Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default What inspires you?

Chris Snow and his family. Watching the after hours show really made an impression on me to put my life in perspective. What courage Chris and Kelsie Snow have shown through an incredibly difficult ordeal. The vulnerability Chris allows is remarkable.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What an awesome family they are…
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 12:32 AM   #3
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Chris Snow and his family. Watching the after hours show really made an impression on me to put my life in perspective. What courage Chris and Kelsie Snow have shown through an incredibly difficult ordeal. The vulnerability Chris allows is remarkable.
This is a great question, for many years my inspiration was to be successful and for me to be successful I had to be someone who rose to the top in my job and earned the big dollars.
Over the last couple years it has really changed from being successful in my job to being the best dad I can be. The more you hear of how strong a family the Snows are, and the many other stories out there you really realize what is important. The best line I heard from Franklin Covey course was “how do you want be remembered at your funeral” my kids are my inspiration.

Last edited by scobel; 01-30-2022 at 07:22 AM.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:22 AM   #4
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think just seeing people being authentic and vulnerable.

I suppose Chris and co. fall into that basket which is part of what made it great.

When I can have a genuine exchange where there's real connecting over real things. Where a person is no longer saying what they think is appropriate, but how they really feel & think and having that realization that myself and them are not so different. Even hearing someone bravely speak about what inspires them without the fear of how people may judge them for it inspires me. When a person talks about what they are passionate about and why, it's like you can hear the little kid in them who isn't bogged down with limitations or skepticism come out and its a really endearing side of people.

Whenever I walk away from a good, real conversation like that where there is a sense of mutual understanding, I feel super inspired. Maybe it's being trusted, or understanding another person better, or seeing the good side of others, but it brings me faith in the world and like its really worth being a part of.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 01:34 AM   #5
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also artists being amazing at their craft. Whenever they channel their energy into a captivating performance or piece of work, and you can watch that unfold? That's brilliant.

I think because creativity is something that can't be quantified or made into a science. It's like that person is receiving ideas from somewhere else entirely that's beyond us and presenting it in a way that only they give. It's riveting.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 03:27 AM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My foster kids inspire me, they come from the kind of backgrounds you can't imagine, I have had five kids at my house who's fathers were killed, mostly in drug deals gone wrong, mothers that were strung out on drugs, abuse and poverty you couldn't imagine and yet if I give them a bit of stability and hope they grab that and run with it, one of my old foster kids who attended 53 elementary schools his crazy mother moved so much to stay one step ahead of social services has just sold his start up for 250,000, most of my kids are working and getting on with life, they are all effing amazing
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:26 AM   #7
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Kids with Autism inspire me. I was a volunteer with the Foothills Special Olympics program for 7 years and got to work with some amazing kids and young adults. Dispite their disabilities they are some of the happiest people you will ever meet. Always happy to see you and a pleasure to work with.

When life gets me down they remind there are always people in this world that have it tougher than me.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sheldon Kennedy

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Myself.

Just kidding but it's an interview question I always ask and had someone respond that way. I found it very interesting. For the record, this individual's detailed response (life story) was no different than 98% of the population, which is why I didn't know how to react.

In reality, I would say people who are authentic and honest. They aren't just doing good things to tell the world but rather because they want to make a positive impact on someone's life. Most of these people we haven't even heard about because they don't require glory to be a good person.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
My foster kids inspire me, they come from the kind of backgrounds you can't imagine, I have had five kids at my house who's fathers were killed, mostly in drug deals gone wrong, mothers that were strung out on drugs, abuse and poverty you couldn't imagine and yet if I give them a bit of stability and hope they grab that and run with it, one of my old foster kids who attended 53 elementary schools his crazy mother moved so much to stay one step ahead of social services has just sold his start up for 250,000, most of my kids are working and getting on with life, they are all effing amazing
Hearing underdog stories like this will never get old for me. I think there’s something about overcoming trials and adversity (whether it’s poverty or other difficult circumstances) and reaching tremendous heights is a testament to the human spirit and those willing to help others achieve success.

I recently read about Larry Bird’s upbringing, how his family was the poorest in the neighbourhood, how he was extremely shy, and how he dropped out of college and became a garbage collector before being convinced to go back to school and play basketball. The rest of course is history. Personal motivation can be a powerful force.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I met a 100 year old client last week. She is totally competent and vital.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #12
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

This question always makes me uncomfortable. I have a family member that asks me the same thing on our annual visit. Nothing inspires me. Lots of things motivate me, I guess, but I wouldn't say there is a single thing out there that gives me inspiration. It's not an emotion I really ever feel, I don't think.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 06:44 PM   #13
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Myself.

Just kidding but it's an interview question I always ask and had someone respond that way. I found it very interesting. For the record, this individual's detailed response (life story) was no different than 98% of the population, which is why I didn't know how to react.

In reality, I would say people who are authentic and honest. They aren't just doing good things to tell the world but rather because they want to make a positive impact on someone's life. Most of these people we haven't even heard about because they don't require glory to be a good person.
You nailed it there.

People who find their calling and are practicing it every day I think you'll find are less afraid to lay down their armour. They'll put it all out there with whatever they do because they're so fulfilled with their present/day to day that there's no need to pretend, or push titles & accomplishments at people they encounter. There's nothing to prove when you're actually happy & grateful.

I think when you're doing something that's in line with your values, its no longer a competition or a grind just to model social perfection. I've maintained that when you grow older you realize your happiness isn't determined by what you accumulate but by how much you're openly being yourself (and can contribute to others lives while doing so).

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-30-2022 at 07:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 06:48 PM   #14
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long time ago I worked alongside a woman called Sarah Conlon whose husband and son were stitched up and locked up for crimes they did not commit in one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in British history. Her husband died in prison. Her son was released after 15 years.

Didn't know her well, just to say hello to. Just worked alongside her and knew her story. Everyone knew her story.

What I do know is that she never carried any resentment or bitterness towards the people that framed her family. Instead, she chose to pray for them.

I'm not religious but she is a reason why I cannot judge anyone for their beliefs or for being religious as, as many faults there might be, it, for her it was a huge source of comfort and serenity.

Anytime I get a festering resentment building up I think of her and tell myself that if she can forgive and let go of everything that was done to her then surely I can let go of my teeny little gripes.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 06:17 AM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'd have to say my son. As corny as that may be.

I remember dropping him off his second day of pre-primary. He's an outgoing kid, extremely extroverted, loves life, loves people, you know all the good things every parent says about their own kid.

As we're walking up to the fence for drop off, another classmate was with his mom. He was hugging her, upset and didn't want to go, he didn't want to leave mom. Hey dude, I get it. I was the same way.

I held back, my natural instinct to pull away and give them space (the introverted me).

My little guy, walks right over, says hi, and asks the other little boy to come play with him in the school yard.

I stood there in shock.

Where the flipping, flying, frack did that come from?

It was so kind, so open, so caring.

Both myself and my wife are introverted. (I'm extroverted *if* I know you, am in a familiar setting, or in front of a crowd). No way either of us would do that, or think to do that.

Kids man... They're not just for brainwashing into Flames fans.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 07:26 AM   #16
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Not as heavy as most responses, but music truly inspires me. It can bring a tear to my eye for no good reason. Sometimes its an intense solo, sometimes a super tight pocket, sometimes its poetic lyrics. I think we're lucky to be in the era where we can hear music from all around the world at any time and easily find music for the past half century or more as well.

Also mark me down as a +1 for all those noting authenticity. The fake social media era we are in saddens me and I also am just living life searching for real people showing real emotion.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:23 AM   #17
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Videos from people on the ground in Ottawa right now. Its Canadian Woodstock, and the most defining moment in Canadian history since Vimy Ridge. Its not a fringe minority, or nazis, or anything else the garbage media is spewing. Its an insane amount of every day people coming together and having a love-fest peaceful protest the likes of which are likely unprecedented as far as parliament hill goes. There will always be those that are evil and wrong in anything this huge. I am seriously considering cutting my Europe tour short to fly there and be with them.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 09:33 AM   #18
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Videos from people on the ground in Ottawa right now. Its Canadian Woodstock, and the most defining moment in Canadian history since Vimy Ridge. Its not a fringe minority, or nazis, or anything else the garbage media is spewing. Its an insane amount of every day people coming together and having a love-fest peaceful protest the likes of which are likely unprecedented as far as parliament hill goes. There will always be those that are evil and wrong in anything this huge. I am seriously considering cutting my Europe tour short to fly there and be with them.
Jesus christ, what a load of bull####. You really are so tied up in your own delusions you can't see the reality of it. It's a tiny minority of Canadians stamping their feet like a bunch of toddlers because they can't have special privileges. That's it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #19
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, wrong thread bud. This isn't the morons of the pandemic thread.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Dude, that's weird. These people are a bunch of total morons. They're protesting to be allowed into Canada unvaccinated from a country they aren't allowed into unvaccinated. It's like a parade of dopes.

Plus they want to demand Trudeau's resignation. Fata that. That's not how democracy works. We don't intimidate our politicians into leaving office; we vote them out.

What about what they're doing do you support?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: