ontario and Nova Scotia.

According to several parents, players and Elites manager Tommy H.J. Neeposh, players were called "savages" by at least one coach and a number of spectators.

They were also subjected to opposing players mimicking a stereotypical "war cry" on the ice, and players mocking the motion of a tomahawk as the First Nations players passed them near the dressing room off the ice.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...cism-1.4685720
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #400
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Absolutely disgusting.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: