Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #561
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Can someone explain why a group like the manning institute running a "slate" of candidates is such a bad thing? They still have to campaign in their own wards and attempt to convince the people there to vote for them no? There isn't an option to vote for a group as far as I have seen in Calgary elections.
I think for me that I just prefer no party politics in civic politics. I wouldn’t want the NDP or any other group sponsoring candidates either. Can’t they just leave civic politics and stick their usual cesspools?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #562
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think for me that I just prefer no party politics in civic politics. I wouldn’t want the NDP or any other group sponsoring candidates either. Can’t they just leave civic politics and stick their usual cesspools?
Either this or the next election the UCP will be trying to introduce party politics into municipal elections. It’s decidedly moving that way as the UCPs are already finding candidates to run in Edmonton and Calgary. I’m aware of a couple of names in Edmonton.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #563
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can someone explain why a group like the manning institute running a "slate" of candidates is such a bad thing? They still have to campaign in their own wards and attempt to convince the people there to vote for them no? There isn't an option to vote for a group as far as I have seen in Calgary elections.
One downside is they would likely vote as a block on almost everything. At least now we do have some independence amongst the councilors.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #564
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someone donates a couple hundreds for a bus to bring in Indigenous who are being affected by the governments' decisions and it's an attack on our democracy and paid actors with foreign motives!

But some conservative thinktank hand picks candidates for all forms of government, has vested interest in specific industries, won't disclose donations, and that's just fine.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #565
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Council needs new voices not recycled ideas.
I don't necessarily think you always need new ideas, or that the current ideas are necessarily bad. What's bad is often the festering resentment and bad blood that develops when the same people work together for years and years.

Sometimes the same ideas, but with fresh personalities who are less jaded, and are more willing to converse and look for compromises, might be what's needed.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #566
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m against slates because they’re pretty much party politics in disguise. And IMHO, one of the merits of municipal politics is it isn’t about two parties hammering away at one another. When you vote in municipal elections, you’re voting for a candidate, not some ideological team.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #567
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I’m against slates because they’re pretty much party politics in disguise. And IMHO, one of the merits of municipal politics is it isn’t about two parties hammering away at one another. When you vote in municipal elections, you’re voting for a candidate, not some ideological team.
And in theory, slates usually make policy in alignment without fruitful, constructive discussion from multiple angles. This to me is the most dangerous part - and we see that play out at the provincial and federal levels. We don't need that at the municipal level if it can be avoided.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #568
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sad. Not one post about Magliocca giving an excuse of being too fat for his outrageous expenses!! lol
Old 10-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #569
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Someone donates a couple hundreds for a bus to bring in Indigenous who are being affected by the governments' decisions and it's an attack on our democracy and paid actors with foreign motives!

But some conservative thinktank hand picks candidates for all forms of government, has vested interest in specific industries, won't disclose donations, and that's just fine.
This happens across the spectrum. See BC NDP. See Federal Liberals.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #570
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
And in theory, slates usually make policy in alignment without fruitful, constructive discussion from multiple angles. This to me is the most dangerous part - and we see that play out at the provincial and federal levels. We don't need that at the municipal level if it can be avoided.
Its only a slate if they all win though. If they all win doesn't that represent the wards they ran in?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #571
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half+1 is all it takes. And they only need half+1 to each win. There's a potential for a lot of unheard voices and giving a lot of power to a clandestine thinktank. I'm sure you would not feel the same way if it was a federal NDP think tank.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #572
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Half+1 is all it takes. And they only need half+1 to each win. There's a potential for a lot of unheard voices and giving a lot of power to a clandestine thinktank. I'm sure you would not feel the same way if it was a federal NDP think tank.
Hard to say because I don't know any of the stances of the people who plan to run in my ward have. I think i'd have a hard time not voting for my current rep if He chooses to run again. I don't think he will though (for Councillor that is)

Last edited by Weitz; 10-16-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #573
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to say because I don't know any of the stances of the people who plan to run in my ward have. I think i'd have a hard time not voting for my current rep if He chooses to run again.
No it's not hard to say. If there was some big NDP thinktank funneling millions of dollars into elections you would absolutely be against it.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #574
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok then.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #575
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're you not vocal about Tides Canada interfering by donating to Indigenous groups? They're not even political on the surface, they're for the environment and climate change prevention.

So yes, we know you're not okay with large thinktanks providing funding. Except when it's conservative apparently.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #576
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Municipal politics shouldn't be partisan.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #577
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
We're you not vocal about Tides Canada interfering by donating to Indigenous groups? They're not even political on the surface, they're for the environment and climate change prevention.

So yes, we know you're not okay with large thinktanks providing funding. Except when it's conservative apparently.

Bahahahhahahaahhahahaha.......wait......bahahahaha hahaah.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #578
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're only political because conservative parties barely care about the environment. If the conservative parties had strong environmental policies, Tide Canada would be happy to work with them as well.

Unless you believe in Soros controlling the world or whatever conspiracy non-sense.

But they certainly aren't handpicking candidates to run in elections like true political organizations like Manning.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #579
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're only political because conservative parties barely care about the environment. If the conservative parties had strong environmental policies, Tide Canada would be happy to work with them as well.

Unless you believe in Soros controlling the world or whatever conspiracy non-sense.

But they certainly aren't handpicking candidates to run in elections like true political organizations like Manning.
Oh right, Albertas O&G sector, only became the most regulated non-renewable region on the planet, AFTER Tides showed up.

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #580
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have they even bothered to reach out to Farrell? She is one of the most approachable sitting Councillors willing to talk to city residents. Sounds like people just don't agree with her voting record.

Will be interesting to see if Farrell continues on. She's been there for a long time now.
I'll preface this by saying that in my past, I have indeed voted for Druh (not the last few times) and even defended her a few times on this board.

A few years back myself and a group of neighbors had a matter of concern and approached her office. You're right - I'll give her credit - her aides answered our emails, and eventually progressed to a meeting. Thing is - she governs via a set of beliefs and policies that operate at levels beyond civic government that causes her to gloss over some of actual day to day workings and local concerns of her constituents. Put simply, her constituents are talking, she's listening, but she ain't doing nothing about it. I don't think she was always like that - seemed a little more grounded in her days on the Kensington BRZ. I attribute that to 20 years in the Councillors chair and her aspiring to do bigger things.

You might say, 'well gee you were in the wrong' there - and you might be right. Thing is - I don't think it was just us. That part in Mcrae's interview where she talks about meeting people in a dog park with 'unheard' concerns? I'd say it's accurate. I ended up talking to plenty of neighbors and members of the CA and there was a healthy amount of eye rolling when I mentioned we planned on taking the matter to her. Everyone had tips about dealing with Druh. Most said we were wasting our time.

Lots of scuttlebutt about whether she'd run again. Was some speculation at the time that one of her trusted aides would run with her endorsement as a successor. I think she'll go provincial and help out Notley somehow....or join an urban developer like RNDSQR....

Quote:
That said, I have no doubt that Ward 7 will find itself a UCP acolyte to run as part of the slate, whether that ends up McCrae or someone else. I suspect because of the progressive vote in that Ward that the candidate will be more muted on their alignment though. Sort of like a "back door" entry plan without saying too much.
I wouldn't assume that at all. Kevin Taylor was parachuted here 2 terms ago by the Manning crowd and was defeated. The predominant demographic here is largely a socially progressive, yet fiscally conservative bunch. A candidate taking one step to the right socially, and 2 steps fiscally would go over well with Ward 7 but still be considered some pinko commie by the UCP.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 10-16-2020 at 09:13 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat