Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #161
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I’ve found out I’m lactose intolerant, which makes conventional whey protein a no-go. Anyone have experience with any good plant-based protein powders or lactose-free whey isolates that can be mixed with water at work?
I have no experience with it, but pea protein is a pretty popular substitute and supposed to be good.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #162
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve found out I’m lactose intolerant, which makes conventional whey protein a no-go. Anyone have experience with any good plant-based protein powders or lactose-free whey isolates that can be mixed with water at work?
A really pure whey solate should have almost no lactose in it. I'm also lactose intolerant and have no issues with it. It's a matter of how lactose intolerant you are, out the purpose of whey protein is to remove the fats and sugars, including the lactose.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #163
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a struggle to find Vegan protein that tastes as good, the Garden of Life brand is my favorite of those I've tried but it's usually pretty expensive.
https://www.gardenoflife.com/

Also, I sometimes take these greens + proteins and they're pretty good. Mix well with almond milk for a green smoothee type taste.
https://www.ergogenicsnutrition.com/...s/hemp-greens/

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 02-26-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #164
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
No. Arg. If you dont get it look it up. Concentric Only Training. There are several reasons for it. Less chance of injury is one. Engaging a different metabolic process and different muscle fibers is the main reason. You can lift more and more often with COT. Here's a link that dumbs it down a bit.

https://drjohnrusin.com/concentric-only-training/
You look it up. In fact, how about you clearly state what exactly you don't disagree with? There isn't much proving that lowering the weight causes injuries, although some do state that. I have been more than fine for decades.

Many people do lighter dead lifts (and I certainly don't mean light, but you know what I mean) for an assortment of reasons, and often they bring the weight down. My gym doesn't allow drops either, so there is that.

I am perfectly fine doing sets of ten.

You are certainly freaking out about a bunch of stuff that I am being very uncontroversial about.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #165
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know multiple people who take this stuff and like it. I buy Whey from this place, as well as other supplements, but the vegan protein is a hit with people I know that use it.

https://canadianprotein.com/products...-protein-blend

http://i.refs.cc/2EZUxvhE?smile_ref=...o0MTI4NDUxNjd9 - for 5% off

Last edited by RyZ; 02-26-2020 at 02:19 PM.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #166
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No. Arg. If you dont get it look it up. Concentric Only Training. There are several reasons for it. Less chance of injury is one. Engaging a different metabolic process and different muscle fibers is the main reason. You can lift more and more often with COT. Here's a link that dumbs it down a bit.

https://drjohnrusin.com/concentric-only-training/
Jesus people will make up a bunch of crap just to be a ###### and drop weights.

The only difference between concentric and eccentric muscle contractions is the lengthening vs shortening under a load. Eccentric causes more microtearing as it's higher load, hence more muscle soreness, hence more strength gains. The only difference in metabolic process would be an increase in the blood markers from said micro tearing.

And when it comes to deadlifts the vast majority of low back injuries occur in the concentric phase as muscles are stronger with eccentric contractions than concentric.

You can lower more weight than you can lift. Try it with a curl.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #167
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yes, agreed. When I was adding weight, I gained a lot of muscle quickly but I eventually stopped due to repeated injuries of my joints.

I have done far better since pursuing endurance training - lighter loads lifted more times and at a certain pace.
Yeah this happened to me as well, I wonder if at a certain point you need to level off the weight. I'm a smaller guy with a naturally slim build, been going pretty hard the past 4+ years. I went to the gym with my 200 lbs buddy who works out regularly and is in good shape - I'm more around 150 lbs - and couldn't believe we lift the same weight. That was my first sign that I may be overdoing it.

I too was starting to suffer from chronic aches and pains to certain joints which would rotate around my body, I finally decided I was done upping weight and would just try to keep what I have, to prevent serious joint pain as I get older. I also have no desire to be all bulky, I prefer the toned, Jesus on the cross look, so I'm good with that.

Surely at a certain point one would hit a ceiling in terms of how much they can lift, shouldn't they? I think I've found mine. But I suppose its different when one is looking to maximize the bulky look, as opposed to what I'm going for.

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-26-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #168
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Everyone plateaus and then the gains come on significantly slower. For sure, lower the weight if mass isn't your goal, that is perfectly fine. I like to get up to a max weight workout, then drop down again and work on sets of ten, and after a couple months go back to the max weights. Works for me and I think everyone gets burned out and sore. By its very nature, it is supposed to make you sore, but not aches.

There should be concerns when there is chronic aches and pains...sometimes you can be stressing the body too much or not providing yourself with enough rest between workouts. And this is where we need to listen to our bodies...some people need more rest than others, and it is not always the same.

There are of course supplements out there, I don't really get into them too much.

Good job hitting it hard for nearly five straight years!
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #169
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Jesus people will make up a bunch of crap just to be a ###### and drop weights.

The only difference between concentric and eccentric muscle contractions is the lengthening vs shortening under a load. Eccentric causes more microtearing as it's higher load, hence more muscle soreness, hence more strength gains. The only difference in metabolic process would be an increase in the blood markers from said micro tearing.

And when it comes to deadlifts the vast majority of low back injuries occur in the concentric phase as muscles are stronger with eccentric contractions than concentric.

You can lower more weight than you can lift. Try it with a curl.

That's exactly my point. Essentric training rips your muscles up more and requires much more rest to recover between workouts. Concentric training does not and it comes very close to equaling the gains of eccentric training. When you add the ability to increase volume way beyond what eccentric training allows, you get greater gains then eccentric alone. Look it up if you want. I'm not interested in getting into a link fight with anyone. If you have better info than me then go by that. But I've read a number of things that explains it very well. Also, microtearing does not provide the only metabolic difference. There are several others.

And I'm not a guy who drops weights in the weight room. I'm just telling you why people do it. It's not to look cool or whatever. It's primarily to increase volume and decrease rest time. I did not invent the science behind it. I'm just telling why people do it. And also why adding weight is not the only way to increase strength and size.

The simple theory is that doing reps every day without needing as much rest will get you more gains. If you workout 3 times a week you might get 60 reps in lifting heavy. COT training would allow you to easily double the number of reps. Volume equals strength and gains. Pavel Tsatsouline explains it better if you need a reference. That Jeff Cavaliere guy also has several videos on it. Joe Rogan trains that way as to most UFC fighters. At the very least it adds the variety you need to get through plateaus.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #170
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's exactly my point. Essentric training rips your muscles up more and requires much more rest to recover between workouts.
Except this is literally what strength training is. The reason we undergo neurological and physiological adaptions that make us stronger is because lifting causes micro tearing in muscle. Micro tearing is the cause of the response. So less micro tearing means less muscle strengthening.

I realize you have gotten your information from articles and 'experts' but the fitness world is filled with people selling things and wanting to invent new ways to do things. Also a reason it's impossible to talk about this stuff because everyone ignores real science and physiology.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #171
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my god man. This is not new stuff. It's not just YouTube guys promoting it. There are loads of real research papers with way way more info than you'll ever need. But you guys are happy to ignore it. Just weird.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #172
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah this happened to me as well, I wonder if at a certain point you need to level off the weight. I'm a smaller guy with a naturally slim build, been going pretty hard the past 4+ years. I went to the gym with my 200 lbs buddy who works out regularly and is in good shape - I'm more around 150 lbs - and couldn't believe we lift the same weight. That was my first sign that I may be overdoing it.

I too was starting to suffer from chronic aches and pains to certain joints which would rotate around my body, I finally decided I was done upping weight and would just try to keep what I have, to prevent serious joint pain as I get older. I also have no desire to be all bulky, I prefer the toned, Jesus on the cross look, so I'm good with that.

Surely at a certain point one would hit a ceiling in terms of how much they can lift, shouldn't they? I think I've found mine. But I suppose its different when one is looking to maximize the bulky look, as opposed to what I'm going for.
Could probably keep gaining with enough calories and bulking phases.
"IF" that's what you're wanting to do, you may have hit a plateau for your frame and need to go into a proper bulk phase to get the extra size then cut again once you have too much "bulky" look.

You can only pack so much muscle onto a smaller body frame.
This is why a lot of lifters do bulking and cutting phases and over the course of many years they grow into bigger frames.

Only if that's your goal of course, not really mine either and doesnt sound like yours.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #173
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, yeah you're probably right. Yeah I'm not really into the bulky look, especially as a shorter guy. Those shorter, super bulky guys with short legs that look like they have no flexibility in their upper body look so ridiculous ha-ha. Also I'm just trying to maximize my body type with what seems ideal for it, I think that's the best way to do it. If I were naturally a bigger, heftier guy, I probably would try to get all bulky and thick. But as a naturally slim guy, I just go for the toned, athletic look and abs. Not forcing anything.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #174
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Thanks, yeah you're probably right. Yeah I'm not really into the bulky look, especially as a shorter guy. Those shorter, super bulky guys with short legs that look like they have no flexibility in their upper body look so ridiculous ha-ha. Also I'm just trying to maximize my body type with what seems ideal for it, I think that's the best way to do it. If I were naturally a bigger, heftier guy, I probably would try to get all bulky and thick. But as a naturally slim guy, I just go for the toned, athletic look and abs. Not forcing anything.
As a not so tall guy myself, I can say that you will always look good with more muscle as long as you keep your waist small. I get what you are saying with how that blocky look is weird, but as long as you have a small waist, it will create the illusion of length in your limbs. This concept that if you lift too heavy you're going to blow up and be blocky is totally false. True lean mass is very difficult to put on. Look at natural bodybuilding shows to see what is actually achievable without drugs.

I've found what works the best for me is cuts followed by bulks and then another cut, but keep in mind that bulks don't have to be insane. I'm talking about a 15-20lbs pound bulk followed by a 10lbs cut, which will add 5-10lbs of lean mass, which on a small frame is a lot.

For some reason, I have no idea why, training really hard and cutting for a few months, puts my body into a position where it automatically puts on good mass, as soon as I start eating more again. Eventually those gains stop, and it's time for the final cut.

Every time I plateau this knocks me out of it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #175
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm now on week 3 of F45 and am starting to feel more comfortable with the classes and dont have as much of the soreness/fatigue/difficulty recovering I felt during the first 2 weeks. I've gone all 13 work days to classes; the cardio days still kick my a$$ though.

I'm really enjoying the class structure, loud pumping music and surprisingly the group environment. I'm not weighing myself for official results until June 1 but I've comfortably regained 1 notch on my belt already

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 02-27-2020 at 01:37 PM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #176
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
As a not so tall guy myself, I can say that you will always look good with more muscle as long as you keep your waist small. I get what you are saying with how that blocky look is weird, but as long as you have a small waist, it will create the illusion of length in your limbs.
Lol whatever you say blockall

Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #177
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Lol whatever you say blockall

You're a very weird guy.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #178
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dunno if this is helpful, but reading into some of what you guys are posting, I recently bought a vegetable spiralizer for shtis and giggles. I got hand turn one for cheap ($10), so why not tinker around with it? It functions kinda like a pencil sharpener. If any of you guys are looking for a slightly different way to introduce more veggies into your diet, this might be worth looking into.

This thing is surprisingly amazing! It's a little pricey at regular price, but if you really get into it, it's well worth the cost. The extra for the spring loaded hand crank or the electric ones might be worth it if you decide you just need to run through pounds and pounds of veggies, but I wouldn't immediately leap towards those unless you're certain you'd use it. I kinda wish I had the hand crank or electric versions at times. It usually takes around a minute per 2-3 inches of veggies.

You can shred things like zucchini, carrots, cucumber, potato etc and supplement or replace noodles. I did a half spaghetti and half zucchini for a cream sauce pasta and my wife loved how it didn't completely seem like a veggie and awesome how the pasta seemed lighter than normal vs being a heavy meal. My toddler also liked eating these veggies after I blanched them because it was an interesting shape and still a fun texture. I also tossed some of this stuff into salads to give it an extra dimension.

I didn't buy this specifically for health reasons. It was just another toy for the kitchen to experiment with. But it has gotten way more usage than I expected ever since I bought it.

This is the one I got.

vs these ones which are several times more expensive, but worth it if you use it a lot.

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #179
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I am laughing out loud here, is that relevant or do you get a kickback or something? Are you Billy Mays?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #180
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
^ I am laughing out loud here, is that relevant or do you get a kickback or something? Are you Billy Mays?
Sorry, I think my brain kinda merged the discussions of this thread with the other keto diet thread after stumbling over the metamucil comments a few pages back.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: