Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Blues Acquire Marc Staal

To St. Louis:
Marc Staal

To Vancouver:
Michael Chaput
2016 2nd round pick
2016 3rd round pick

-The Blues had one of the NHL's worst defensive corps last season and were looking to improve it via trade since the free agency market doesnt look overly promising.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't like this one at all for the Nucks.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it should be noted that the Nucks inherited a salary cap train wreck and needed to unload a contract
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
I wanna be like Miikka
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unless the Canucks are in cap jail this is a bad trade, would think a first rd pick could be obtained here
I wanna be like Miikka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Yea unless there is a typo here, I am pretty surprised this was approved.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
I think it should be noted that the Nucks inherited a salary cap train wreck and needed to unload a contract
Still it's bad value for them IMO. Chaput is a bottom pairing D and a 2016 2nd and 3rd is not a lot for soneone like Staal. Like Ravi said, Staal should fetch a 1st or at least better futures than 2nd+3rd.

Since Hockey's deals are still reviewed, I'll be very surprised if this one goes through. I'll eat crow if it does
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry, but not a fan of this trade either for the Canucks.

I agree, Staal is worth a 1st rounder and STL currently holds two of them. Easily should have gotten one of those back.

I do see that the Canucks are only $6M below cap with 15 RFA's to sign, but looking at that team, Marc Staal is definitely a young, foundation piece on Defence you either keep or you trade high. Especially as he is 28 and RFA and could be signed to a nice 3 year RFA deal and get a good value on him to prolong signing him as a UFA. Building around Jack Johnson and Matt Carle isn't really the same in my opinion.

As a fellow rookie (who if you want to look back on posts, I got the same responses my first few trades) are you talking to other GM's about your deals? You've traded two elite defencemen in OEL and Staal (with a 3rd round pick) for:

Michael Chaput (3rd round pick of Flyers, limited NHL time)
2016 2nd round pick
2016 3rd round pick
Jaden Schwartz (1st round pick of Blues, solid 2nd line player with 1st line potential)
Anthony DeAngelo (late 1st round pick of Lightning, still in juniors)

I don't think you've gotten fair market value for either trade. Trading two guys like that should make your team stronger and I don't see you've done that at all.

Last edited by Drury18; 05-22-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This trade has yet to be approved by the league. Please wait until after league approval before posting trades.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Rejected!
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Rejected!

And just to balance out defending a Canucks fan:

Old 05-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

weak
Old 05-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Rejected!
Use This gif next time.

Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
I'm sorry, but not a fan of this trade either for the Canucks.

I agree, Staal is worth a 1st rounder and STL currently holds two of them. Easily should have gotten one of those back.

I do see that the Canucks are only $6M below cap with 15 RFA's to sign, but looking at that team, Marc Staal is definitely a young, foundation piece on Defence you either keep or you trade high. Especially as he is 28 and RFA and could be signed to a nice 3 year RFA deal and get a good value on him to prolong signing him as a UFA. Building around Jack Johnson and Matt Carle isn't really the same in my opinion.

As a fellow rookie (who if you want to look back on posts, I got the same responses my first few trades) are you talking to other GM's about your deals? You've traded two elite defencemen in OEL and Staal (with a 3rd round pick) for:

Michael Chaput (3rd round pick of Flyers, limited NHL time)
2016 2nd round pick
2016 3rd round pick
Jaden Schwartz (1st round pick of Blues, solid 2nd line player with 1st line potential)
Anthony DeAngelo (late 1st round pick of Lightning, still in juniors)

I don't think you've gotten fair market value for either trade. Trading two guys like that should make your team stronger and I don't see you've done that at all.
Marc Staal isnt worth a top ten pick, and topp call hi nnn elite is definitely a stretch. He isnt even a top pairing player in New York. I think you're defibition of Elite is pretty broad. You should probably be at least a top 30 defenseman to be considered elite.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #15
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand this being rejected, but I did accept it because like others have said I don't have a lot of cap space and I have lots of RFA's to sign. Also picks were for next year cuz I want have room on my echl roster for this year.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Marc Staal isnt worth a top ten pick, and topp call hi nnn elite is definitely a stretch. He isnt even a top pairing player in New York. I think you're defibition of Elite is pretty broad. You should probably be at least a top 30 defenseman to be considered elite.
No, it's hard to be a top guy behind McDonaugh and Yandle though. I think it's pretty well known that NYR is pretty stacked on defence right now.

There's probably a large number of other teams where he's a top guy. I don't think there's been any stretch about calling Staal an elite guy.

Perhaps he's not worth a first to you, but that doesn't mean that Vancouver should undersell him like he did to you. The deal was not fair market value, it was quantity without quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #17
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying he isnt worth a first but he isnt worth a top ten first which are the only ones I own.
Basically he can move Staal or half his team to retain enough money to keep Crosby and nobody seems to her offering him a way out of that contract. Its pretty obvious why Vancouver accepted this trade
Old 05-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying he isnt worth a first but he isnt worth a top ten first which are the only ones I own.
Basically he can move Staal or half his team to retain enough money to keep Crosby and nobody seems to her offering him a way out of that contract. Its pretty obvious why Vancouver accepted this trade
I guarantee I can give Vancouver materially more for Staal than what was offered in this deal. It is a horrible deal for Vancouver even with cap considerations.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #19
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure you could but its about whether you do. From the looks of it there arent really a ton of teams who can take on 6 million in contract and afford to resign their teams. As you said before cap space is sn asset and that is essentially the biggest piece I'm giving Vancouver, the ability to keep guys on his roster he wants to retain. I think that cap space is a pretty big asset you're looking past
Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #20
JiriHrdina

Exp:

I can easily take on the contract, as can a few other teams. Cap is indeed an asset, but in this case he can still get some good assets back as well.