Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #41
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's your measuring stick? Star Wars? The nicest thing I can say is that the studios were handed a winning formula from the comics and all they had to do was not mess it up. These movies to me are more like big budget video games, designed, and engineered to cater to the masses rather than crafted movies.
He said Bond in the very next sentence...
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #42
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The nicest thing I can say is that the studios were handed a winning formula from the comics and all they had to do was not mess it up.
The past 30+ years are littered with comic-based movies that were critical and/or commercial failures. if you counted them all up, I bet even with all the MCU successes there would still be more comic book movies that crapped out than not.

if it was so easy to to turn comic books into successful movie franchises, then we'd be here talking about the sequels for Catwoman, Elektra, Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Fantastic Four, Howard the Duck, and on and on. but we're not, because it actually requires planning and vision to execute. those are two things that the mighty Star Wars film franchise doesn't have right now, and it got immediately reflected in the recent box office returns.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The past 30+ years are littered with comic-based movies that were critical and/or commercial failures. if you counted them all up, I bet even with all the MCU successes there would still be more comic book movies that crapped out than not.

if it was so easy to to turn comic books into successful movie franchises, then we'd be here talking about the sequels for Catwoman, Elektra, Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Fantastic Four, Howard the Duck, and on and on. but we're not, because it actually requires planning and vision to execute. those are two things that the mighty Star Wars film franchise doesn't have right now, and it got immediately reflected in the recent box office returns.
Comic Book fans are passionate about the stories and the source material. You have to do justice to the characters and their stories....or else.

People who claim 'superhero fatigue' or that these are in some way inferior films seem to have the point of view that fans of comic books and the subsequent films will just dutifully slurp their gruel and like Oliver Twist beg:

"Please sir, can I have some more?"

Rather than the fact that this demographic of film-goers are actually considerably discerning and highly critical, they're not just consuming content for its own sake.

The fact of the matter is that these are good and entertaining movies that a large demographic really enjoy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #44
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get not liking certain types of movies, but I dont understand cheering or hoping for things to bomb, or wishing they werent made anymore
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I get not liking certain types of movies, but I dont understand cheering or hoping for things to bomb, or wishing they werent made anymore
Yeah, no kidding. Its not like watching movies is a 'Team Sport' or anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #46
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I mean, there is the whole weird DC vs Marvel thing.

(Vertigo was always the best imprint anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #47
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Well I mean, there is the whole weird DC vs Marvel thing.

(Vertigo was always the best imprint anyway)
Image is making better comics than either of them now.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #48
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If anything I think once it's capped off history will look back on the MCU as even more impressive. I get that many people don't like the genre, and that's completely acceptable. But to ignore that in 10 years they created 22 movies that fit together coherently and it wasn't a total disaster is almost unbelievable. The only thing I can even compare it to is the Bond universe where the movies aren't all interwoven, it's taken 57 years to make 26 of them, and there's still plenty of garbage films in there.
This

Quote:
What's your measuring stick? Star Wars? The nicest thing I can say is that the studios were handed a winning formula from the comics and all they had to do was not mess it up. These movies to me are more like big budget video games, designed, and engineered to cater to the masses rather than crafted movies.
Yeah I don't think you are giving the Marvel movies enough credit. They may not all be classic movies individually but I think the overall package of movies is a pretty remarkable piece of work.

At the time when this series was launched Marvel was for sale because they were struggling, most comic book movies outside of Batman were hit or miss, and for the most part movie franchises (not limited to comic books) couldn't last past three movies before getting stale.

Plus these movies are more mainstream and popular than the comics ever were. My wife would never have read a comic but she loves GotG, Thor: Ragnarok, etc and was emotionally attached to the characters to the point that she was legitimately sad/angry when they
Spoiler!

Them being able to put together a story that spanned 10 years, across 22 movies, while keeping it appealing to both casual and hardcore fans, and making movies that are only really getting better as time went on (Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, Infinity War all deep into the plan) is pretty much an unprecedented and remarkable feat.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-12-2019 at 06:38 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #49
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Marvel did it without their most popular franchises.

No X-men or Spidermen.

If you told someone 10 years ago that captain marvel was going to make 1 billion dollars no one would have believed you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
And Marvel did it without their most popular franchises.

No X-men or Spidermen.

If you told someone 10 years ago that captain marvel was going to make 1 billion dollars no one would have believed you.
Huge drop off on the Monday. CMs totals look inflated by the presales. I don't see CM breaking 1 billion. Still very solid numbers obviously.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #51
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Huge drop off on the Monday. CMs totals look inflated by the presales. I don't see CM breaking 1 billion. Still very solid numbers obviously.
It held very well in it's second weekend actually -- better drop off performance than most of the MCU and already at $760M worldwide. Should have no problem hitting a billion +.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #52
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It held very well in it's second weekend actually -- better drop off performance than most of the MCU and already at $760M worldwide. Should have no problem hitting a billion +.
Yeah those Saturday numbers are especially surprising. Looks like it has a good shot at 1 billion. Dumbo and Shazam look to be the next competition in it's segment. Nothing out next week besides Us. It could do well next week too.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #53
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So its looking like Shazam will get the Spiderverse treatment, awesome movie but mediocre box office results. Opening weekend predictions for Shazam are only at $50million. They picked a horrible release date sandwiched between two billion dollar MCU films in Cap Marvel and End Game as well as having to contend with Dumbo, US and Pet Semetary. The good news is the movie is amazing and cost less than $100million so they should still make lots of money and hopefully enough for a sequel because this film deserves one.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #54
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
So its looking like Shazam will get the Spiderverse treatment, awesome movie but mediocre box office results. Opening weekend predictions for Shazam are only at $50million. They picked a horrible release date sandwiched between two billion dollar MCU films in Cap Marvel and End Game as well as having to contend with Dumbo, US and Pet Semetary. The good news is the movie is amazing and cost less than $100million so they should still make lots of money and hopefully enough for a sequel because this film deserves one.

It's funny how skewed what we consider a success to be is now. A 55 million opener could still put it on once to earn over 500 million.

Dumbo looks like a bomb, and Pet Cemetery and US are a pretty different demographic. I do agree opening just before one of the biggest movies of all time is far from ideal though.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #55
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Endgame is still 3 weeks away, are moviegoers that short on budget that they need to save up for a night out at the end of this month? it's springtime and people should be leaving the house on weekends more.

for introducing a lower tier character like Shazam, the expectation should not be 100+ million on opening weekend. and if a start like that is required to turn a profit, then the studio's just doing it wrong.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #56
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think Hellboy is going to be worse off. Advertising for it seems to have dropped off completely and a R rating up against Us and Pet Sematary makes it a hard sell.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Endgame is still 3 weeks away, are moviegoers that short on budget that they need to save up for a night out at the end of this month? it's springtime and people should be leaving the house on weekends more.

for introducing a lower tier character like Shazam, the expectation should not be 100+ million on opening weekend. and if a start like that is required to turn a profit, then the studio's just doing it wrong.

Shazam's budget is supposedly 80-90 million. Seems like they've spent a load on advertising.

Anything over 300 million worldwide should put it into the black though. 55 million opening should translate into at least 400 million worldwide.

Also end game could actually help Shazam through overflow. A lot of people may show up to the theatres and be unable to see End Game, so they go to Shazam as a second choice.

Last edited by blankall; 04-05-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #58
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope you guys are right, I think this movie really deserves a sequel. Given the budget anything over $400 million should get it a sequel? I agree with the spillover effect blankall however the problem with Endgame is it's going to eat up all the screens and leave nothing for the rest.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #59
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

End Game just made $27Million in one day in China. The previous record was Infinity War with just over $9mill. This movie going to be huuuuuge.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #60
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weekend isn't over and Endgame has already decimated all prior opening records at $1.2billion. Hasn't even opened in all international markets yet.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4507
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote