Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #101
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phil Kessel went to buy his breakfast sandwiches this morning and was exactly 2.5M short in his bank account - a very embarrassing moment. These changes are hitting to close to home.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #102
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Phil Kessel went to buy his breakfast sandwiches this morning and was exactly 2.5M short in his bank account - a very embarrassing moment. These changes are hitting to close to home.
#prayforphil
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #103
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
I appreciate the advice and trust me I know I can handle it but this but you may be shocked to learn that in all my comments I am not speaking as the Jackets GM, I am speaking for those GM's who are either too scared to say anything or just don't comprehend how this may handicap them with such an immediate change.

All those changes are great, none came a week from the end of a season.
Honestly if people aren't willing to speak up for themselves I don't care.

I've heard this stuff for years - that people are "too scared". Scared of what?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #104
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Because this isnt about my team, its about the timing of the rule changes and how it will impact the league in general.

Not sure how many other ways I can say I do not mind the rules changes at all, that's not the issue, and if the changes and timing is final and will be implemented ASAP I can live with that.

However, in the future I would encourage that the commish team to think about their timing when making big changes, that's all.
We did think about the timing. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean we didn't think through it.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #105
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Changed the word 'scared' to 'intimidated'. Better?

The timing stinks (specifically for UFA rule) and I am not the only one to say that.

If you guys can't see that there is no point discussing further now is there?
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #106
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Changed the word 'scared' to 'intimidated'. Better?

The timing stinks (specifically for UFA rule) and I am not the only one to say that.
No not better. I am happy to discuss this and debate with GMs willing to state their opinions. That's all we can do.
If someone feels intimidated they can reach out to me directly via PM (Wild GM).
Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #107
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #108
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would anybody be intimidated? I think it's more of a case of some GMs being not as active or "involved", if you want. Remember, quite a few of the teams which would benefit the most from changes didn't even bother participating in the big discussions thread.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #109
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am a brand new GM within the last 6 months and don't fully comprehend the rules yet, how am I in a position to comment on any new ones? I certainly would feel intimidated to enter into this kind of conversation.

There is a reason why a lot of the new GM's are not engaged in this conversation because IMO they just don't fully comprehend how this game works yet in all it's layers and complexities. That's not a bad thing but I do feel it is important to look at this from the other side as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #110
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps a good compromise to this would be the option to buyout a bad contract to allow teams to not be screwed with such little time to adjust. Matt Moulson on Columbus is set to make 7.5 million, and only has 34 points and is not going to be worth anywhere near that. Allowing his 7.5 mil to be utilized on say Nash/Vlasic/Suter would be more fair to CBJ than having to use assets to try and get rid of the boat anchor.

It would still help to create balance as Moulson is still a worthy UFA (yes, just like Gionta would be if I were to buy him out) but it wouldn't be such a drastic alteration as we are near the end of the season. In future seasons we would be better able to plan ahead so we aren't getting crunched like we are now.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #111
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Perhaps a good compromise to this would be the option to buyout a bad contract to allow teams to not be screwed with such little time to adjust. Matt Moulson on Columbus is set to make 7.5 million, and only has 34 points and is not going to be worth anywhere near that. Allowing his 7.5 mil to be utilized on say Nash/Vlasic/Suter would be more fair to CBJ than having to use assets to try and get rid of the boat anchor.

It would still help to create balance as Moulson is still a worthy UFA (yes, just like Gionta would be if I were to buy him out) but it wouldn't be such a drastic alteration as we are near the end of the season. In future seasons we would be better able to plan ahead so we aren't getting crunched like we are now.
See Dave, be like CG and don't hide behind "intimidated others". He wants to get out of Gionta's contract so he's straight up asking for a bail out. You've acquired UFAs and you don't want to lose them without compensation, just say it.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #112
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of teams have an overpaid guy on a multi that could be let go

PIT with Markov
Philly - Schneider
NYR - Gilbert
NYI - Allen
NJ - Peverly
FLA - Gionta
CAR - Smid
Bos - Brewer
MTL - Dupuis
NAS - Cammy
DET - Ruutu
CBJ - Moulson
LA - Richards
Ana - Chris Butler
Van - Smith
EDM - Legwand
Cal - Stempniak
Col - Spezza
Min - Setoguchi
Old 03-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #113
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

PIT with Markov
Philly - Schneider
NYR - Gilbert
NYI - Allen
NJ - Peverly
FLA - Gionta
CAR - Smid
Bos - Brewer
MTL - Dupuis
NAS - Cammy
DET - Ruutu
CBJ - Moulson
LA - Richards
Ana - Chris Butler
Van - Smith
EDM - Legwand
Cal - Stempniak
Col - Spezza
Min - Setoguchi
What the heck are you talking about? He's the 2nd best goalie in the NHL this year. Well worth the contract. Only reason Devils are not competing with the Oilers in the McDavid sweepstakes. Why would I buy him out? You're definitely off you rocker again I'd say.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #114
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:

PIT with Markov
Philly - Schneider
NYR - Gilbert
NYI - Allen
NJ - Peverly
FLA - Gionta
CAR - Smid
Bos - Brewer
MTL - Dupuis
NAS - Cammy
DET - Ruutu
CBJ - Moulson
LA - Richards
Ana - Chris Butler
Van - Smith
EDM - Legwand
Cal - Stempniak
Col - Spezza
Min - Setoguchi
What the heck are you talking about? He's the 2nd best player in the NHL this year. Well worth the contract. Only reason Stars are not competing with the Oilers in the McDavid sweepstakes. Why would I buy him out? You're definitely off you rocker again I'd say.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #115
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
See Dave, be like CG and don't hide behind "intimidated others". He wants to get out of Gionta's contract so he's straight up asking for a bail out. You've acquired UFAs and you don't want to lose them without compensation, just say it.
I will sign Nash and Suter, my two UFA's anyone would keep. I will relase the rest that no one would pay anything for.

Who will give me anything for Boyle, Comeau, Stuart, Lovejoy?

Sorry Atif Asif, you are incorrect and are completely missing what I am saying, let me try and be even more clear.

The timing of the rule changes is bad. Who makes rules changes 3/4 of the way through a season you are currently playing.

When you are at home playing Barbie Mansion on PS4, you would be pissed if they took your lover Ken out of the game and replaced him with a donkey that kills everyone. You bought the game and invested your time to hook up with Ken!
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #116
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of them I threw in as a joke (Schneider and Butler for example)

With the reduction of the bonuses to teams the cap in effect is going down across the league by quite a bit, making an already difficult situation in the offseason (cap space is already at a huuuuge premium) all that much worse. After the lockout in 2013, the NHL allowed compliance buyouts because the cap went down.

Last edited by Caged Great; 03-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #117
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I am a brand new GM within the last 6 months and don't fully comprehend the rules yet, how am I in a position to comment on any new ones? I certainly would feel intimidated to enter into this kind of conversation.

There is a reason why a lot of the new GM's are not engaged in this conversation because IMO they just don't fully comprehend how this game works yet in all it's layers and complexities. That's not a bad thing but I do feel it is important to look at this from the other side as well.
Wow, that's really insulting to a new GM. Really insulting.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #118
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't really care what you think or anyone else for that matter. I was a new GM once and that's how I felt so am posting based on personal experience.

Take it or leave it.

Last edited by MJK; 03-20-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #119
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
What the heck are you talking about? He's the 2nd best player in the NHL this year. Well worth the contract. Only reason Stars are not competing with the Oilers in the McDavid sweepstakes. Why would I buy him out? You're definitely off you rocker again I'd say.
Awe you're so cute, aren't ya. Looks like you've learned the copy and paste.

Why don't you go to this thread and post in here.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=137173
Do what you learned here. Copy and paste your old trade block, since it never changes.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #120
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will sign Nash and Suter, my two UFA's anyone would keep. I will relase the rest that no one would pay anything for.

Who will give me anything for Boyle, Comeau, Stuart, Lovejoy?

Sorry Atif Asif, you are incorrect and are completely missing what I am saying, let me try and be even more clear.

The timing of the rule changes is bad. Who makes rules changes 3/4 of the way through a season you are currently playing.

When you are at home playing Barbie Mansion on PS4, you would be pissed if they took your lover Ken out of the game and replaced him with a donkey that kills everyone. You bought the game and invested your time to hook up with Ken!
Did I hit a nerve here?

$$hit happens, deal with it. They've made the rules so stop your bitching cuz the rule will be for the whole league not just you.