Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #1261
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Awesome guy. They took out 3 trees today. thanks.
If you don't mind sharing, how much was it per tree and how big were the trees?

I was fully planning on kicking the can down the road, but maybe I should bite the bullet and get the trees removed ASAP before they damage/add damage the foundation of the house.

I also wonder if cutting down the darn thing myself would help save on costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
As promised, here's a post-mowing photo of the bee turf. Supposed to thicken up as you continue to mow it. Just as walkable/kid playable/whatever as grass IMO.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1413985022193725443
That's surprisingly not the look I was expecting.

I was in the Banff and Field area this weekend and I kept seeing clovers and other plants growing instead of grass and I definitely kept thinking about the the bee turf product.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #1262
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
As promised, here's a post-mowing photo of the bee turf. Supposed to thicken up as you continue to mow it. Just as walkable/kid playable/whatever as grass IMO.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1413985022193725443
That's great. You're the second post I've see on this in the last couple days. Do you know if it can just be done with seeding or can you get bee turf sod? We're doing a major rework of our back yard next year (levelling and changing the slops in a couple spots) and I'd love to put this in for sod.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #1263
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
That's great. You're the second post I've see on this in the last couple days. Do you know if it can just be done with seeding or can you get bee turf sod? We're doing a major rework of our back yard next year (levelling and changing the slops in a couple spots) and I'd love to put this in for sod.
We had dug up and re-worked the entire backyard as well, what grass that was there, was not growing well.
I don't think there's sod, but since it was all dug up already, seeding was easy, just needs soil contact and to be damp/keep off it for the first few weeks.

If you're set on sod, maybe you could find a grass w/ micro clover already in it? There's also seeds for mixing clover into your grass.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #1264
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any idea how the bee turf handles winters here? I looked it up and it says Zone 4 hardy, I know most of Calgary was recently moved to Zone 4 but I've had Zone 3 plants not able to handle cold winters.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #1265
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

I was fully planning on kicking the can down the road, but maybe I should bite the bullet and get the trees removed ASAP before they damage/add damage the foundation of the house.

We used Grant as well. For our 40 ft pine tree cost 850.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #1266
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

First time hearing of bee turf. How does it do in shady spots?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #1267
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Any idea how the bee turf handles winters here? I looked it up and it says Zone 4 hardy, I know most of Calgary was recently moved to Zone 4 but I've had Zone 3 plants not able to handle cold winters.
Supposed to be fine in Calgary but I guess I'll see in a year.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #1268
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
First time hearing of bee turf. How does it do in shady spots?
From the website
Exposure: Full sun to partial shade: At least 4 hours of directs sunlight daily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #1269
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing worse than running on clover as a kid and getting the inevitable foot string from stepping on a bee.

Bee turf sounds great if you never want to have anyone play on it barefoot
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #1270
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

That's surprisingly not the look I was expecting.

I was in the Banff and Field area this weekend and I kept seeing clovers and other plants growing instead of grass and I definitely kept thinking about the the bee turf product.

Sorry, I completely missed this. It was $850 total. He removed the three trees, ground the stumps, did pruning on some other trees and fertilized a few of our shrubs.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #1271
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a weird thing happening with my pine tree and I'm not sure what to do. It's all of a sudden dropping this shiny looking stuff into the ground and it's attracting wasps like crazy. Usually the wasps hang out in the tree and don't bother us, but now with this stuff on the ground they are getting aggressive.

Any ideas? I looked on the tree for aphids as Google was saying this might be honeydew but didn't see any with the naked eye. Didn't want to get too close though. Maybe just wash it away at night and hopefully that solves it?

Unrelated, but the sand work in between our patio blocks are starting to get warn you away with time and insects (mostly ants and birds). Is there a company that can come out and do some maintenance on the stone work?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #1272
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure about the tree. For the pavers, you could try getting a bag of polymeric sand, and follow the instructions. Just skip the plate compactor, since they are already settled. It's really just dump the sand, sweep it over the stones, and wet it. Oh, and a leaf blower. Not sure if it is a problem without it... Very simple. No guarantees it will work to "top up" grooves, but it works great on fresh pavers. One bag for $20 should be enough to try it out.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-02-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #1273
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely aphids. Look close. Real close. Definitely try the hose. Probably won't help too much though considering the ample frass. You in the south? Get the mineral oil spray from Spruce It Up.

Last edited by Shazam; 10-02-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #1274
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious if there are any good resources (websites/books etc.) about backyard vegetable gardening, that are relevant for Calgary’s climate? Apart from planting a few raspberry bushes, I’m a complete newbie with food gardening, so looking to learn…especially if it necessitates trips to Lee Valley.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #1275
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Curious if there are any good resources (websites/books etc.) about backyard vegetable gardening, that are relevant for Calgary’s climate? Apart from planting a few raspberry bushes, I’m a complete newbie with food gardening, so looking to learn…especially if it necessitates trips to Lee Valley.
Well, unless you have a yard that has a lot of south sun and heat most of the day, most vegetables grown in Calgary do better in raised beds. Plants in raised beds have their "feet" up higher and they stay warmer and grow faster, particularly plants like tomatoes. Tomatoes grow very well in individual pots with a drainage tray on the bottom. If the pots are dark brown or black, all the better as their "feet" remain toastier. They don't like water on their leaves and they like to be watered evenly, not too much water or too little water.

Don't just use potting mix. If you do use some of that supplement it with those 3 way mixes as well as some good old fashioned top soil and even a bit of silica sand to keep things from being compacted. Or go to a gardening center that sells those mixes where they are just in piles and you have to shovel them into your vehicle. Not sure how much you need. If you need a lot, you could get a good mix that comes in those big yellow bags...they deliver to your place. Canadian Tire and Lowe's used to sell a mix that was specifically for raised beds and it was excellent. I used it for all my annual flowers. It was in a lime green bag. They still sell potting mix in those lime green bags but I have not seen the large bags of soil for raised beds.

I would suggest going to a gardening center that has actual horticulturists or at least people who have worked there long enough that they are knowledgeable.

Golden Acre used to be good, not sure about now. There is one lady at Green Gate that is very knowledgeable...don't know her name though, only what she looks like. I would think Spruce it Up down south could help as they sponsor that gardening show every Sunday morning on QR77.

Last edited by redforever; 03-05-2022 at 04:53 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 06:26 PM   #1276
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can confirm.

Our tomato plant which started last year the size of a football grew into the size of a small tree lol. It crushed the plastic cage and overtook our entire garden. Must of had 1000 cherry tomatoes.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #1277
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a landscaping company they'd recommend?

Looking to get some mature Aspen's planted in my backyard. Thanks!
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:32 AM   #1278
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Calgary-Garden.../dp/1895618673

It's chock full of information. Any of the used bookstores in town should have some available.

Lee Valley has the absolute best gardening tools. I wouldn't buy them anywhere else. I regret all my cheap purchases.

It's a little late to start some things, if you want to try something out that's easy look for "Tumbler" tomatoes. They should already be in a hanging pot, so you just need to water. You can still start lettuce and carrots. Get "Nantes" as the carrot variety, or anything else as long as it's not "Imperator". For lettuce just select what you like.

Just those three things will make you hate all grocery stores

Last edited by Shazam; 06-09-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #1279
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hi there,
I have learned after 5 or so years of planting a vegetable garden in my backyard in Calgary, a substantial size too, about 30' x 20' is my garden area, with about 20' x 12' of that as actual garden bed being lined around my back corners by raspberries and strawberries. We added a 10x8 greenhouse last year to it, which will house all my things that can get damaged by hail, particularly tomatoes and peppers, some lettuces.

Things that grow well for me are those things that stay underground until harvest. Any root vegetables you can think of, I usually grow a bunch of potatoes, radishes, carrots, and a bunch of other normal favorites. If you want tomatoes, be prepared to cover them with an old sheet during heavy rain/hail storms or you will have a bunch of damages tomatoes, which sucks.

Herbs in planters, deeper the planter box the better, they will grow large, but can be brought inside if hail is coming! I also have issues with slugs eating my lettuces I grow in the ground, so I am going to get some copper mesh this year to see how that goes.

The best thing to grow in Calgary in terms of lettuce like produce is kale, that stuff grows until December if the weather is nice. Frost doesn't bother it that much at all. The second best for me has been spinach, grows like crazy and you can just keep on picking it all summer long, mine is already producing enough for a single salad each week (started in the greenhouse in a pot, moved a few weeks ago outside).

If you have a south facing area in your yard, try to put your veggie garden there, the more sun the better. My garden gets sun all day long up until about 4 or 5 pm because of our fence we built to keep the dogs out of it.

PS, some plants are poisonous to animals, like the leaves of rhubarb and potatoes, so keep them out of those plants (we learned that lesson too).
Old 06-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #1280
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Does anyone have a landscaping company they'd recommend?

Looking to get some mature Aspen's planted in my backyard. Thanks!

Know a few people who've been happy with Blue Grass Nursery. They're the ones that do the growing and they'll also come in and deliver/plant the trees for you.

Landscaping guys will just be getting the trees from them anyways. This way you can go out to the yard, pick the tree (if you care that much) and have them deliver/plant it for you.

Out by Balsack mall
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies