Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #381
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Just finished season 1 of Succession. Took me a while to get into it, I'd say around episode 6 is where it pulled me in.

Gonna get binging on season 2 & 3 now.
We finished season 2 in the last two days. Just fantastic stuff.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:55 PM   #382
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished season 3 of Succession. Wow talk about a show that delivers the goods. I love how they lean into their characters. Huge laughs, huge tension. The dialogue and performances on this show are incredible.

One nitpick. In this last season, Shiobhan and sometimes Kendall started adding “yeah?” at the end of every second sentence. That’s just a mannerism that drives me crazy IRL.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #383
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. I was in the middle of working my way through 30 Rock and they suddenly pulled it. Probably something to do with NBC and their streaming service.

All these different services are getting out of control.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #384
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
unfair. The Ricky Gervais and Norm Mcdonald ones are excellent.
I quite enjoyed the Larry David one, too.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 01-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #385
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Ugh. I was in the middle of working my way through 30 Rock and they suddenly pulled it. Probably something to do with NBC and their streaming service.

It was always coming though. everyone thought the death of paying for cable was like this huge win for the consumer where we'd pay $20-$30 a month and watch everything.

Between internet, streaming services and sports, they were always going to work their way back to getting well over $100/mnth from the average consumer, and they're almost back.

Now it's like $70ish for internet, $50 for let's say three streaming services and another $20-$30 a month if you have sports that you want to still follow. Suddenly that $110-$$140 cable bill ain't the preposterous dinosaur bill it's been mocked as.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #386
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

For me with Flames, Blue Jays, Raptors, Golf and F1, I don't see a cable package as that cumbersome really.

I pay $104 on a two year contract. For that I get internet, HBO/crave, every sports channel I need, 4k for TSN and sportsnet, some movie channels and medium TV. Then I pay $17 Netflix and $8 prime (but I don't even count that cause I have that for free shipping) and apple for $8.

So to break it down

Cable package $104
Netlfix $17
Apple $8

Total $129

alternatively

same internet from cable package $70
HBO/crave $20
sportsnet go for Flames/blue jays raptors $30
netflix $17
apple $8
golf streaming $8
F1 streaming $4

Total cost $157

So although everyone is different, and absolutely cable is less valuable if you don't watch sports, I actually save money with a cable package and I get 4k sports and get the ease of flipping between sports games and TV.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #387
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

And suddenly it's back. Crave's always been a clunky platform so I shouldn't be surprised it glitched out.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #388
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite Crave feature is the "skip intro" button that is active for about 5 seconds. Just long enough to pickup your phone and unlock it, have your finger millimeters from pressing it, then it vanishes. That's the ticket.

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-03-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #389
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, totes! Worst intros for me were game of thrones and westworld. Way too long and like 'hey let's play 3 notes total and make it all dramatic'. Garbage
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #390
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trick is to hit the rewind 10 seconds button, then you get the skip intro button back. Annoying, but not as annoying as trying to use the tiny slider to advance 90 seconds, or whatever. Sometimes I wonder if any of these UI programmers every actually sit down and use their own product for more than 3 seconds.

Like on Prime when you are watching a series, and from the series page it has a quick access button that says "watch episode 3 again". Why would I want to do that? I'm on episode 7. Why wouldn't it say "watch episode 7 next." Who are these people who want to watch episode 3 again? Who programs this garbage? Who in QC lets it past? It's not like these are small companies making rookie mistakes. They are THE giants of industry, and so much of it is crap. And most of these glitches are around for ages.

Sorry, ranting now.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #391
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Like on Prime when you are watching a series, and from the series page it has a quick access button that says "watch episode 3 again". Why would I want to do that? I'm on episode 7. Why wouldn't it say "watch episode 7 next." Who are these people who want to watch episode 3 again? Who programs this garbage? Who in QC lets it past? It's not like these are small companies making rookie mistakes. They are THE giants of industry, and so much of it is crap. And most of these glitches are around for ages.
Yeah that drives me mad on Prime as well. I just automatically assume every streaming service except Netflix released their service a year or 2 too early and just hope people don't get upset about it. Prime, Disney+, Crave, etc all feel like they need a lot of help to get more user friendly.

Disney+ is still recommending I "finish watching" a bunch of shows I've already finished because I didn't watch the entire credits or something.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #392
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, ya Crave sometimes assumes you want to re-start the episode you just finished because you stopped at the credits. Accessing the full series page from "continue watching" isn't possible. So you ave to search for it again if this happens. For some reason Star Trek Discovery never appears on my "continue watching" page, so I have to go to "My cravings" and find it there. Just an astounding amount of failures.

Netflix is by far the best, though they also do the thing where your "continue watching" row randomly bounces up and down the page.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #393
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird the skip intro button doesn’t go away on my roku tv app. Just have to click enter and it comes up again.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #394
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Billions is back January 23rd!
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #395
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Timely, I'm re-watching The Sopranos right now. Amazing show. Some of the racism rubs my girlfriend the wrong way (She'd never seen it before) but I understand that it's a product of its time and whatnot
The Sopranos is the greatest TV show of all time.

I think it has even gotten better over time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #396
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
The Sopranos is the greatest TV show of all time.

I think it has even gotten better over time.
It's definitely up there there with the best. It's also 99% of the reason we've had such great TV since it came out. It forced everyone else to up the quality of their scripted programming.

At this point, it's almost better to treat Sopranos as a "period piece", in the same vein as Goodfellas or Godfather. It helps get over some of the dated storylines and racism.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #397
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t even think it’s that the sopranos is a product of it’s time when it comes to racism. I highly doubt gangsters have become woke supporters of racial equality in the last 20 years. I’m sure they’re just about as bigoted and homophobic as they were in 1999.

The racism and homophobia should make people uncomfortable and it should rub people the wrong way because it’s atrocious. It’s also probably pretty accurate.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #398
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just completed Crime of the Century by HBO and the Washington Post. A really good detailed look at the opioid crisis in the United States. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:58 PM   #399
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s an odd little hockey movie on Crave right now called Odd Man Rush. It’s not great but it ain’t bad and hockey movies are pretty rare
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:03 AM   #400
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There’s an odd little hockey movie on Crave right now called Odd Man Rush. It’s not great but it ain’t bad and hockey movies are pretty rare

That’s the one with Dylan Playfair isn’t it?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote