Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Home and Business Utilities

Edit. Directed to existing thread below. Thanks.

My Atco plan is coming due shortly. Anyone thinking that locking in might be prudent? Direct Energy offering 5 years of 7.39 cent power and 3.99 gas. Atco is pretty much the same but have a 6.99/month fee on top.

Any reason to not go with Direct Energy?

Last edited by chedder; 10-06-2021 at 11:24 AM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ighlight=enmax

Good thread for utility plan discussions. That said, Enmax might be cheaper right now
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I changed my Atco plan to a 2-year fixed plan a couple of weekends ago when I heard natural gas was going up. When it was really hot over the summer my electrical bill shot up to about $450 for one month because of my A/C. That was a bit of a shocker.

Plus, we downsized into an attached town house a couple of years ago. Apparently the building code makes an electric water heater mandatory in those circumstances. It's definitely more expensive to run than natural gas water heater.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I changed my Atco plan to a 2-year fixed plan a couple of weekends ago when I heard natural gas was going up. When it was really hot over the summer my electrical bill shot up to about $450 for one month because of my A/C. That was a bit of a shocker.

Plus, we downsized into an attached town house a couple of years ago. Apparently the building code makes an electric water heater mandatory in those circumstances. It's definitely more expensive to run than natural gas water heater.
That just seems bonkers. How's that better for the environment? Have gas burned by the plant to create steam, generate electricity, send that down the line with all it's losses, then use that to heat water again?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That just seems bonkers. How's that better for the environment? Have gas burned by the plant to create steam, generate electricity, send that down the line with all it's losses, then use that to heat water again?

This is what I was told by the builder. My son just moved into a 8-year old townhouse condo and his heater is elecitric too. If a natural gas furnace is fine in those places, I don't see why natural gas water heater isn't. Perhaps some backroom dealings between the power company cabal and government instead? Lol.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is what I was told by the builder. My son just moved into a 8-year old townhouse condo and his heater is elecitric too. If a natural gas furnace is fine in those places, I don't see why natural gas water heater isn't. Perhaps some backroom dealings between the power company cabal and government instead? Lol.
Cheaper for the builder, probably all it is. I don't think there's any building code that says a townhome can't have a gas water heater, but I could be wrong. They are building some new ones near me and the multiple PVC pipes for Furnace/Water heater seem to indicate that they have gas heated water also.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is absolutely nothing in our building code, plumbing code or energy code that mandates electric water heaters.

The only reason you have an electric one is because it was easier for the builder to install. That's it. If anyone tells you otherwise they're misinformed or lying.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's worse for the environment, and not a code requirement.

But it is cheaper to install for the builder, and most people don't care.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

$450 in a townhouse? Holy cripes that's brutal.