Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #421
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
If the abhorrent abuse of a citizen doesn't bother you and right or wrong you support the police maybe the fact that this is exactly why cops get shot should bother you. This video and thousands more similar to it and thousands more similar situations that go unrecorded make policing a wildly dangerous job. This video will definitely cost someone their life. So enjoy it while you can.
The officers were suspended, and rightfully so, but not sure how my lack of sympathy for domestic batterers translates into whatever else the above is. But do carry on.
On a related note, I do find your financial aid in support of domestic batterers (Rodman) off putting, but each to their own I guess.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #422
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The officers were suspended, and rightfully so, but not sure how my lack of sympathy for domestic batterers translates into whatever else the above is. But do carry on.
On a related note, I do find your financial aid in support of domestic batterers (Rodman) off putting, but each to their own I guess.

Yep. To each their own for sure. But you at least have to realize that when cops violate people's rights, and domestic abusers do still have rights, it makes life significantly worse for cops who are not total maniacs. The epitome of ignorance is irony. Guys like you that support this sort of abuse are completely clueless as to the consequences. I'll support people who fix their lives any day of the week. But you supporting this has the opposite consequences of your intention.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #423
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

You bet.
Pull on your signed Ray Rice jersey, slide that lucky Bobby Hull player card in your billfold, and enjoy.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #424
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, the guy who called alleged child rapist Doug Gilmour the nicest person ever is going to insult others for (maybe) liking alleged domestic abuser Bobby Hull? Neither were convicted, but evidently that doesn't matter to you given your recent posts.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #425
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unbelievable.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #426
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Another sad one:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/nat...7-b29f1b7d072e

Quote:
In the video, the deputies can be seen forcing Straw to the ground. A deputy appears to punch Straw in the back of the head more than 20 times.

Marion County Sheriff's officials contend that Straw was resisting arrest and had a knife in his possession. They said an outside law enforcement agency will be reviewing the incident.
So the guy had a knife, so there was some risk to the officers unlike some of the others. But yet another example of them escalating a situation way beyond what it was.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #427
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's really not escalating the situation, that's just pure assault.

And the knife is a red herring, the guy is homeless, he had all his belongings on him. A knife is an extremely useful and necessary tool to have. Finding it in his possession (assuming he wasn't holding it) isn't much different then them finding a knife in a residence (i.e. every house ever).

Although he's white, so this should probably go into the police transgression thread we had before.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #428
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I came to warn you about the cougar," he said while pinned to the ground. "There's a cougar. It's hurting people."
Haha, I guess the cougar got away then while police were beating him up? So, cougars are actually above whites in the food chain of racist policing. Good to know.

Honestly, that looked terribly excessive.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #429
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Unbelievable.

I understand getting the wrong person but in what world does a 10 year old who obviously isn’t armed need handcuffs...?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #430
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That's really not escalating the situation, that's just pure assault.

And the knife is a red herring, the guy is homeless, he had all his belongings on him. A knife is an extremely useful and necessary tool to have. Finding it in his possession (assuming he wasn't holding it) isn't much different then them finding a knife in a residence (i.e. every house ever).

Although he's white, so this should probably go into the police transgression thread we had before.
Agreed about the red herring angle. Just didn't want to make it look like I was hiding or ignoring the fact there was a weapon in this case.

Also, with the thread title including oppression, I figured this was still the best place for it. But point conceded.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #431
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another incident. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before he gets identified on social media.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #432
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why should he? According to him, they were the only ones in the pool. And showering before hoping in a Pool should be more enforced.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #433
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Why should he? According to him, they were the only ones in the pool. And showering before hoping in a Pool should be more enforced.
According to her, they weren't the only ones in the pool. But let's say he's not racist -- to go around telling people they are dirty to their faces is still pretty stupid. He could have reported them to the management discreetly.

It's like that BBQ Becky incident. Turns out she was an air quality engineer so her concern about people burning charcoal in a park may be legitimate but why would somebody try to ruin a family bbq? Surely an anonymous call to the bylaw office would be a better way to handle the situation? Given the sensitivity of the racial incidents today, you would think people would get a clue.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #434
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
This kind of thinking can eff right off.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #435
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
According to her, they weren't the only ones in the pool. But let's say he's not racist -- to go around telling people they are dirty to their faces is still pretty stupid. He could have reported them to the management discreetly.

It's like that BBQ Becky incident. Turns out she was an air quality engineer so her concern about people burning charcoal in a park may be legitimate but why would somebody try to ruin a family bbq? Surely an anonymous call to the bylaw office would be a better way to handle the situation? Given the sensitivity of the racial incidents today, you would think people would get a clue.
IT would be racist to not do your job if your expectations were the same for everyone.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #436
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
This kind of thinking can eff right off.
Why? Someone befronts you, you should record it, put on the internet, sensationalize the hell out of it, and publically reveal their identity? The only thing worse would be others who weren’t affected by anything at all naming someone for public shaming, based upon some short clip of an interaction.
The standard of evidence before publically outing someone needs to be a #### of a lot stronger than a video of after the fact altercation.

Sure, someone on video doing something clearly egregious, if you think the appropriate response is to inter-mob some idea of justice, have at it. I’ll disagree most of the time. But honestly, you think a he said/she said argument between two people is worthy of the eternal consequences of face and name ID? Mob justice is disgusting and lacks any standard of law 99.9% of the time.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #437
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Why? Someone befronts you, you should record it, put on the internet, sensationalize the hell out of it, and publically reveal their identity? The only thing worse would be others who weren’t affected by anything at all naming someone for public shaming, based upon some short clip of an interaction.
The standard of evidence before publically outing someone needs to be a #### of a lot stronger than a video of after the fact altercation.

Sure, someone on video doing something clearly egregious, if you think the appropriate response is to inter-mob some idea of justice, have at it. I’ll disagree most of the time. But honestly, you think a he said/she said argument between two people is worthy of the eternal consequences of face and name ID? Mob justice is disgusting and lacks any standard of law 99.9% of the time.
The law only concerns itself with legal ramifications. While I agree that “mob justice” re:internet outing doesn’t meet legal standards, the results are also not law-related, so it doesn’t matter.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #438
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Westin is a luxury hotel? Okay.

Anyway, some of these I feel are going to extremes. Who knows what happened at the pool before. The histrionics in the video don't really help. The family could have arrived at the pool deck completely dry, making someone wonder if they did shower. I have seen some pool staff talk to kids who arrive at the pool and tell them to rinse off because they obviously didn't rinse off.

Pools are gross though. I wish I had a nickel for every bandage or booger I saw floating in the pool.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #439
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This photo was recently leaked. Nice to see the Australian Army promoting the racist Aussie stereotype in Afghanistan.

It did happen over 10 years ago and is more likely dark military humour instead of racism but I thought it was worth sharing.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #440
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
IT would be racist to not do your job if your expectations were the same for everyone.
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to but nobody was "doing their job". According to the woman, the man tried claiming he was a health inspector but the hotel said that was not true.