Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Christmas Lights

So earlier this year, we moved to a new house that is much more Christmas Light display friendly (more places to put lights, etc.) As such, I've started looking at expanding our paltry Christmas light collection and thought I'd see what people here recommend. I've been looking at some of the NOMA smart light products, but stock is pretty much non-existent. Home Depot carries a smart line too, but the temparature range on them would suggest they won't fare well in -15 to -30.

Also wondering what people's recommendations are for light clips. The NOMA universal ones seem pretty versatile.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those green clips had middling reviews, so I grabbed these, as they were cheaper, and you got more. They worked well, and none broke:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...1204p.html#srp

I skipped the smart lights because I don't trust that they will be supported in 5 years, and grabbed these ones:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...3961p.html#srp

They have a remote. The only downer is you can't program one colour, other than white. So they are all full colour sequences. But it has a timer built in. I bought 3 strings, and they sync up if plugged together, so you only need one remote.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-24-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If you have a bigger budget, I recommend Gemstone lights on the front of your house. Perfect permanent replacements that are smart-controlled and has a bajillion patterns for holidays, team colors, and even just regular accent lighting.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m lazy and concerned for safety so I have one of those ground-mounted lights with the changing colours that shine on my my house. It takes a minute to set up.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the Noma smart lights and those green clips. When I put them up in October none broke, and so far they are still in place.

As for the lights they have not been a problem at all, but if you had a weak WiFi signal I could see them being a problem. I had to move our WiFi extender closer to the one set and from time to time I need to reboot it so the one set will reconnect. I feel like the negative reviews are likely because people struggle with technology.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I feel like the negative reviews are likely because people struggle with technology.
Yeah, I got that feeling as well. Reading the reviews, quite a few people spoke of needing to following a process to get them running and after that they work great.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If you have a bigger budget, I recommend Gemstone lights on the front of your house. Perfect permanent replacements that are smart-controlled and has a bajillion patterns for holidays, team colors, and even just regular accent lighting.
I was going to ask about those, same as Trimlight? What do they go for? Obviously depends on the size of the house, but I’m guessing a few grand or so? I’ve seen them before, they’re pretty nice.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I was going to ask about those, same as Trimlight? What do they go for? Obviously depends on the size of the house, but I’m guessing a few grand or so? I’ve seen them before, they’re pretty nice.
Not sure about Trimlight, but Gemstones are great and will run you about $2-3k for the front of a house. It depends on how many meters of lights you need to do the trim and the peaks.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #9
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I second that. Installed them a couple of years ago and love them. A few of us on the block did them. They are programable, so I put on flames colors for my 8 year old whenever the flames play a big game, and to subconsciously tick off the oilers fan across the street.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i would love to do gemstone (or something similar); however, there is no way in the world that the wife would approve a $3k spend on lights.....if i was to go buy a new tv/surround system then i could get access to the capital required easily.....
Old 11-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Highly recommend Gemstone as well. We got them last year and they have been worth every penny.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #12
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I skipped the smart lights because I don't trust that they will be supported in 5 years, and grabbed these ones:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...3961p.html#srp

They have a remote. The only downer is you can't program one colour, other than white. So they are all full colour sequences. But it has a timer built in. I bought 3 strings, and they sync up if plugged together, so you only need one remote.
I decided to go this route. Had to order them from Brooks, as there was little stock in Calgary. I ordered 8 strings, which I think may be a bit much, so if I have some left over I'll let people know!

Has anyone ever hired a company to do a tree install? We have a large tree which is a bit high for my comfort level.
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if it all goes wrong, blame Canadian Tire, not me! When I got them the reviews were all really good, but it seems several fo the reviews have issues. But I'd imagine they sell massive numbers of these, so you only hear about the bad ones.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll be coming for you with a newly sharpened pitchfork.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'll be coming for you with a newly sharpened pitchfork.
I'll defend myself with COVID restrictions preventing your entry, and subsequent prodding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I decided to go this route. Had to order them from Brooks, as there was little stock in Calgary. I ordered 8 strings, which I think may be a bit much, so if I have some left over I'll let people know!

Has anyone ever hired a company to do a tree install? We have a large tree which is a bit high for my comfort level.
Northern Lights does our tree, I would recommend.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm jumping on the Gemstone Lights bandwagon today. I don't live in a large house (1300 square feet, two story). But obviously the smaller the house, the cheaper the install.

I'll be getting the 1st and 2nd storey done and the quote is just under $1800 including GST.

I was personally expecting it to cost $2500 or more, but after a neighbour got it done for about $1600 (with fewer lights due to the design of their home), I figured I'd ask for my own quote. I was kind of thinking that my wife would be my voice of reason and talk me out of it, but then she's like "so we can do orange and purple at Halloween!?!" and that was that. She loves Halloween.

And of course I can throw some red and white up on Canada Day, Flames colours on big game days, Norwich City (the tacky but fabulous yellow and green) if they get promoted again, etc. I'm not really interested in the moving and flashy options, but I do like the idea of changing up the static patterns for special occasions. And I can have a different Christmas pattern for every day of the week if I want to.

Frivolous, yes, but the thought of not having to get up on the ladder anymore is appealing as well.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit OT,

But this site:

https://lightenupcalgary.ca/

Lists great residential light displays.

Might be useful to kill off an evening or two during COVID Christmas.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm jumping on the Gemstone Lights bandwagon today. I don't live in a large house (1300 square feet, two story). But obviously the smaller the house, the cheaper the install.

I'll be getting the 1st and 2nd storey done and the quote is just under $1800 including GST.

I was personally expecting it to cost $2500 or more, but after a neighbour got it done for about $1600 (with fewer lights due to the design of their home), I figured I'd ask for my own quote. I was kind of thinking that my wife would be my voice of reason and talk me out of it, but then she's like "so we can do orange and purple at Halloween!?!" and that was that. She loves Halloween.

And of course I can throw some red and white up on Canada Day, Flames colours on big game days, Norwich City (the tacky but fabulous yellow and green) if they get promoted again, etc. I'm not really interested in the moving and flashy options, but I do like the idea of changing up the static patterns for special occasions. And I can have a different Christmas pattern for every day of the week if I want to.

Frivolous, yes, but the thought of not having to get up on the ladder anymore is appealing as well.
Oh man, those are going to be so awesome. What a clean looking installation. Super jealous!!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #20
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I'm just happy to have my lights plugged into a WiFi outlet so that I can say "OK Google, Turn on all the Christmas Lights".

I feel like I live in the future
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote