Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #41
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I was thinking this exact same thing.

It's disturbingly clear who here married a partner, and who married someone to be their mom.

Which one am I?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #42
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone's hit on the big stuff, but having just finished this process myself I'll recommend communication and being understanding with each other. I guarantee she has anxieties about the process (like you do) and getting them out into the open and dealing with them is such a simple way of not allowing them to become big things.

And referring to things/spaces as "ours" is such a simple way to make her feel at ease in the shared space.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #43
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Which one am I?
Depends how serious your first post was I suppose.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:47 AM   #44
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you had a roommate before? Because it’s the roommate stuff that will likely be the source of friction.

In my experience with over a dozen roommates, people can broadly be categorized into tidy, average, and slob, and the likelihood of any two people being in the same category is not high. So you need to figure out how to address any differences around cleanliness and housework.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:49 AM   #45
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Depends how serious your first post was I suppose.

1000% serious.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:52 AM   #46
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Never go to bed mad at each other
yes Ne-Yo gives great advice

jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #47
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Have you had a roommate before? Because it’s the roommate stuff that will likely be the source of friction.

In my experience with over a dozen roommates, people can broadly be categorized into tidy, average, and slob, and the likelihood of any two people being in the same category is not high. So you need to figure out how to address any differences around cleanliness and housework.
Don't forget klepto.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:12 AM   #48
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Ask her to marry you.

Once that’s out of the way, Get married and do it small - like immediate family + best friends max.

You’ll actually get to enjoy your wedding, and save a ton of money.

This latest Covid wave is a perfect time to do it too; you don’t have to justify your decision to any of your tertiary friends And family, you can just say “####in Covid eh” and you’re off the hook.

Oh, and don’t listen to the bitter old men who lament marriage because they chose poorly.

Good luck.

Oh, and clean every surface of your apartment.
100% true. We went this route and it made things so much easier/smoother. I was really nervous about a big wedding, I just don't like being the center of attention. Well I mean she would be far more than me but attention by association.

So we went with a small wedding with immediate family only. I had by best friend as bestman and she had hers for made of honour but past that, it was just parents.

It was awesome. I felt bad for her at first as it wasn't quite what she wanted but she has said many times it was perfect and she was 100% happy with it.

I think big weddings are just too much. Way too much time/money/pressure.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #49
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just get married the way you want to get married.

You only do it once. Okay, twice. Alright, maybe three times max.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #50
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
He's in a condo in Vancouver, how many different rooms do you think the guy has?
Doesn't have to be a room. Can just be time away from each other. A couple hours at the gym. A round of golf. A walk alone woods. Just something regular away from each other so your time together takes on more meaning. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. Always together and on top of each other (get your minds out of the gutter) is a sure way to tiring of your mate and letting the small things blow up into big things, which result in ugly ends to relationships.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Doesn't have to be a room. Can just be time away from each other. A couple hours at the gym. A round of golf. A walk alone woods. Just something regular away from each other so your time together takes on more meaning. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. Always together and on top of each other (get your minds out of the gutter) is a sure way to tiring of your mate and letting the small things blow up into big things, which result in ugly ends to relationships.
T'was a word play joke. Obviously nobody has a separate room just for breathing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #52
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Communicating is hard for people that grew up in homes with passive aggressiveness, stonewalling, and ignoring problems until they boil over. Takes practice like anything even though it will be uncomfortable if that's not "you".

You'll either become more or less platonic roommates with your spouse eventually or you can learn to speak up and listen and still have a romantic spark there years and years later.

Its easy to go the roommate route. You just let natural complacency do its thing. I'd say the vast majority of guys do this. I have myself. They think they can't keep her happy (cause they go about it the wrong way) and give up trying.

But yeah. Don't stop dating even when you live together. Be spontaneous and don't phone in your dates to just stay home. And don't give up your hobbies or routines for her either. Remember there's less mystery now so its essential that you keep doing the things that keep some of that about you and keep you interesting.

Okay, there's my real response.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-31-2021 at 11:04 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 11:11 AM   #53
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
6 months after she moves in...

I’m not sure Peter12 wants his picture made public.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #54
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
T'was a word play joke. Obviously nobody has a separate room just for breathing.
So I'm nobody?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #55
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:59 AM   #56
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Best piece of advice that I have a hard time following is to not sweat the little stuff.

My wife leaves chairs out after using them (not sliding em back under the table), we have a perfectly good mud room, yet she leaves her keys and other stuff on the kitchen counter, we have a shoe rack but she leaves her shoes right at the goddam entrance.

If you were smart, you would just let that #### go. If you are like me, you let it bother you and you get high blood pressure, your hair falls out and you shave years off your life.
I'm going to add a caveat to that. If there are some small things that bother you, clearly, but respectfully communicate those to your partner. Only works if its a two way street and both people are willing to put in the effort to reduce the habits that bug the other person. There will almost certainly be small, little things that you do and don't think twice about it, but will get under the skin of your partner. If you don't communicate these things early on, you risk the possibility of letting a tiny thing compound into a bigger, more troublesome feeling of resentment.

The last thing you want is to have a big, huge fight about about something silly like, the way the dishwasher gets loaded. You might say things you regret because you didn't communicate early on that large bowls and pans should really be hand washed instead of shoved into the dishwasher all willy nilly. Like who does that, it obstructs the water from getting to the glasses on the top shelf. How can one not notice the food scum on the bottom of the glassware? The dishwasher is always full because things need to be rewashed all the time. The counter is a mess because there is a backlog of things that won't fit. The nice knives loose their sharpness when you pile them up in the sink with the other dishes that also won't fit in the dishwasher, you know I hate dull knives, that's why I cut my finger last week! I'm literally being injured and abused here - why are we living like this?!

So yeah, best to be proactive and avoid something like that.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 12:02 PM   #57
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keep calling her "the girlfriend", whenever you get the chance.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #58
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
I'm going to add a caveat to that. If there are some small things that bother you, clearly, but respectfully communicate those to your partner. Only works if its a two way street and both people are willing to put in the effort to reduce the habits that bug the other person. There will almost certainly be small, little things that you do and don't think twice about it, but will get under the skin of your partner. If you don't communicate these things early on, you risk the possibility of letting a tiny thing compound into a bigger, more troublesome feeling of resentment.

The last thing you want is to have a big, huge fight about about something silly like, the way the dishwasher gets loaded. You might say things you regret because you didn't communicate early on that large bowls and pans should really be hand washed instead of shoved into the dishwasher all willy nilly. Like who does that, it obstructs the water from getting to the glasses on the top shelf. How can one not notice the food scum on the bottom of the glassware? The dishwasher is always full because things need to be rewashed all the time. The counter is a mess because there is a backlog of things that won't fit. The nice knives loose their sharpness when you pile them up in the sink with the other dishes that also won't fit in the dishwasher, you know I hate dull knives, that's why I cut my finger last week! I'm literally being injured and abused here - why are we living like this?!

So yeah, best to be proactive and avoid something like that.
Ah, a man of experience I see!

You are correct, like others have said. Communicate, and offer praise and appreciation liberally. Voice your concerns (don't bottle them up and stonewall the other party), but be polite about it and know that you do #### that will piss her off, and she'll do #### that pisses you off no matter how hard you try to avoid those (often minor) things.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #59
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Keep calling her "the girlfriend", whenever you get the chance.
Whenever my wife and I are at the Starbucks counter, I always say I'm going to pay for my friend here too. Drives her nuts
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #60
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Communicate, communicate, communicate.

Married 43 years and I’m not good at this communication thing so I don’t know how we’ve made it this long, but I read the communication thing somewhere.
Married 19 years but sounds like you and I are alike. Good to know that there is hope for us to last a lot longer!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote